Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fix a crack in concrete roof

• 06-06-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

hi

there is a crack ( about 2 ft long and thin'sh) in the concrete roof of a hall way that has let in ran and damaged the ceiling.

I was planning to widen the crack slightly and drill a non through hole at the thin end of the crack ( to prevent it travelling further ) and then use some sort of mastic to seal it up.

Two questions I have

1. suitable

2. what sealant should I use ?

thanks inadvance

brendan

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Just to clarify your Concrete roof is letting rain in? If this the case you may want to inspected the outside. This sounds highly suspect to me
    > how old is the roof/ concrete?
    > what is the concrete span?
    > is there any ponding or signs of water ingress above?
    > would it be best to replace it or at least seek advice from an Eng., encase the whole lot decides to fall non your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi

yes the the crack is on the outside and while it is long at about 2 feet its very thin at its widest point and narrows down to a hair's width

> how old is the roof/ concrete? = > 30 years approx

> what is the concrete span? => 4ft x 12ft

> is there any ponding or signs of water ingress above? => none that i can see as its a very thin crack but the brick directly below the widest part of the crack is badly stained

> would it be best to replace it or at least seek advice from an Eng., encase the whole lot decides to fall non your head?

dont know if it requires this level of intervention yet but i will give it some thought

I have heard of a product called "water bar" which i'am currently investigating.

thanks inadvance
    brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Quick and dirty fix is to use bitumen mastic about six euro a tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi peter

excellent idea

thanks

brendan

Advertisement