Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyowen Estate,Lucan,CO Dublin

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be viewing a house in Ballyowen Green,Lucan, link as below:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-ballyowen-green-lucan-co-dublin/1931993

I just want to ask:
    1) What people think of area, particularly the estate, as I know being St Mary Parish is one of the nicest estate in new lucan?
    2) Anyone knows hows the nearby green like, hopefully no trouble-makers hanging around there during odd hours.
    3) What you think house should be worth, I personally will never pay 235K for this house but might be interested if can get it for 10-15% discount.
    4) How far is the traveller’s settlement in Ballyowen lane from here.
    5) Any other comments welcome.

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Wrote a big reply and lost it!!! :mad:
    Long story short-def too high priced (IMO-asking 200-210, closing 185-190)-for that money I'd want to other side of the M4 or to stay in St MArys parish in that vicinity-Willsbrook, Bewley or St Andrews.
    Have noticed REA McDonalds price houses very high and they take a good while to sell. DNG seem to be pricing houses the keenest at the moment!
    Hope that helps
    Lyn256

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like any park, I wouldn't be surprised if you have one or two nights a year where a gang of teenagers gathers there and drink. I lived in the area until 2007 and walked through that park many a night without seeing even the slightest bit of hassle.

The settled traveller estate is way down closer to the Spar and the Penny Hill, there are no travellers on the section of Ballyowen lane on the far side of the park, that's all old private housing.

My main gripe living in that part of Lucan was always with transportation, but that estate has the bus stops on its doorsteps, and you're close enough to the N4 that you shouldn't be very badly affected by heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'm an original resident of Hermitage, until moving from there 8 years ago, and a sibling still lives in Ballyowen.

The house is over priced for the present market, but houses in Ballyowen and Hermitage have always held their price pretty well. It's a solid house, I doubt you would have any problems with it, despite it being 20+ years old. The estate itself is pretty quiet, most of the original residents had children in the first few years of moving in, so there are few teens still living there.

Ballyowen Park is quiet during the day, but the house is facing the upper end of the park-groups of teens have always gathered there, particularly around the large stands of tree's. They never venture past the hedge and into the estate though, so the most you might be troubled with is some loud talking late in the summer evenings.

The travellers encampment is up the road towards the Eurospar, just past Larkfield. They never caused any problems in the 20 years I lived there. They are very quiet and clean, like to keep to themselves, and don't tolerate trouble makers.

As Seamus said, transport is the main problem. The entrance to Ballyowen is regularly blocked at peak hours, it's a bit of a rat run, but in fairness it really only lasts an hour. Buses practically on your doorstep if you use public transport, and shops nearby.

Not sure about how much I might pay in your shoes, but I'd be thinking around 190ish. I wouldn't agree with Lyn256 about Bewley or St Andrews, they're both poorly built houses that have had plenty of problems, but Willsbrook might be worth a look to compare, it was built around the same time as Ballyowen.

(By the way, a bit of contentious local history for you-Ballyowen, Hermitage and Willsbrook are classed as Old Lucan, anything past Ballyowen lane/Willsbrook drive is "New Lucan"-it was originally part of Neilstown until unscrupulous builders advertised their new estates as being in Lucan Parish, after a huge uproar, the entire area had to be reclassified as being part of Lucan to pacify the new homeowners who weren't happy that their exclusive houses weren't so exclusive after all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Miharo

Having recently bought a house in the Lucan area and bid on several, I can guarantee you that you will not buy this house for 190. I think the most optimistic price would be nearer the 220 mark and I would not be surprised if it went for more than this. There's plenty of competition from other buyers and a lack of supply.

For example this house in Willsbrook asking 239 went sale agreed for 275
    http://www.myhome.ie/1797972

Of course you can always try, nothing to stop you starting low and increasing to your walk away price but in reality decent houses in the area are selling very close to asking. Best of luck!

Miharo wrote: »

I'm sorry Miharo-I just can;t believe that ANY house in Lucan went over asking and I really don;t believe that this house went for €275k-I'm friendly with an EA in Lucan and he's told me that nothing that he has on offer has gone more than asking in the last 3 years . . .

• Advertisement

Well all I can say to that is you're wrong. I was involved in the bidding process, got out long before it got near to the 275 though!

Well all I can say to that is you're wrong. I was involved in the bidding process, got out long before it got near to the 275 though!

Ok-no problem-was just my opinion.
    Can I just ask-what was so special about that house-I remember seeing it advertised and thinking that it was overpriced at €239k?

Thanks

Lynda

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Having recently bought a house in the Lucan area and bid on several, I can guarantee you that you will not buy this house for 190. I think the most optimistic price would be nearer the 220 mark and I would not be surprised if it went for more than this. There's plenty of competition from other buyers and a lack of supply.

Of course you can always try, nothing to stop you starting low and increasing to your walk away price but in reality decent houses in the area are selling very close to asking. Best of luck!

I know the house I viewed it near the time, I was told it got offers straight away, which is believable looking at the house. But whoever paid 275K for it must be a fool when you can buy houses in Blackrock/D14-16 in that price.

I couldn't believe it went for that much either. It was in good condition with a nice attic conversion but definitely not worth that much. The estate agent was even shocked. I think it's partly because houses don't come up in that particular estate very often and there is more competition for houses in St. Mary's parish.

I know of three other houses that I viewed in Fforster, Haydens Park and Moy Glas that achieved asking. They were all very good condition though so maybe there is more room for negotiation on houses that need a bit of work.

Advertisement