Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 Month Old & Speech

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:13am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My Son had his 18 Month check-up today.. Well he's actually not 18 months until the 23rd of this month..

Anyway.. The Nurse said he's doing great but she asked me about his speech.. she said he should have 15 words by now but I can't honestly say that he does :(

He says Mammy, Daddy, Nanna etc.. and a few others, if he see's a cat he'll say "Meaow" for example.. but he has yet to string a few words together..

I'm feeling a little deflated now, as I thought he was flying along, people are always telling me that he's very advanced for his age.. and he seems to be in all other areas..

She didn't seem very worried about it, she just said to give her a call if I'm concerned in a few months that he's still not saying much..

Anyone else have this experience? Should I be worried? :o

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

I have three kids under 5 and the youngest is just 18 months.....not sure how many words he can say but "bubbles" is his newest. what i've noticed with all three of them is that they will say some words constantly for a week or two and then seem to forget about them. they also all develop at different paces....so dont worry about it yet and see how it goes for the next few months. Also spend some time reading out loud to him and singing with him. for the last week or so my 18 month old is brnging a book over to me....but he's only mimiking his older brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

xzanti wrote: »
    My Son had his 18 Month check-up today.. Well he's actually not 18 months until the 23rd of this month..

Anyway.. The Nurse said he's doing great but she asked me about his speech.. she said he should have 15 words by now but I can't honestly say that he does :(

He says Mammy, Daddy, Nanna etc.. and a few others, if he see's a cat he'll say "Meaow" for example.. but he has yet to string a few words together..

I'm feeling a little deflated now, as I thought he was flying along, people are always telling me that he's very advanced for his age.. and he seems to be in all other areas..

She didn't seem very worried about it, she just said to give her a call if I'm concerned in a few months that he's still not saying much..

Thanks

NO, His fine.

My middle guy only had 5 words by the time he was 18 months (his fine he caught up at around 2 when he started joining word together), my eldest could talk the head off you at 18 months my 3rd guy was wordless.

Saying 2 words together happens at around 22-24 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

exact same timeline for my three

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys :) much appreciated :o

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Sorry to jump in here ....i have an 11 month old and he is babbling alot but no real words yet. He says mama all the time and i think he is beginning to connect me with it. He used to say dada all the time but hasn't in a month or two. Just wondering when should he start saying a few more words? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

They are all different OP don't be concerned in the slightest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Our 20 month old was slow enough to put words together, to the point that we went to a speech therapist who we booked about a month in advance, and typical of life, in that month a load of words came tumbling out. She's still not stringing words together but she's saying loads more in the last while.

But speech is only one aspect, if lockpicking was one, ours would be rated around a 12 year old, she can open ANYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

2-3 weeks can make a big difference at this stage. Plus it's just a general guideline, i wouldn't get bogged down in it. I can't honestly remember if my DS had that many words at 18mths (I have a feeling not) but at 25mths he is now a complete chatterbox and i'd say he could say mass! The main thing is he has some words and is trying to talk, he'll be picking up words like dust from now on, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

some of those public health nurses are awful. Ours destroyed my wifes confidence with our child after one of the checkups. I had to set her straight.
    They are supposed to check, advise and care not scaremonger! Your child sounds very like my 18 month old (tomorrow) and I know she is doing great and look forward to bringing her for the check this time!

sweetie wrote: »
    some of those public health nurses are awful. Ours destroyed my wifes confidence with our child after one of the checkups. I had to set her straight.
    They are supposed to check, advise and care not scaremonger! Your child sounds very like my 18 month old (tomorrow) and I know she is doing great and look forward to bringing her for the check this time!

Yeah, I was so looking forward to bringing him in cause we're so proud of how great he's doing.. First thing she did was ask him to point out his shoes to her and he just looked at her like "WTF"? :o I just wanted the bloody ground to open up.. What a random yet specific thing to ask of him..

They should give you a leaflet on what's expected of them at these things :D

Thanks again for all the replies, I feel a lot better now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my 20 month old isnt talking yet but is making a lot of noise and will copy something if you say it to him.
    He's jabbering non stop and points to things he's "talking " about. :)

He's also hearing 2 languages at home which does slow down talking.
    He has his 18 month check next week and I'm waiting for my wife to come home and tell me the PHN said he's not developing at the right speed:rolleyes:.
    Its just a pity I wont be there to tackle her on it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sineadc1984

I think they just go by the book!! My LO had been talking since she was about 14months she could put 3/4 words together clearly at her 18month old check and counted to 10 granted not every words sounds perfect but she has the jist!! She said to the phn "whas dat??" and pointed at something!! The nusre then started banging on that oh that wasn't very clear if, the mother is always going to understand them bla bla bla!!I was there thinking to myself F*%K you she just counted to 10 for you she's not even 2!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Ugh, I hate those check-ups. We took our 2nd girl to her 2yr appointment and the nurse was concerned that our daughter had virtually no speech - no real words, only a few clear sounds. She could get her points across, but almost never through speech. The nurse said that she could refer us for speech therapy but we said to leave it & let our daughter progress as she would.

