Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ireland in the premier league

• 06-06-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

This is something that i have always thought about.
    Would the Irish squad be good enough to play in the premier league?
    I dont think they'd win the league or get relegated, i think they would probably finish around 9th.

They could pick their team from anyone eligable to play for ireland (so stephen ireland could play).

What do y'all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Stephen Ireland can f87k off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Relegated by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

mackeire wrote: »
    This is something that i have always thought about.
    Would the Irish squad be good enough to play in the premier league?
    I dont think they'd win the league or get relegated, i think they would probably finish around 9th.

They could pick their team from anyone eligable to play for ireland (so stephen ireland could play).

What do y'all think?

We would struggle for goals. Draws while ok in a small group qualification are of little use in a 38 game league. We would be similar to Wolves I think struggling year in year out but with slightly better personal so maybe 14-17th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Teams with a core largely comprised of promising young English talent are usually very popular, so I'd imagine Ireland could become a lot people's second team! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It would also be pretty lol to see the Irish barstoolers cheer for Man U/Liverpool etc. when playing Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Relegation most likely, too many draws

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Teams with a core largely comprised of promising young English talent are usually very popular, so I'd imagine Ireland could become a lot people's second team! :pac:

Is it... largely English I mean :confused:

The last Irish starting XI in a competitive fixture was...

Shay Given (Donegal);
    John O'Shea (Waterford),
    Richard Dunne (Dublin),
    Sean St Ledger (Birmingham),
    Stephen Ward (Dublin),
    Damien Duff (Dubin),
    Glenn Whelan (Dublin),
    Keith Andrews (Dublin),
    Stephen Hunt (Waterford),
    Robbie Keane (Dublin),
    Kevin Doyle (Wexford).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

the majority of the present irish team were born in ireland id say with the exception of a few:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Ireland would do well in the Premiership, if bought up by an arab sheik and the entire squad was replaced with actual talent.

F€cking stupid thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd guess they would be midtable somewhere but not at the higher end of that spectrum. lads if there is a pacman smiley at the end of a statement no need to quote it and argue against whats being said as the poster is indicating they are joking / not being serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Irish barstoolers

crying-baby.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on who's the manager? Trap? Chris Hughton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The midfield/defence doesn't have enough goals in it and Doyle/Keane/Long wouldn't be able to score enough to compensate. So they'd struggle in the PL and maybe finish 15-18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Could they sign Robbie Brady, Houilhan and Clark and Wilson? The Irish contingent would be more than able to hold their own in the league. Better fight in them too. Think of all the potential in the LOI, a factory for producing players right on thier doorstep.

Ireland would be like Atletic Bilbao. Some Irish millionaire should make this happen. Start in the Blue Square or where ever you start.

Actually scratch all that, allow Celtic into the The Championship and have a policy of signing only those with Irish blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Actually scratch all that, allow Celtic into the The Championship and have a policy of signing only those with Irish blood.

an utterly obnoxious idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'd say they'd be relegated. Not enough firepower up front, strength in depth a major worry going into the 2nd half of the season and they would get two draws when everyone around them was getting a win and a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

We would never score enough goals, and after a few injuries we would really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Allow a Scottish team into the second tier of English football, and then fill their squad with Irish players? Sure let's put a statue of Michael Collins outside the ground while we're at it :rolleyes:

In unrelated news.. the schools finished up for summer last week.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Allow a Scottish team into the second tier of English football, and then fill their squad with Irish players? Sure let's put a statue of Michael Collins outside the ground while we're at it :rolleyes:

So you don't think it's a runner? Damn I was so close. All I needed was two thanks!

*puts cheque book back in the drawer.

mike65 wrote: »

Not a fan? Too bad. I needed you so my grand vision would be complete!

I'll just have to buy Rangers instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thats some brainfart you're after having!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I take it you all feel Athletic Bilbao are an utterly obnoxious idea of a club then?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I take it you all feel Athletic Bilbao are an utterly obnoxious idea of a club then?

Getting a Scottish club to play in England to develop Irish players is the same as what Bilbao does! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mike65 wrote: »
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Dempsey wrote: »

homepage0.jpg

stovelid wrote: »
    homepage0.jpg

You give him too much credit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

You would have to have Doyle,Hunt,Ward and Foley in the team.
    Although that team might get relegated.:D

Then you should have Given,Dunne,Clark and Ireland in the team.
    Then again,that team might nearly get relegated.;)

Dempsey wrote: »

You don't think my idea can work? I seemed so close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

You don't think my idea can work? I seemed so close.

You should probably start them off in the Blue Square North tbh, give a nice air of legitimacy as they pluckily fight their way up the divisions over several decades. Maybe change the name to 'Glasow Irish' too in order to capture the public imagination.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    You should probably start them off in the Blue Square North tbh, give a nice air of legitimacy as they pluckily fight their way up the divisions over several decades. Maybe change the name to 'Glasow Irish' too in order to capture the public imagination.

Hope renewed.

*takes back oput cheque book.

IN YOUR FACES BOARDS.IE SOCCER FORUM!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I'll just have to buy Rangers instead.
    And fill them up with irish players??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

2ndcoming wrote: »

This post needs more publicity for how utterly and sensationally bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

They would be quite similar to Stoke.

Advertisement