Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to park overnight?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I'll be in Galway soon for a stag weekend. The Hotel has no parking facilities so need an alternative.

I'll need it for Friday night, all day Saturday and Saturday night.

I don't mind paying but obviously would be very grateful if anyone knows of free parking e.g. estates where it would be ok!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Where are you staying? You can pm me if you want and I will tell you where you can park for free. The car will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

There is parking in behind the staition it would be 12 euro (6 euro per 24 hours) I think, you can prepay and it gets locked up at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I'll be in Galway soon for a stag weekend. The Hotel has no parking facilities so need an alternative.

I'll need it for Friday night, all day Saturday and Saturday night.

I don't mind paying but obviously would be very grateful if anyone knows of free parking e.g. estates where it would be ok!

Ah hows a goin bud - Ya can leave it up in da Westside. We'll "mind" it for ya. Westside da best side!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Just don't park outside my house grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You can park outside my house if you want. The truth is that most of Galway is fine. It's not like Limerick. Even when you're supposed to pay, you will not get a ticket. The prom in Galway is a good spot. Free parking and no trouble. Park near Salthill Garda Station. You can't go wrong.

• Advertisement

I just have to ask, what kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

scholar007 wrote: »
    I just have to ask, what kind of car is it?

...and what is the Reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

xflyer wrote: »
    You can park outside my house if you want. The truth is that most of Galway is fine. It's not like Limerick. Even when you're supposed to pay, you will not get a ticket. The prom in Galway is a good spot. Free parking and no trouble. Park near Salthill Garda Station. You can't go wrong.

Its not like Limerick? Bit of a generalisation there dont you think? Plenty of parts of galway that i would never leave the car, mostly due to damage caused by drunken idiots. Best off throwing itin a pay car park for the weekend. I think Galway Harbour Company do a deal for parking a few days in a row, you wont be paying the hourly rate anyhow. Worth the peace of mind to have your car off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

:rolleyes: at previous responses.

OP, here's a map of Galway City parking buildings etc: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/car-parks-in-galway-city-map-below.html

That said, see what your hotel recommends.

There are places where you could safely park overnight , but the problem is finding them. Some areas have a lower proportion of such places than others (I'm looking at you, Mr Westside!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

RINO87 wrote: »
    Its not like Limerick? Bit of a generalisation there dont you think? .
    Well I didn't want to say Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Where are you staying? I can pm you a few places with free parking.. Not housing estates..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There is free parking in Cladagh, down beside the club house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Some areas have a lower proportion of such places than others (I'm looking at you, Mr Westside!)

Well congratulations on those West of the river in deterring clogged housing estate parking with all the dodgy press! lol!:D

Reminds me of this

OP there are a few good suggestions on here. There are plenty of spots in housing estates both east/west of the river. Nice ones both sides. There are often 'extra' spaces in an estate (down at the end of roads, near green belts etc) that are not in front of someone's house. It's nicer to choose one of these if you can. :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    There is free parking in Cladagh, down beside the club house.

Yeah the swans won't mind in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

scholar007 wrote: »
    Yeah the swans won't mind in the slightest.

That's not where he means!:p

inisboffin wrote: »
    That's not where he means!:p

Jaysus! - it must be some yoke entirely if he is this interested in looking to get it safely tucked up for the night - Most lads coming to Galway abandon it as near to the accommodation as possible - head for the nearest pub as soon as possible with the main priority of getting píssed and maybe meeting a "nice" young wan for a bit of hows yer father and not worrying about the wheels.

Is it a Bugatti Veyron by any chance or a Maybach?

Dyke road car park (near the main road opposite lidl where its not hidden away) or council car park beside the cathedral are the easiest and cheapest (aside from totally free parking). 4 euro for the day on saturday and free sunday. There is always a tiny element of risk parking in places like this but the chances of actually getting broken into are minute imo. I have parked in many of these carparks around the city over night and never had an issue.

I'm always more concerend about someone hitting into me than anything and this is just as likely in a locked under ground car park as anywhere.

Advertisement