Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earthquake strikes off Co. Mayo coast (4.0 mag)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Think that was just Mary harney doing a fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

At about 9am this morning a Magnitude 4 quake struck off the coast of mayo

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0606/earthquake-reported-off-coast-of-mayo.html

Brian Cowen fell off a rock near Achill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Who wants to blame Corrib and their gas pipes? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I knew that takeaway last night was a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm sure it's a disgrace they aren't covered by their insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its only Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

darragh16 wrote: »
    Its only Mayo

It's only "over there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

everybody in the west ready for hike in the insurance??

darragh16 wrote: »
    Its only Mayo

ah but it's kenny's mayo.... expect him to give them a disaster relief fund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Feckin' Fracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

thats quite a shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Light structural damage.

Slate fell off a roof, probably.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Light structural damage.

Slate fell off a roof, probably.

i bet a few telephone poles swayed too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Surely its only a matter of time now until the volcano at Croagh Patrick erupts, and floods the fcuking place with lava.

That's it, I'm definitely donning, and then wrapping my wellies in tinfoil now; I dont care how much of a Capt' Cautious I'll look like, we'll see whose laughing when I still have a pair of feet and all ye smart-arses are hobbling around on stumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mother nature must be also pissed off at Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ì hope nothing was Knocked over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

MagicRon wrote: »
    It's only "over there"

Exactly, so you understand

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Surely its only a matter of time now until the volcano at Croagh Patrick erupts, and floods the fcuking place with lava.

That's it, I'm definitely donning, and then wrapping my wellies in tinfoil now; I dont care how much of a Capt' Cautious I'll look like, we'll see whose laughing when I still have a pair of feet and all ye smart-arses are hobbling around on stumps.

Where's your God now, puny pilgrims!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

THIS IS IT, THE ELITE ARE TESTING HAARP, WE'RE FUUCKED, WE WERE WARNED OF THIS SWEET DREAMS SHEEPLE, I'LL BE IN MY BUNKER!!!!11!!!!one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Well I see the terrible puns have already flooded in. I just wonder how long it is until someone posts the same picture posted 100 tunes before in YLYL of a chair on its side saying NEVER FORGET or something. :rolleyes:

Pretty cool though, I want to feel an earthquake :( even though I didnt even notice a 5.3 one in Tokyo when I was there. Anything below 6 isnt really note worthy I guess but I wonder what the threshold for Ireland would be in terms of thing being damaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its only kenny and ring country...don't panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

4.0 constitutes an earthquake ?

It must be a slow news day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

4.0 constitutes an earthquake ?

It must be a slow news day.

In Ireland it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

It's a pity it wasn't down in Cork. We need something to wipe out the arrogant cock suckers. Sorry cork suckers. We'll see if their stupid little special pasdports save them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Nothing better than shakin' out the mayo, lonely farmers, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

"Tsunami Hits Belmullet - absolute devastation, all structures levelled, most agree, place looks way better"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im on the mayo coast and it really wasnt a big event. I heard the noise - something like thunder but I didnt feel any movement at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No jokes about Enda Kenny? FFS AH! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

MagicRon wrote: »
    Who wants to blame Corrib and their gas pipes? :P

Actually todays earthquake in Mayo happened only 15km from Shell's Corrib gas field - Shell started seismic work there last Friday - its a crazy coincidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

UISCE will be living up to its name.

The tsunami was probably 2mm high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Ireland is more at risk of being hit by a tsunami than, say, the Midwest USA or Central Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

mickdw wrote: »
    Im on the mayo coast and it really wasnt a big event. I heard the noise - something like thunder but I didnt feel any movement at all.
    And what about your cailin deas? Did the earth move for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Rango555 wrote: »
    Actually todays earthquake in Mayo happened only 15km from Shell's Corrib gas field - Shell started seismic work there last Friday - its a crazy coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Anyone get a few pics of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Rango555 wrote: »

Are you serious ? Is that true ? What does their seismic work consist of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Earthquake near Mayo... I thought we voted Yes for stability?

charlemont wrote: »
    Are you serious ? Is that true ? What does their seismic work consist of ?

http://www.environ.ie/en/Foreshore/ApplicationsandDeterminations/ShellEPIrelandLtd5611Jan10/ApplicationDetails/FileDownLoad,23321,en.pdf Page 38 outlines the method. http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/13495-MN17OF2012_SEISMICSURVEY_CORRIBFIELD-1.PDF Work runs from June 1'st to the middle of September.

http://afloat.ie/port-news/marine-wildlife/item/18887-corrib-gas-field-survey-breaches-eu-directive-says-iwdg

And it also seems that the work itself could be in breach of an EU directive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 poleshift

Look to the bigger picture and connect the dots...recently an unusual earthquake in italy!....and now this in ireland...and we have the so called HUM on the west coast of ireland....dublin city had unusual flood...ireland and the rest of the world are breaking weather records on a continuous basis for the last 12 months at least - indonesia's recent large earthquake, then we had the mexico quakes and back to the tsunami in japan...the mass deaths of birds, animals and fish all the world - bangkok had a record flood as did fiji.....earth changes....poleshift...do your research!....connect the dots....see the bigger picture..rather than delve in the superficial and wise cracks....you will get a big surprise...poleshift ning....global catastrophe on the way.....fracking or drilling for gas does not cause earthquakes - kinsale in cork never produced a quake!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Too many dots...didn't connect.

actually poleshift your right about the poles shifting..... it happens roughly once every 250000 years or so, and its started to begin again... it is estimated that within the next 10000 years the poles will have flipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

poleshift wrote: »
    Look to the bigger picture and connect the dots...recently an unusual earthquake in italy!....and now this in ireland...and we have the so called HUM on the west coast of ireland....dublin city had unusual flood...ireland and the rest of the world are breaking weather records on a continuous basis for the last 12 months at least - indonesia's recent large earthquake, then we had the mexico quakes and back to the tsunami in japan...the mass deaths of birds, animals and fish all the world - bangkok had a record flood as did fiji.....earth changes....poleshift...do your research!....connect the dots....see the bigger picture..rather than delve in the superficial and wise cracks....you will get a big surprise...poleshift ning....global catastrophe on the way.....fracking or drilling for gas does not cause earthquakes - kinsale in cork never produced a quake!

Yes because seismic activity and weather are totally related........

Advertisement