Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weak nails

• 06-06-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Iv got really weak nails, they're not so much dry and brittle but 'bendy'.
    Anyone have any tips on how to strenghten them? Iv used various sally hansen products over the years but never really found they did much help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I would like the same advice please. I always have very strong nails until I had a manicure a few months ago! I always did my own nails in the past so can't help but think the manicure destroyed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Solar Oil is a fantastic nail treatment that has worked wonders for loads of people I know, including me!

Regular use of hand cream, Solar Oil, and using gloves for cleaning etc all protects hands. Never buff your natural nail, or use nails to pick at things.
    Use emery boards of 240 grit and stay away from coarse emery boards.

I have bendy nails as well and I do keep them filed to a certain length as when they get too long they can break if I catch them on something. I wouldnt be a fan of those polishes that say nail strengthener etc as nothing can actually make your nails stronger- they can only protect them to a certain degree and I always found nail hardeners just made my nails rock hard and they would snap even easier.

Mood- what was done during the manicure? Unless there was some pretty extreme filing or buffing done I can't see how damage could be done. Remember that your nail totally grows out after 3-6 months so any damage is gone with that.

Changes in diet, health etc all play a role in health of hair,skin, nails etc and its important to factor this in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Jennypops wrote: »
    Solar Oil is a fantastic nail trea

Sounds good, what brand do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Where can I buy Solar Oil?

They were over the top with the filing. My nail have only improved the the last few weeks. I assume the damaged part has grown out nearly (or should I say broke and pealed off!)

There's only one Solar Oil- by the fab CND...its the one oil I have used that actually is like a proper treatment for the skin & nails. I use it on my psoriasis as well and its brilliant.
    One of the biggest users of Solar Oil is a burns unit in Canada...its incredibly nourishing & regenerating. No other cuticle oil has come close for me.

You should be able to buy it in any salon that offers Shellac, or if you PM me I can give you a list of places as well.

Mood- glad to hear the damage is growing out, what we all need to learn to do is tell those overzealous filers to STOP and pull your hand away! Too often I have heard of peoples nails being filed right down to the nail bed and they bleed...bad training, no training and people who think nails are easy and a quick way to make money. Thankfully the industry is going to be regulated soon so education, insurance etc will be at the forefront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

I've had weak nails for years and tried loads of remedies, including Solar oil, which I found no better than any others. So, what works for one may not work for another.

I've had weak nails for years and tried loads of remedies, including Solar oil, which I found no better than any others. So, what works for one may not work for another.

Thats true, but when weak nails is down to damage to nails etc then Solar Oil is a fantastic treatment and one that I have seen a lot of people benefit from. Obviously the whole picture needs to be looked at and if treatments arent working then diet/health may need to be looked into.

Advertisement