Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Kit, Lager or Canadian Blonde..?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been meaning to get a Coopers Kit for some time now,going to get the wife to pick me one up for fathers day.Can anybody tell me the pros & cons between the Lager & Canadian Blonde both taste wise and difficulty in making.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

To make a proper lager you really need to ferment it at 10C and lager it near zero for a month or so. Some of the coopers kits come with a lager/ale yeast blend so you can ferment it low at about 10C or ale fermenting temp of about 18C. I would go with the Coopers Blonde Ale with 1kg of light spraymalt like this http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_36&products_id=1044 . You can ferment this at about 18C no problem. Two can kits are worth looking at too as everything you need comes with the beer kit except brewing fermenters etc of cource, like St. Peters http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_156.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Cheers,what stage would the spraymalt be added at right at the start..?will this have much of an effect on the taste..?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Right at the start. You use it instead of sugar or brew enhancer. It'll improve the taste, there'll be less of a cidery tang which you often get with these kits.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Right at the start. You use it instead of sugar or brew enhancer. It'll improve the taste, there'll be less of a cidery tang which you often get with these kits.

Thanks,lucky I asked as I am not a fan of cider so this will help alot.I am buying from homebrewwest so would this spraymalt do the job..?

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/spraymalt-light-1-kg-1120-p.asp

One other thing,I was thinking of getting bottled water assuming it would have a better taste than tap water.Would this make much of a difference..?

Dub13 wrote: »
    would this spraymalt do the job..?
    That's the stuff, yes.
    I was thinking of getting bottled water assuming it would have a better taste than tap water.Would this make much of a difference..?
    Depends how bad your tap water is. If it tastes fine raw it'll taste fine as beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

mayto wrote: »
    To make a proper lager you really need to ferment it at 10C and lager it near zero for a month or so. Some of the coopers kits come with a lager/ale yeast blend so you can ferment it low at about 10C or ale fermenting temp of about 18C. I would go with the Coopers Blonde Ale with 1kg of light spraymalt like this http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_36&products_id=1044 . You can ferment this at about 18C no problem. Two can kits are worth looking at too as everything you need comes with the beer kit except brewing fermenters etc of cource, like St. Peters http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_156.

Those St Peters kits look nice ... must pick some up soon.

That's the stuff, yes.

Thanks,so the coopers brew enhancer you get with the kit is usless..?I am not sure about the tap water yet will have to think about that bit.

Thanks,so the coopers brew enhancer you get with the kit is usless..?
    You can use it, but you won't get as good results, especially with a pale beer.
    I am not sure about the tap water yet will have to think about that bit.
    If chlorine is the problem you can remove it with campden tablets, or just by letting the water sit out overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

currently making a coopers canadian, the instructions read as fermenting at at temp of 20 or so, tasted it tonight after 5 days of fermenting, starting to get that taste of alcohol, gonna bottle her on Tuesday hopefully and il let you know how it goes

stuchyg wrote: »
    currently making a coopers canadian, the instructions read as fermenting at at temp of 20 or so, tasted it tonight after 5 days of fermenting, starting to get that taste of alcohol, gonna bottle her on Tuesday hopefully and il let you know how it goes

Please do let us know,will be getting mine in the next week two so it will be nice to here from someone that small bit ahead.Did you use the coopers brew enhancer..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

I did the kit as well.Used all the stuff that came with it.Bought bottled water.Bottled it on the 29th of last.Opened one yesterday(I know it's a bit soon)Taste good,head was so so.Good lace in the glass.Opened one this afternoon.Low carbonation and no head at all.Will keep testing them ;)

Please do let us know,will be getting mine in the next week two so it will be nice to here from someone that small bit ahead.Did you use the coopers brew enhancer..?

I didnt get the brew enhancer so just used brewing sugar and tap water. Also have an IPA kit put aside to try next with malt extract

gonna bottle her on Tuesday hopefully
    11 days? Bit soon. I'd recommend giving it the full two weeks if you can. Anything up to about four or five weeks is better than bottling a beer that isn't fully finished.

11 days? Bit soon. I'd recommend giving it the full two weeks if you can. Anything up to about four or five weeks is better than bottling a beer that isn't fully finished.

Half the instruction videos on the net have lads bottling after 4/5 days.Is leaving it longer best practice..?

gonna bottle her on Tuesday hopefully

Il start checking the SG from Friday and bottle if it's level for the two days instead, it will be bottled for at least 3 weeks before I try drinking it

Half the instruction videos on the net have lads bottling after 4/5 days.Is leaving it longer best practice..?

Even on the Coopers dvd they said you should start testing the SG from day 6 and if you have 2 days with the same SG fermentation is over and should be bottled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1l1oCyCZKo&lr=1

Is leaving it longer best practice..?
    It is. The fundamental rule is make sure fermentation has finished: that you're getting the same gravity reading days apart. If it hasn't finished your beer will be overcarbonated and possibly explosive. Even when fermentation has finished, the yeast does some cleaning up after itself, removing some undesirable flavour compounds. This takes a couple of days, but is especially worth allowing for in a blonde beer where any off-flavour will stick out a mile. I find two weeks is a good rule-of-thumb time to allow everything to finish.

I find two weeks is a good rule-of-thumb time to allow everything to finish.

Thanks,with this tip and the spraymalt one I think my first batch should be alot better now.

Just realised I never put water in my airlock, am I right in thinking my wort will be fine,the airlock is more of a visual bubbling representation that your beer is fermenting

Yes, it'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Question.
    Start testing my beer and found out the carbonation is very low(1 carbonation drop/500ml according to the recipe) and I have very little sediment in the bottle.
    What went wrong?

Ratsathome wrote: »
    .Bottled it on the 29th of last.Opened one yesterday(I know it's a bit soon)Taste good,head was so so.Good lace in the glass.Opened one this afternoon.Low carbonation and no head at all.
    Ratsathome wrote: »
    the carbonation is very low(1 carbonation drop/500ml according to the recipe) and I have very little sediment in the bottle.
    What went wrong?
    I think you may have the answer to your own question here. Give the bottles another week or two at room temperature.

The Mrs missed the courier with this today,I hope they come again tomorrow.Another quick question,whats the best thing to use for sanitizing the gear..?something handy to get would be best.

I saw on a few forums you can use 30ml thin bleach,30ml white vinegar and 19L water as a no rinse solution.Mix the bleach with the water and NOT with the vinegar.
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Homemade_No_Rinse_Sanitizer
    I use it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

You need to pay attention to the instructions of the other half who do it properly.

Bottling early is a good way to end up with bottle bombs.

I got this on tonight,the gravity was 1.036 is that about the norm..?

Cheers for the help,will keep this thread updated.

When I did mine my reading was 1.038 and if you do the correction for the temp it was 1.040.So yours sound in that bracket depending on your temp when you took the sample.

@Dub my initial reading was 0.37. After 5 days it was down to 0.115 and just after checking on what is its 12th day of fermentation and is now down to .10.

Getting close to bottling stage and that slight dry cider taste it initially had has disappeared. Keep the faith brother!!

@Dub my initial reading was 0.37. After 5 days it was down to 0.115 and just after checking on what is its 12th day of fermentation and is now down to .10.

Getting close to bottling stage and that slight dry cider taste it initially had has disappeared. Keep the faith brother!!

Thanks for the update.How long you planning on leaving them bottled..?

• Advertisement

Il leave them bottled for 3 weeks, it seems to be the standard length. Im hoping the FG will drop another bit but i reckon i will have a beer of around 3.8 ABV

Advertisement