Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert 2012: English Paper 2

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

I kind of made a balls of the studied poetry question. For part (i) I talked about different variations of the theme of love instead of different themes (I did however call them separate themes).

For part (ii) I ended up mentioning yeats' poetry with different themes before briefly going into some techniques. I talked about his wide range of poetry and his techniques and said that this was why I found his work interesting. Will I lose many marks for this?

I also almost messed up unseen drama by misreading a question. Halfway through my answer I copped it and had to scrawl in little sentences and stuff so as to change the answer to fit the new one. Hopefully it's legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 silentscreams

hey! english paper 2 was grand. didnt have time to do the unseen fiction. done english paper 1 and 2 to my best standard. what grade do you reckon ill get since i missed out on the 30 marks??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 silentscreams

anddd for the studied poetry part b) i talked about the imagery of dulce est decorum est' is that ok???:-s

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eoghan24

I thought paper 2 went well enough but I was really surprised by the studied drama and novel question because I was expecting completely different questions.I also only had about 2 quotes in each so I'll probably do worse in those parts.Overall English was easy enough,I was actually surprised considering the way my English teachers have described it as being very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Ah Michael. That's not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 jonhsmith720

I did "the early purges for the studied poetry part (a) and talked about how he uses farm language to suit the poem. Was this the right choice or will i lose marks because of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭graeme157

I still don't see how A DUDE is meant to relate to Jane :confused:

It gave you the option of saying how you dont relate to jane. I said I didnt because she has no self confidence and doesnt htink she is good enough for some whos regarded as "cool" to talk to her. I then went on the describe how I am an overly confident, cool out, alpha male hehehe :)

The unseen drama in paper 2 was actually funny. Can't beat sarcastic comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭graeme157

orriray59 wrote: »
    I got amazingly lucky with the boxer poem, because I am a boxer. I just basically wrote down what I myself went through and it was probably the best work in the exam that I did.

Lucky bastard, I wrote four lines for that answer :mad:

Any have the balls to write you don't think michael is attractive cos youre not a fag? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

That's not enough tbh, if you want to explain how he's attractive you'll have to give details about his body - the examiner could be a strict old man who obviously doesn't want to read a paragraph about a dreamy teen, does he :whistle:

Exactly, and that's why I also talked about his horrible personality. I was just pointing out that some physical details about him were mentioned, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 puffffs

Hmm
    I thought that paper 1 was much more difficult!
    I found that Paper 2...well I WAS alot more calmer but not so much prepared.
    Though I think I did alright. :')
    I answered Q.1 on all studied stuff.

Paper 1 the Reading was awful, I found the language quite difficult to understand :/ Oh well.
    Media studies I did the school magazine which I think went grand.
    Functional writing kinda bad...I was hoping for a book review.
    And yeah essay titles were dreadful but I had something I kind of worked into it...Not sure if it makes sense or if it worked.

ps I said Michael Collier was attractive character as he doesnt smoke,athletic and uhm is polite for inviting Jane when he didnt really like her(i know he was using her haha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 9 reddevilgirl96

the unseen poetry was really hard to write lengthy answers for

• Registered Users Posts: 6 theclient

Saoirse97 wrote: »
    Oops I said he had an un-attractive personality ...said nothing about his looks...stress

uh oh me neither.....i said he was arrogant (don't even know what that means :P),cocky andknows he is good looking and something else...:confused:

hey! english paper 2 was grand. didnt have time to do the unseen fiction. done english paper 1 and 2 to my best standard. what grade do you reckon ill get since i missed out on the 30 marks??

well each section in paper2 is 8% so taking into account other marks lost, you might get around 70%????? ;)

graeme157 wrote: »
    Lucky bastard, I wrote four lines for that answer :mad:

Any have the balls to write you don't think michael is attractive cos youre not a fag? haha

MEEEE!!!! i thought he was a right ****e and sed he was cocky and arrogant and stuff.....:D

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Paper Two was tougher than expected, but that's just me. I began with Drama. I did Shakespearian. It was tough enough... The directing questioning was easy though. Studied drama was straight forward enough - Merchant of Venice; bond plot and conflict between Antonio and Shylock.

Fiction was tough enough. Quite difficult to extract an answer worth 15 marks though. Studied was really tough for me. I just rambled on about Lennie Small. Upon hindsight, I should have done Curely or something. Oh well. Hindsight is a great thing!

Poetry was really difficult, but then again poetry isn't my strong point. I found it tough with the unseen. Studied was a fair bit easier.

So in general, a good enough paper but tough and tiring.
    I'm in the exact same boat as you.... my unseen poetry was complete waffle...i can't even remember what i said! paper 1 was better but the reading part was really tough i was overall disappointed with english and would be over the moon with a B!!!:mad::(

I messed up on the studied fiction. What the hell does write the text of a talk mean? A speech but more conversational? The most unusual studied question I have ever done :(

It's basically write what you would say when giving a talk..so yeah like a speech but not necessarily more conversational!

For studied poetry, i did question 1 and did dulce et decorum est by wilfred owe. for a) i talked about him hating war and people who promote it and the real brutality of war. for b) i talked about imagery, alliteration and similes and how it was interesting the way owen used them to portray his theme/message...would these be classed as interesting language and answer the question??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

theclient wrote: »
    For studied poetry, i did question 1 and did dulce et decorum est by wilfred owe. for a) i talked about him hating war and people who promote it and the real brutality of war. for b) i talked about imagery, alliteration and similes and how it was interesting the way owen used them to portray his theme/message...would these be classed as interesting language and answer the question??:confused:

i did the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Lol i wrote a page and 1/4 on how much of a conceited, manipulative selfish bastard michael collier was.
    the jane question was a bitch

• Advertisement
Advertisement