The same PHN just randomly called us last week (now that our daughter is 2 yrs & 9months) & came out for another check up. Our girl is just starting to say some words, not very clearly & not with many of the hard consenants, and very few strung-together words. The PHN (the *same* one we had for the 1st appointment, mind you) was not at all concerned about our daughter this time & said her speech is completely normal for kids her age.

Makes me wonder what all the fuss was at our first appointment.

So, OP, really, blow off the PHN's concern - your child is 17 months! They'll be fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My girl turned 18 months this week. She probably has about 40 words, but I have not counted so couldn't tell you for sure. She has the occasional 2/3 words sentence but not very often. I havn't heard anyting more about developmental checks for her - at her 8 month check (actually late 6months if I'm recommending correctly!) the PHN said I'll see you when she's 2!

To be honest I am considering not continuing with the PHN checks because they havn't been much use at all so far! I have heard a lot of stories of scaremongering, especially with regard to developmental milestones. It is so, so important to remember that they are only guidelines, and all children develop at their own pace. I am working in a childcare setting where we have 10 month olds that are walking and 18 month olds that are not. One 22 month old has an outstanding vocabulary and can speak clearly and articulately about anything I have initiated, another boy, 3 weeks younger in the same class has only recently become verbal and has maybe 8-10 words in total so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lola92 wrote: »
    To be honest I am considering not continuing with the PHN checks because they havn't been much use at all so far!

Please don't do this. My DS has a hip problem and a hearing problem both of which were picked up by the PHN at a developmental check.I have a back problem that probably stems from the same hip problem my DS has now but it was never picked up or treated when i was a child cos 30yrs ago things were different so i'm very glad my son's problem has been spotted and he will get the operation he needs.

I think the PHNs place too much emphasis on specifics such as the example of the OP where they expect X number of words at a certain age but aside form this the checks they do are important.

My DS didn't say 1 word at his 2yr check up and then in the waiting room after when i was putting on his coat he started chatting away to me about the truck he could see out the window. Thankfully my PHN was more than happy to take my word that he could talk - she said they all get stage fright at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Sorry to jump in here ....i have an 11 month old and he is babbling alot but no real words yet. He says mama all the time and i think he is beginning to connect me with it. He used to say dada all the time but hasn't in a month or two. Just wondering when should he start saying a few more words? Thanks.

There's no hard and fast rule as to when he should be stringing word together, any chart is merely a guide. They all develop at their own pace, don't worry until they're around 4 and have virtually no speech, even then, see a doctor and they can advise whether there is cause for concern (apparently my brother didn't speak properly til 4.5 and he's one of the smartest people I know, just to qualify that, I know lots of smart people, he's just particularly intelligent).

http://childdevelopmentinfo.com/child-development/language_development.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

OP, you might want to look into apraxia of speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apraxia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apraxia_of_speech

My wife and I currently live in America, but we're moving back to Ireland soon, and from what I've seen online, there's not much discussion about kids with apraxia in Ireland. I could be wrong, though.

Anyways, our son is nearly 3, we were really worried about his speech around the 24 month mark when he still wasn't saying much. We got him setup with a speech therapist, and he was diagnosed with apraxia of speech around 2 and a 1/2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thanks

OP, I wouldn't worry about it, some kids have delayed speech and they seem to catch up overnight. Take the PHN's advice and just monitor his speech over the next few months. If you want to talk privately about this, feel free to PM me, I did a few months placement with 0-5 year olds as an SLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

My fella is the exact same age as the OP's and he just babbles constantly but none of them are words really. Most of his words are variations of DaDa. He kinda makes a hissing noise when looking at the fish in the aquarium, he kinda screams hi / meouw at the cats, di di when he sees mickey mouse. His only real word is Uh oh ... and he says All gone but it sounds like awww don. and he always sings it which is totally adorable. ....he certainly doesn't have 15 distinct words. Well he does understand some words but doesn't speak them - does that count?

It would never have occured to me that he was 'behind' in his development. same fella can unlock the screen on an iPad, scroll through screens til he finds the app that plays videos and then select his favourite cartoons. he sings ABC / Twinkle Twinkle in almost perfect tune (well hums the tune anyway. sings the theme tune to Pingu whenever he sees actual penguins, and recognises the mickey mouse hot dog song if he hears it (not necessarily seeing it). Loves to dance to music - I'd love to send him to one of those Jo Jingles classes for toddlers but the times / location don't suit us.

I know what my PHN is like and she'll probably tell me the exact same thing the OP's has. But I don't know when he'll be going in for this check up so I'll just have to train him extra hard for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

I suppose it is difficult for them to come up with developmental goals as every child is different, and I presume these goals are targets more than anything. But some PHN's can be such scaremongerers. At the 7/8 mth check-up I was told he was underweight because he was in a below average percentile, but the same boy used to crawl around all day like a lunatic and was constantly pulling himself up and cruising. Even now at 18 mths he still fits into some 9-12 mth tops and tracksuit bottoms. And I have to buy pants with adjustable waistbands or everything would fall off him. But I think he looks totally normal and I'm not a bit worried about his weight. I bet I'll get the same rubbish from her again this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son is almost 17 months and he's mostly babbling. He says oh oh if he drops something, yeah for yes, yeah which actually means no, hiya, a few animal sounds and that's pretty much it. It wouldn't occur to me to be worried about speech until well after 2 years.

