Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert 2012: English Paper 2

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

Wednesday, June 6th
    2.00 - 4.30

All discussion and questions about English Paper 2 goes here!

Good luck everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GavinEire

Just done paper 1,went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Marcus95

Drama unseen was tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

One word - great.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Went better than I expected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

Marcus95 wrote: »
    Drama unseen was tough

Shakespearian was tough alright, non-Shakespearian was grand though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Marcus95 wrote: »
    Drama unseen was tough

It really was. The Shakespeare drama was really hard, I couldn't make heads or tails of it so I had to go for the Other Drama. That was OK.

Everything else was OK - I wrote 18 pages. I would have preferred if we had 3 hours though - I think I rushed the Unseen Fiction though it was pretty easy to understand.

Is there a topic for Paper 1? I found the Media Studies questions really random and awful - I don't think we even studied Product Placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Paper 2 was ok,but it really was long,I was right up to 16:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheoremOreo

I found that Paper 1 went much worse then Paper 2. I barely finished paper 1 and my essay was terrible. I even had extra time to do an extra question in Paper 2.

I found that Paper 1 went much worse then Paper 2. I barely finished paper 1 and my essay was terrible. I even had extra time to do an extra question in Paper 2.

I wish I was you, I was writing in Paper 2 until she grabbed it off me. In fairness to her she gave me an extra five minutes but I still couldn't get it done. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

What were the questions on the studied pieces, lads??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Paper 1 was grand, I did the speech one about young peoples lifestyles.

Paper 2 was awful I thought. The unseen poetry was hard. I didn't know how much to write for the questions as I felt I was going to waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 theginger

I was writing right up to the end in both papers... I well preferred paper 1, but that's just because I think its easier than paper 2 and you don't have to learn quotes etc... The personal writing options were tough though! I was banking on a story that you have to put the words into but that didn't come up :( All in all, just THANKFUL it's over!!! :D Bring on Irish haha

What were the questions on the studied pieces, lads??

Drama - (a) Identify a character from a play you had studied and outline some of the obstacles or challenges faced by him or her in the course of the play.

(b) What do you learn about this character from the way in which he or she deals with one or more of these obstacles or challenges? Explain your answer.

OR

(a) the opening scene of a play often convey information that is important to Thr audience, what important implores ion is conveyed in the opening scenes or scenes of the play that you have studied.

(b) in your opinion, how successful is the playwright in capturing the attention of Thr audice in the opening scene of the play? Support your answer with reference to your studies play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Paper Two was tougher than expected, but that's just me. I began with Drama. I did Shakespearian. It was tough enough... The directing questioning was easy though. Studied drama was straight forward enough - Merchant of Venice; bond plot and conflict between Antonio and Shylock.

Fiction was tough enough. Quite difficult to extract an answer worth 15 marks though. Studied was really tough for me. I just rambled on about Lennie Small. Upon hindsight, I should have done Curely or something. Oh well. Hindsight is a great thing!

Poetry was really difficult, but then again poetry isn't my strong point. I found it tough with the unseen. Studied was a fair bit easier.

So in general, a good enough paper but tough and tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Drama - (a) Identify a character from a play you had studied and outline some of the obstacles or challenges faced by him or her in the course of the play.

(b) What do you learn about this character from the way in which he or she deals with one or more of these obstacles or challenges? Explain your answer.

OR

(a) the opening scene of a play often convey information that is important to Thr audience, what important implores ion is conveyed in the opening scenes or scenes of the play that you have studied.

(b) in your opinion, how successful is the playwright in capturing the attention of Thr audice in the opening scene of the play? Support your answer with reference to your studies play.

Nice one. Handy enough. What about the poetry? If you don't mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Drama-
    I really liked the unseen Shakespearian
    Did Shylock for important character
    Obstacles were-being Jew in racist world
    -Jessica running away with Christian
    -Getting his bond off Antonio

Being Jew in racist world showed me he was stubborn because he wouldn't change religion

Proud because he wouldn't admit to caring Jessica fled

Deranged because he craved a pound of Antonios flesh.

Poetry-
    Loved the Boxer Poem

Did Going Home to Mayo,Winter 1949
    themes:childhood
    country living
    family

Fiction

Rushed through this.Not sure how it went really

Did Atticus for character I liked because of -
    courage-representing Tom Robinson
    brave-Shooting dog
    understanding-Mrs Dubose incident.

Hopefully it went ok

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Poetry:

1 (a) what powerful thoughts are conveyed by the poet in the poem.

(B) explain what you find interesting bout the language used by the poet in the poem you have chosen

Or

2 a. What topics/themes does the poet deal with in the poetry that you have studied?

B. Explain why you find the work of your chosen poet impressive. Give reasons

I. From the poetry you have studied, choose one poem in which The poet uses interesting language to convey powerful thoughts and feelings.

(a) what powerful thoughts and feelings are conveyed by the port in your chosen poem? Support your answer with reference to the poem.

(b) Explain what you find interesting about the language used by the port in Thr poem you have studied. Support your answer with reference to the poem.

OR

2. From poetry ou have studied choose a poet whose work impressed you.

(a) What topics or themes does the poet deal with in the poetry you have studied? Support your answer with reference to the work of your chosen
    Poet.

(b) Explain why you find the work of your chosen poet impressive, give reasons fr your answer with reference to his or her poetry,

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I messed up on the studied fiction. What the hell does write the text of a talk mean? A speech but more conversational? The most unusual studied question I have ever done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ButtonBox

I loved the Unseen Poetry!!!! :D I was so happy with that.
    And I thought the Unseen Drama was easy, so I went straight for that without reading the Other Drama! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Did anyone else feel that the unseen fiction was unfairly aimed at girls? Seriously how was a lad meant to "Relate to Jane" or "Find Micheal Attractive" ?

Did anyone else feel that the unseen fiction was unfairly aimed at girls? Seriously how was a lad meant to "Relate to Jane" or "Find Micheal Attractive" ?

I thought that too at first. But I think what they were getting at was that Michael was a likeable (is that a word?) character, not so much that he was like.. romantically (whatta word) attractive.
    That's what I thought anyway, but I'm not sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Haha yeah...I was writing about how I found Michael physically attractive and kept getting funny looks from the superintendent!! :P

Yeah I thought so too. I interpreted the "Michael Attractive" question as not attractive good looking, but an attractive personality. Probably fail that question now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

ButtonBox wrote: »

I thought that too at first. But I think what they were getting at was that Michael was a likeable (is that a word?) character, not so much that he was like.. romantically (whatta word) attractive.
    That's what I thought anyway, but I'm not sure. :)
    I think they said attractive as a character or something. It was a pretty easy extract overall.

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Haha yeah...I was writing about how I found Michael physically attractive and kept getting funny looks from the superintendent!! :P

:p haha. I thought it was that also for a while but then I realised it was supposed to be an attractive personality.

I think they said attractive as a character or something. It was a pretty easy extract overall.

Yeah I think that's what they meant, but it still is a mis leading question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

I still don't see how A DUDE is meant to relate to Jane :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Yeah I thought so too. I interpreted the "Michael Attractive" question as not attractive good looking, but an attractive personality. Probably fail that question now. :p

I assumed it was physical attraction. The reaction from Jane when he talks to her indicates she doesn't know him well, therefore doesn't know his personality and therefore doesn't fancy him because of his personality but rather his looks..

• Advertisement

Something like that anyway. :)

Advertisement