Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert 2012: English Paper 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Yeah I thought so too. I interpreted the "Michael Attractive" question as not attractive good looking, but an attractive personality. Probably fail that question now. :p

Oh no I said he was physically attractive but didn't have a nice personality,
    I didn't just do the physical side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Did anyone else feel that the unseen fiction was unfairly aimed at girls? Seriously how was a lad meant to "Relate to Jane" or "Find Micheal Attractive" ?

A couple of lads in my class started bursting out laughing when they came across this in the fiction :o

rte076.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I assumed it meant attractive as in personality. We were given no description of Michael's appearance.

Some great likes popping up on Facebook already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

lee3155 wrote: »
    A couple of lads in my class started bursting out laughing when they came across this in the fiction :o

rte076.png

:D:D:D:D:D;):D

I was LOL'ing at that also. It was really funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Did anyone else feel that the unseen fiction was unfairly aimed at girls? Seriously how was a lad meant to "Relate to Jane" or "Find Micheal Attractive" ?

Yeah I would agree it was easier for girls.

I just said that everyone has embarrassed themselves on front of someone they like before and that most teenagers are self conscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

rte076.png
    I was smiling like a maniac then realised I'd used 10/15 minutes I had reading it and carried on hastily :L

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

I thought the paper was fair , however I just needed ten more minutes rushed the unseen fiction . I stated that I couldn't relate because I don't care about how I look, I hate Tennis and I don't have crushes like she does. So that's about 5 marks , right? (All with quotes) .

Just a question, I felt part two of the studied poetry was looking for at least two poems from the same Poet . I didn't learn mid-term Break since First Year and I misquotes "poppy bruise on his temple" rather than "left temple" will I be penalised heavily for this?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I assumed it meant attractive as in personality. We were given no description of Michael's appearance.

Some great likes popping up on Facebook already!

she said he had a "smile that would make you love him even if you didn't like him" and we know he was very athletic...so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

lynchy101 wrote: »
    Yeah I would agree it was easier for girls.

I just said that everyone has embarrassed themselves on front of someone they like before and that most teenagers are self conscious.

It'd like putting a question on the next paper saying "Explain how it feels to have a penis" :L See, same problem for girls :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Did a love question come up for poetry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

Hmm... Rushed for time a little bit in that paper... A crazy urge overtook me at lunch to study the opening scene for Romeo and Juliet. Glad now that I did. :P Delighted with the studied poetry question, and to think that was the one I was stressing the most over. :p I surprised myself a fair bit by choosing the other drama as opposed to the Shakesperean one... Think i did ok... Off to do some serious studying for Irish. :p

Bazinga_N wrote: »

Nope! Thank God! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Ehm well it was very general.Just said a poem with strong themes or something.

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Nope! Thank God! :D
    B*****DS!! And everyone thinking it would :P

I just knew a poet question would come up.. I Just knew it :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

I said that Michael was attractive cus he was courteous, amicable, good at sports and somethin else. I ended saying he wasn't attractive cus he is a user or somethin like that. Cud I lose marks at all for sayin what he was like at the beginning and what he's like at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

As long as you stated it clearly e.g He is attractive because of A,b and c. However he is also unattractive due to X you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Leinsterr wrote: »
    I said that Michael was attractive cus he was courteous, amicable, good at sports and somethin else. I ended saying he wasn't attractive cus he is a user or somethin like that. Cud I lose marks at all for sayin what he was like at the beginning and what he's like at the end

He was a bit of a prick no ? Poor Jane didn't get the shift :'(

My superintendent now thinks I'm gay after reading the answer I gave for the question about thinking if he's an attractive character.

Bad thing is I have the same superintendent for the next 2 bloody weeks!!

Then again, my writing was very dodgy so maybe... just maybe she didn't understand my answer! :P

paddyzk wrote: »
    He was a bit of a prick no ? Poor Jane didn't get the shift :'(
    Thought she got offered a foursome?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

With things like the 'attractive' thing, you'd be surprised how easy they are. Normally is says something like this in the marking scheme:
    Allow for liberal interpretations of the word 'attractive'.

So whatever way you interpreted it, be it his personality, physical attractiveness or anything else, once the examiner can see where you are coming from and you back up what you're saying, you'll get the marks.

V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 GavinEire

My superintendent now thinks I'm gay after reading the answer I gave for the question about thinking if he's an attractive character.

Bad thing is I have the same superintendent for the next 2 bloody weeks!!

Then again, my writing was very dodgy so maybe... just maybe she didn't understand my answer! :P

lol initially I said he wasnt attractive cause I was a boy and then i went and said yes he was becuase I coudnt write anything about saying no,bit of a hard question yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Pretty Handy :)

Drama: Unseen was fine. For Studied I said Shylock is a main character, obstacles I mentioned were the abuse he endured everyday and Jessica leaving. Then in B I said that it was his responses and retaliations to this abuse that gave us a negative image of him.

Poetry: Again, unseen was fine. Studied was perfect for me. I did Q2 Heaney. :D

Fiction: Unseen was fine. People have to stop getting all worried about the attractive question. I'm a guy and I just said that obviously, from Jane's point of view, he is physically attractive. Attractive qualities were only skin deep, talked about him being a user etc. Then I said I liked Atticus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Still It was VERY biased towards girls.

Still It was VERY biased towards girls.

Maybe it was put their specifically for girls? ;)

I just noticed that it was a three part question and we only had to answer two of the questions, wonder why we all picked that question? :o

However, question one was horrific so I had no choice :D

Thought she got offered a foursome?

Yeah but her cousin would of been part of it so I'd say she denied it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saoirse97

I thought paper 1 the reading was kinda hard :s rest was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Jamez735 wrote: »
    she said he had a "smile that would make you love him even if you didn't like him" and we know he was very athletic...so...
    That's not exactly enough to write about how attractive he was. It's very unclear. And if it is about looks, it's extremely unfair for boys! They could have had; OR Is Jane attractive or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saoirse97

Leinsterr wrote: »

Oops I said he had an un-attractive personality ...said nothing about his looks...stress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Saoirse97 wrote: »

Oops I said he had an un-attractive persinanity.
    You're screwed lol. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

I got amazingly lucky with the boxer poem, because I am a boxer. I just basically wrote down what I myself went through and it was probably the best work in the exam that I did.

Advertisement