Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite Character (Season 1/2)

13»

Comments

Tyrion Lannister
    Sandor Clegane alone for his little outburst during Blackwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have read most of the books and only seen a few eps of the show but going by the comments in here Catelyn and Sansa get a really bad rep from the TV show, though Sansa is more of a pitiable character than anything I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Other (Please State)
    Currently half way through A Feast For Crows and
    I think Jaime has overtaken Littlefinger as my favourite character (excluding Tyrion of course). Varys was one of my favourite characters in the first two books but not so much anymore, likewise with Jon.

^Not really a spoiler but it does tell you that those characters are still alive

Overall on season one and two I'd say Littlefinger is my favourite character. Though individually, I'd say Ned (Season 1) and Tyrion (Season 2) with special mentions to Varys, Bronn and Jaqen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bronn
    For me Tywin and Arya's verbal jousting stole the series, I've always liked Charles Dance as an actor and he really shines in this series, hes a bastard, but a charismatic one. I lov how there's no clearcut good/bad character in this, save for a few like maybe Jon and Joffrey, everyone else is varying shades of grey and good characters do horrible things and vice versa.

Tyrion Lannister
    Joffrey is literally the biggest **** I've seen in any show or movie that's how well he plays the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Catelyn Stark
    Joffrey is literally the biggest **** I've seen in any show or movie that's how well he plays the part.

Yup Gleeson has him spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sos89

Bronn
    Voted for Tyrion, loved him in the books and the TV series. Ayra, Ned, Jon, Bronn and Gendry were all also very good. After watching the TV series I started reading the books and I am totally Hooked on them now :) Cant wait for season 3 to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Khal Drogo
    Voted for Tyrion, tried to vote for someone else to be different but come on, every scene he's in is great!

There is so many great characters, most are all played extremely well. The fact that you hate some of them only shows how good they truly are at playing there part!

Other contenders would have been Bronn, Arya and Jon. Had Jaquen been in it more he would be well up there aswell.

Love Jons awkwardness with the wildling girl up north, forget her name :o

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Robb Stark
    Yigrette.

You know nothing, iamanengine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Other (Please State)
    Yigrette.

You know nothing, iamanengine ;)

Ygritte... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Khal Drogo
    Funglegunk wrote: »
    Ygritte... :P

Schooled! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Khal Drogo
    Voted for Tyrion... surprise,

Bran and Catelyn are a pain in the books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Khal Drogo
    Tyrion, but the character whose scenes I couldnt wait to get to in the books was Theon Greyjoy - I absolutely love his portrayal so far.

I also love Bronn, the Hound, Brienne, Jamie and some of the smaller parts like the Syrio Forel and Jagen H'ghar have been very well portrayed.

Hate him, but Joffery has been a brilliant portrayal.

And Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister - amazing.

I have a massive crush on Jorah Mormont too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Jaqen H'ghar
    Its all about Stannis! "come with me and take this city" after his fleet has just been destroyed, first man off the boat, first man to land ashore, first man at the walls, first man up the ladder into the city.

He is a boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Robb Stark
    Arya, Tyrion, Daenerys and Bronn would be my favourites - I LOVE Robb but I can't help being disappointed at his poor life choices.

As far as characters I love to hate go - Joffrey and Tywin are at the top of that list. The level of hatred I have for them (particularly Joffrey) a testament to their brilliant acting.

Ned Stark is such an infuriating character though! The choices he makes are akin to Boromir going ''Ah lads, we may as well give the ring back to Sauron, it really is his after all!''. Uuuuuuuuugh.

Edit: Oh, and Osha too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Joffrey Baratheon
    I voted Theon Greyjoy, I really felt sorry for him no matter how horrible the things he did, I hope he gets a chance for redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Khal Drogo
    Well it has to be Tyrion! Great character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Khal Drogo
    it really is testament to alfie allen that people feel sorry for theon,
    seriously
    he betrayed his friend robb to his father
    he then disobeyed his father and destroyed their grand strategy for independence
    he sacked winter fell
    he sent the rest of his men on a suicide mission to most cailin
    he put his sister in danger and expected her to risk her men to bail him out
    he murdered master llewen
    he murdered two random boys
    in claiming those boys were bran and rickon he shattered the moralle of the northern army
    his ascosiation with the bastard bolton could result in the destruction of whatever order remained in the north

and that's only what he managed up to now in the series

pray he never takes the black or the seven kingdoms will be overrun with whitewalkers in a matter of days

allow me to make this/clear for you

THEON GREJOY IREDEEMABLE CNUT

he is bad, he is an arrogant selfish narrowminded shortsighted vain greedy sh1tbag.

and in a world populated by an abundance of characters who fit that description he really stands out from the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
    When I voted I chose Jorah Mormont. Would now change that to Tywin Lannister or Oberyn Martell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Catelyn Stark
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    seriously
    he betrayed his friend robb to his father
    he then disobeyed his father and destroyed their grand strategy for independence
    he sacked winter fell
    he sent the rest of his men on a suicide mission to most cailin
    he put his sister in danger and expected her to risk her men to bail him out
    he murdered master llewen
    he murdered two random boys
    in claiming those boys were bran and rickon he shattered the moralle of the northern army
    his ascosiation with the bastard bolton could result in the destruction of whatever order remained in the north

and that's only what he managed up to now in the series

pray he never takes the black or the seven kingdoms will be overrun with whitewalkers in a matter of days

allow me to make this/clear for you

THEON GREJOY IREDEEMABLE CNUT

he is bad, he is an arrogant selfish narrowminded shortsighted vain greedy sh1tbag.

and in a world populated by an abundance of characters who fit that description he really stands out from the crowd

I don't think Theon is as black and white as to be called "bad". The word that flies around with Theon the most is "Lost".

"God help you Theon Greyjoy, you are truely lost"

All Theon ever wants is respect and a sense of belonging. As a babe, he is ripped from his home and placed to serve Lord Stark. He is a privileged hostage/servant and constantly reminded he does not belong and mocked because of his houses actions.

Only after asking Robb confirms to him that he is his brother does he give his loyalty but it conflicts immediately when his father doesn't accept him and he must prove himself to him by betray Robb. A difficult decision for anyone, could anyone truly find picking between a friend and family to be an easy decision. Hence the long dark candle scene where Theon burns his letter to Robb. There he seals his future.

You are right, he does have a lot of poor traits, hes reckless, shortsighted vain, naive and quite stupid in his actions at Winterfell. He also has delusion of grandure.

He never sets out to harm anyone when capturing Winterfell. He is pushed into the execution of Rodriks by his own men, who's approval he craves. He is also betrayed when believing he had their trust in the end of the season

Calling his sister to Winterfell was half for assistance (which he was sure he'd get) and half (to prove he is worthy), he doesn't forsee the huge errors he has made yet. He does show remorse for the killing of the orphans also (though in the books
    that is mostly led by Reek
    )

No, he is not a "Good" character (who is?) but I think that it is this complexity that makes someone pick him as a favorite character. In a way the twisted world around him has taken Theon down this path and at every crossroads he takes a wrong turn.

I voted for Jaime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Khal Drogo
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »

I agree Alfie Allen is doing a great job. Theon Greyjoy is just an eejit who constantly seeks approval from others. He hasnt had an easy journey through life though and at every turn he is mocked. Its not his fault that he was handed over to the Starks as a child, and yet his father seems to blame him for it.

I look forward to Theons tv story going forward, he was one of my favourite storylines in the books.

Tyrion Lannister
    Reek reek it rhythms with sneak :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lord Varys
    i like Jorah Mormont. dunno why really but he seems kinda interesting and i think the actor that plays him is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lord Varys
    irish son wrote: »
    I voted Theon Greyjoy, I really felt sorry for him no matter how horrible the things he did, I hope he gets a chance for redemption.
    No way! He's just behind Joffery as the biggest kunt in the series imho!

Lord Varys
    Really quite amazing to have such a long list of great characters and more could be added. I went for.Bronn.. He takes everything in his stride.

• Advertisement
Advertisement