I really wish some phns would stop this one size fits all approach to babies and toddlers. They develop at their own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

my lad has is 18-23 month check up in 2 weeks he hasn't many words he babbles and tries to have a conversation but that's it
    he says chu chu when hes sees Thomas and can sing twinkle twinkle so i hope that counts
    op what else do they check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

My son is 17.5 months (born Jan 7th). Up until a week ago he had 4 words, mama, dada, uh oh and ta ta but he's suddenly come out with loads more over the last few days. He now has ball, door, shoe, up, book and Emma (his minder in creche). The girls in the creche also said that they find that boys are slower than girls in speech development.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

I wouldn't worry, all kids talk/walk at different times, my son was 17mths before he walked and they were convinced there was some developmental problem, but there wasn't. He just did it when he was ready. My daughter is 16mths now and only really babbles still, there is a hint of a few words forming like mama and baba and dada, but I am not panicked. She is bright as a button and it will come to her when she is ready.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Karmella wrote: »
    My fella is the exact same age as the OP's and he just babbles constantly but none of them are words really. Most of his words are variations of DaDa. He kinda makes a hissing noise when looking at the fish in the aquarium, he kinda screams hi / meouw at the cats, di di when he sees mickey mouse. His only real word is Uh oh ... and he says All gone but it sounds like awww don. and he always sings it which is totally adorable. ....he certainly doesn't have 15 distinct words. Well he does understand some words but doesn't speak them - does that count?

It would never have occured to me that he was 'behind' in his development. same fella can unlock the screen on an iPad, scroll through screens til he finds the app that plays videos and then select his favourite cartoons. he sings ABC / Twinkle Twinkle in almost perfect tune (well hums the tune anyway. sings the theme tune to Pingu whenever he sees actual penguins, and recognises the mickey mouse hot dog song if he hears it (not necessarily seeing it). Loves to dance to music - I'd love to send him to one of those Jo Jingles classes for toddlers but the times / location don't suit us.

I know what my PHN is like and she'll probably tell me the exact same thing the OP's has. But I don't know when he'll be going in for this check up so I'll just have to train him extra hard for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

I suppose it is difficult for them to come up with developmental goals as every child is different, and I presume these goals are targets more than anything. But some PHN's can be such scaremongerers. At the 7/8 mth check-up I was told he was underweight because he was in a below average percentile, but the same boy used to crawl around all day like a lunatic and was constantly pulling himself up and cruising. Even now at 18 mths he still fits into some 9-12 mth tops and tracksuit bottoms. And I have to buy pants with adjustable waistbands or everything would fall off him. But I think he looks totally normal and I'm not a bit worried about his weight. I bet I'll get the same rubbish from her again this time too.

Aww don is still a word, they class a word as any word they make for a object doesn't have to be perfect. My 26month was little behind at 18 months the phn said don't worry she understand a lot and would follow little instructions. Now she talks all day 75% proper word the rest is her own words for objects

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

My little lad is in the same boat albeit a bit older, 23 months. He has 5 words, mama, dada, nana, more and eye and he can imitate most animals. I understand your frustration as I try using flash cards to teach my son to talk, to little avail. I use 3 flash cards per day and hopefully through sheer grit and perseverance he'll pick up one of the words. There is no point in worrying about your child's development until you give up yourself so keep up the good work and I'm sure your little one will keep you on the toes in other aspects of life..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the child.
    My now 3 year old could have a conversation with you at 18 months and could talk fluently by 2.
    Her baby sister is 16 months and can say mammy,daddy,dog,shoe,sock,treat,cracker and juice as well as the usual baba,dada,mama but I don't think they count.
    No idea when her lastnphn check up was but it was well before 1.
    Big sister was in crèche and I think that makes a huge difference,but it amazing how many words they pick up in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Any words, including mama, dada, baba etc count as words when it comes to speech development checks. Remember if you are really worried you can self refer to speech therapy through any HSE health centre. Waiting times in the Dublin West area are 9 months at the moment.

Thanks again for all the replies :)

He's really come along in the last couple of weeks.. loads of new words and has started to put them together i.e. "Hi Daddy" "Bye Daddy" etc etc.. so I'm really not worried about him for now, thankfully..

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

Christ I can't stand this crap at all.

When did it become a race for your little one to walk and talk?

Thank god as a couple we were of the same opinion on this.

We told the last Public Health Nurse to get out of our house when she started the "he really should be...." comments.

In our house, these half-educated nurses talking this crap.....forget it. We told her to get out the door and don't come back.

P.S. - They haven't been back and he's walking and talking without problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I told my wife to ignore the phn when he had his 20 month check last week when it came to his word count.
    He's processing 2 languages, of course its taking longer to decipher them.:D

Advertisement