Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This weeks offer..........

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I would have thought the Aksium were more or less entry level wheels themselves, although with tyres and tubes as well its certainly decent value.

Did you not just shell out on a TT bike recently - what wheels are on them? I assume the road bike will be now downgraded to the training bike so the good wheels should be on the TT if they are not already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

they are amazing wheels

yes i have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

catweazle wrote: »
    I would have thought the Aksium were more or less entry level wheels themselves, although with tyres and tubes as well its certainly decent value.

Did you not just shell out on a TT bike recently - what wheels are on them? I assume the road bike will be now downgraded to the training bike so the good wheels should be on the TT if they are not already

Ya TT on order and should have it in a few weeks, the wheels on that are just above entry level i think.

They are Alex Race 32mm rims, stainless spokes, Formula alloy hubs

After chatting to a few in the club my plan is to hold off for a few months to save and spend about 900 on a set of wheels that i can use on the TT for racing and road if i need to use it to race ( lost sheep etc )

No point in buying these, put the cash towards the decent set.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Ya TT on order and should have it in a few weeks, the wheels on that are just above entry level i think.

After chatting to a few in the club my plan is to hold off for a few months to save and spend about 900 on a set of wheels that i can use on the TT for racing and road if i need to use it to race ( lost sheep etc )

No point in buying these, put the cash towards the decent set.

Keep saving, buy a power meter instead of fancy wheels

d4r3n wrote: »

Any reason for that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

That was my plan too until I spotted a spotless set of 404's on adverts a couple of weeks ago. In my defense I just don't have the time to dedicate to understanding and getting the best out of training with power at the moment.

Any reason for that ?

For me it's being able to see improvement over time, see when I'm overtraining/tired, training specificity and pacing.

I know fancy wheels would make me faster, but so does a power meter albeit it's not as bling as a set of 808's and doesn't make a cool noise.

For me it's being able to see improvement over time, see when I'm overtraining/tired, training specificity and pacing.

I know fancy wheels would make me faster, but so does a power meter albeit it's not as bling as a set of 808's and doesn't make a cool noise.

Would a stop watch over a set distance not be a lot cheaper;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The problem with that is that you could do it one week with a headwind and the next week with a tail wind both times outputting the same power but with the results looking like a huge improvement.

I think training with power is only worth it for the top guys in Sprints/Olympics. the rest of us will benefit from more time on the bike and training specificity. HIM and IM athletes I think more can benefit from it as it allows them to race at a set level they know won't impact their run.

/canofworms

If that's what you think then I think a power meter would be wasted on you, go buy a set of bling wheels :)

• Advertisement

If that's what you think then I think a power meter would be wasted on you, go buy a set of bling wheels :)

If you don't understand sarcasm then that comment was wasted on you:)

The problem with that is that you could do it one week with a headwind and the next week with a tail wind both times outputting the same power but with the results looking like a huge improvement.

I think training with power is only worth it for the top guys in Sprints/Olympics. the rest of us will benefit from more time on the bike and training specificity. HIM and IM athletes I think more can benefit from it as it allows them to race at a set level they know won't impact their run.

/canofworms

Ah i know that.

I agree with you that its miles in the saddle that will show imporvments along with some specific training on hills etc to help in certain areas.

Along with losing weight for me, no point in having a light bike and wheels if i don't get the weight down myself.

Just to add if i had 900 in the morning to spend on wheels what wheels would people advise me to look at.

If you don't understand sarcasm then that comment was wasted on you:)

That's satire for you, or do I mean my response? ;)

Ah i know that.

I agree with you that its miles in the saddle that will show imporvments along with some specific training on hills etc to help in certain areas.

Along with losing weight for me, no point in having a light bike and wheels if i don't get the weight down myself.

Just to add if i had 900 in the morning to spend on wheels what wheels would people advise me to look at.

If you've weight to lose I wouldn't bother with lightweight wheels, but that's just me.

I don't think you'll buy much for €900 with the mainstream brands, best bet might be the likes of the eBay/Chinese/Planet-X wheels if you fancy some aero.

If you've weight to lose I wouldn't bother with lightweight wheels, but that's just me.

I don't think you'll buy much for €900 with the mainstream brands, best bet might be the likes of the eBay/Chinese/Planet-X wheels if you fancy some aero.

I don't mind buying a set of second hand that are well looked after. I hope to have most of my weight lost by the end of the year so i'll get the benefit in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice one for the link Elvis, by chance I ordered a replacement rear Askium wheel for training this morning from LBS for €110 as my other broke a spoke a few weeks back.
    Quickly cancelled that when i seen this offer:)

Front Aksium used wheel now for sale:)

Advertisement