Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint flaking off plastered wall..Any ideas??

• 06-06-2012 10:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best way to attack a wall that has allmost all of its paint flaking off.A friend of the family had a builder and landscaper in to do some back garden work for them,but its gone a bit pear shaped now.:(

The new long feature wall/external plaster was done last October and the builder/landscaper painted it a nice blue colour.

Now the blue paint is flaking off everywhere.:mad:

Theres more flakey paint than anything else.And from what I can see,it was basicly just a lick of paint that was applied too.

What is the best way to remedy this problem and make it look good?

Would it be a case of wire brusing the badly affected areas of the wall and then applying a stabalizer solution,and then repainting with propper external masonary paint?

Theres alot of flaky paint and its a large wall,so whats the best way to remedy the problem.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had this problem.

I scraped it all back with a wire brush which took weeks.

They primed with with a paint stabliser and repainted. that was 4 years ago and not a hint of flaking since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

irishbird wrote: »
    i had this problem.

I scraped it all back with a wire brush which took weeks.

They primed with with a paint stabliser and repainted. that was 4 years ago and not a hint of flaking since

Thanks.

The wall in question is only 2 feet tall,but is about 30 feet long,and more of the paint is flaked off the wall,than whats actually on the wall now.

Quite shocking indeed.:eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

It sounds like it was still damp when painted, rent a goos steam cleaner it will have it off in no time then let it dry well before you do anything

650gs wrote: »
    It sounds like it was still damp when painted, rent a goos steam cleaner it will have it off in no time then let it dry well before you do anything

From a hire shop Im presumming?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Yep a good petrol one will have it striped in no time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If its as bad as it sounds, a decent domestic power washer should do the trick. All flaking paint should be removed. Allow to dry fully. mix stabiliser with your masonry paint and you're good to go.

dodzy wrote: »
    If its as bad as it sounds, a decent domestic power washer should do the trick. All flaking paint should be removed. Allow to dry fully. mix stabiliser with your masonry paint and you're good to go.

Its that bad allright.

More patches of bare plaster now,than actual sound/propper blue paint on the wall.

Shocking indeed,and to think that this wall was only painted lact October.:eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if there is no damp, pressure washer it all off
    Its messy but the only way
    Let it dry, stabiliser and paint over

Had this problem a few yrs back...did above and its perfect now...no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its that bad allright.

More patches of bare plaster now,than actual sound/propper blue paint on the wall.

Shocking indeed,and to think that this wall was only painted lact October.:eek::mad:
    Thats what happens Paddy, when you spend all your time fannying around with Philips Master LED fittings inside the house! The outside invariably suffers :D

dodzy wrote: »
    Thats what happens Paddy, when you spend all your time fannying around with Philips Master LED fittings inside the house! The outside invariably suffers :D

Thanks,yeah me and Philips Master LED lights allright....:D

The fcuked up wall and paint isnt my house though...its actually a friend of the familys back garden,and the wall is in a right state.:(

I feel realy bad for the person in question,as she paid out alot of money to get the work done last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement