Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodent in rented accomodation

Options
  • 06-06-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently renting an apartment and have discovered rodent droppings on the ground.
    I was just wondering is it my, or the landlords responsibility to deal with this?

Its not a messy place, few crumbs here and there at most so I dont think it it was due to lack of care that it came in

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Connavar wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently renting an apartment and have discovered rodent droppings on the ground.
    I was just wondering is it my, or the landlords responsibility to deal with this?

Its not a messy place, few crumbs here and there at most so I dont think it it was due to lack of care that it came in

Thanks

If you want to live with rodents while you argue the case with your landlord then up to you.
    If it were me I would go straight to woodies and buy a trap and sort it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Caseywhale wrote: »
    If you want to live with rodents while you argue the case with your landlord then up to you.
    Believe me I was planning on going to woodies. Just had a friend say that he thinks I should get the landlord to deal with it and wanted to see if there was any good reason for it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Connavar wrote: »
    Believe me I was planning on going to woodies. Just had a friend say that he thinks I should get the landlord to deal with it and wanted to see if there was any good reason for it

Mice and rats get in; fact of life. I would not dream of asking the LL; in any case he would just put poison down and that endangers our critters.

Ask that friend if he would expect the ll to deal with flies, spiders etc.

Traps work as do cats and dogs. We have had a plague of mice this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Just buy some traps (they cost nothing) and set them around the place.
    That should take care of the problem.
    If you can't get rid of them after this then contact your landlord and explain the situation to him.

Just buy some traps (they cost nothing) and set them around the place.
    That should take care of the problem.
    If you can't get rid of them after this then contact your landlord and explain the situation to him.

Where are you getting free traps? On a pension where every cent counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Exactly.

Also, the gestation period for mice is about three weeks. So if you don't sort them out, you'll get more than you bargained for.

You'll need to speak to the landlord about sealing up the property after you get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Graces7 wrote: »
    Where are you getting free traps? On a pension where every cent counts.

Mousetraps are 15c each in my local hardware shop. I've bought a few this year. Never had mice before. Even the cats cant keep them out this year. They kill a couple every day but they keep coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Traps are set, just waiting for that crack now

Mousetraps are 15c each in my local hardware shop. I've bought a few this year. Never had mice before. Even the cats cant keep them out this year. They kill a couple every day but they keep coming.

We pay 50 cents here so they get reused... Where are you that they are that cheap!

This is a bad year for mice coming in; hearing this from all sides, Result of the cold May they say.

I found where they were coming in as the terrier showed me. The waste pipe at the back, so that has wire wool in it now. Seems to have worked fine. and again up to us not the LL surely. Have lived decades in rural areas so am used to all this.

Advertisement