Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following sports at home from Australia

Options
  • 06-06-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently moved to Melbourne, and I'm looking into the best way to keep in touch with sports back at home, Premier League, Heineken Cup, 6 Nations, Champions League, GAA etc.

I know that if I get Foxtel and add the setanta channel that that I will have all of those options on TV. Is there a cheaper (legal & legit) way of doing it? I'm particularly interested in online options, so that I stream over wifi to my laptop (preferred option).

I know you can get i-setanta and that will give me the Heineken Cup & GAA. But if I wanted to get Champions League, Premier League & 6 nations, what are the best options (with a preference for subscribing online)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Tbh I just stumped up for Foxtel &Setanta. Foxtel with sports can be got for $50 pm and Setanta around $15 extra but for that I get Super15/Pro12/English/French/HC/6 nations and tri nations rugby, GAA, NFL and all European soccer. Plus get to watch all AFL games ad-free and good coverage of Olympics coming up.

Given the amount of money I used to spend going into city to watch Leinster & Ireland matches its pittance!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Tbh I just stumped up for Foxtel &Setanta. Foxtel with sports can be got for $50 pm and Setanta around $15 extra but for that I get Super15/Pro12/English/French/HC/6 nations and tri nations rugby, GAA, NFL and all European soccer. Plus get to watch all AFL games ad-free and good coverage of Olympics coming up.

Given the amount of money I used to spend going into city to watch Leinster & Ireland matches its pittance!

+1
    And if you can't stay up/have an early work start, you can record on the Foxtel iQ

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another +1 for just paying the $65 a month and getting the channels in. For a lot of things, the Premier League in particular, you've to opportunity to see much more games live than at home.

It's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

jackbhoy wrote: »

Think Setanta is just $9 a month.

Foxtel is good, plus you can get the sports package with the basic. You dont have to sign up for other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sundy wrote: »
    Think Setanta is just $9 a month.

Foxtel is good, plus you can get the sports package with the basic. You dont have to sign up for other stuff.

$9.99 for the first three months of a 12 month contract, after that it's $15.99.

If you only want it for the Euros, it's $51 for the minumum two months they allow ($16.99 per month plus $16.99 connection fee).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

That's really interesting - didn't realise I could get foxtel at that price, and that you could just build your own package with just sport (which is all I'd want). That's pretty good value for 50-65pm depending on setanta.

My only concern is that my housemates aren't into sport (didn't know them before moved in), and that I'd be hogging the TV at certain points or that they may want to watch something at the time a key game is on. If I sign up with Foxtel - do they also show it online at the same time - so if I can't get at the TV - that I can just watch on the laptop and not miss anything? I know setanta have i-setanta, is there any similar for Foxtel? I know you can record stuff - so that's good to know - but like watching things live!

Thanks again for help

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Foxtel is just like sky except a few years behind, in my opinion. I have looked and couldn't find anything like skygo. which was excellent.. sports on my iphone. I dont think they have any other online viewing services either.

I doubt it will be a problem tho, the sports you mention are often on late at night/early morning australia time. if theyre not into sports i dont know what else they would be watching.

I dont know how foxtel operate exactly but i hear on the radio in perth that they are offering new tv packages without any lock in contracts.

Advertisement