Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virus still in there somewhere

• 06-06-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I got the oficla trojan, it got found with a virus scan in Microsoft security essentials. Ever since though I've been having freezing and malwarebytes is preventing chrome and firefox trying to make connections.

I've scanned with Microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes in safe mode but they can't find anything. I've run CC cleaner, wiped all internet catch and temporary files.

One symptom of the freezes when they happen is they seem to affect windows explorer, when I opened the task manager it would freeze and if I opened resource manager it had no data in it. If I open my games folder now it searches for ages and finds nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This virus seems to have done permanent damage, I've deleted chrome, firefox and VLC player as it was crashing when watching any format of video in full screen but the PC still freezes. Task manager is the first to freeze and resource manager seems to loose all it's data feeds. Also getting hard drive errors "Event ID 57, The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

Safe mode is even running slow at this stage I think all that's left is a fresh install??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you wish to try this before a reinstall.Remove MSE,install avast free, update and set it to do a boot scan.You will need to keep a eye on the scan,check on it every 10 mins or so.Also super anti spyware can catch more than malwarebytes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you sure the hard disk isn't on the way out (the slow down may be totally unrealted to the virus). I would do a hard disk diagnostics scan to be sure, also you can run a out of windows virus scan using Kaspersky Live CD jic there is a rootkit burried in there other software cannot detect, but freezing like that, slowdowns are common with a failing hard drive

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was kind of thinking along those lines myself but I was thinking graphics card because it freezes on full screen video.

I reinstalled windows last night though, it had gotten chronic the virus really did a number on it. Everything seems ok so far, what hard drive test should I run?

The main OS is on an SSD an Intel X25-M 80GB.

Advertisement