Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comfortable fashionable sandals

• 06-06-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am getting to the age where I actually listen to my mother's advice to spend a bit more on sensible shoes that will last a few years! The thing is I would like something that actually is stylish as well.

I am searching in particular for a nice sandal, with Birkenstock comfort but not Birkenstock looks. I would like something stylish that would look nice with skirts etc. I have tried Clarks and Ecco but they are not nice either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I basically asking for too much? All your help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Hush Puppy or maybe Radley.

From personal experience I'd say go for leather and a bit more expensive stuff. I don't mean very expensive but over 100 euro range and try some independent shops that sell Italian stuff. There can be huge difference in quality and comfort regardless of height, brand or type of shoe. Sales will be on soon enough anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Clarks have some lovely sandals imo

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20339313

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20350515

Have you tried Nine West? Aldo? Pied a Terre? Don't know much about the comfort factor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Got a lovely pair in TK Maxx recently, brown, appliqué flowers, support on the sole, slight heal, not wedge, made by Dunlop of all people, lovely with skirts or dresses, think they were €30 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mariadiamond

I feel your pain, I am on an eternal quest for a sexy sandle which I can actually walk in, have resigned myself to the birkenstocks again so far this year but will never give up my search. A Brazilian friend who does alot of samba/salsa dancing advised the 'bend test' for comfort, basically if the sole of the sandle bends it should be comfy, if the sole is rigid don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Structurally Sound Mentally Unstable

fillefatale, that second pair aren't too bad! I think they need to be broken in a bit to make the leather look a bit better though (like a nice leather bag!). They are the closest thing to a nice pair of comfortable sandals yet!

analucija, I am willing to pay for a good pair. Like you said, leather would be best. I will check out those sites thanks.

I must have a look around town (Cork City for me) and pop into TKmaxx as suggested. Half of the problem is that I need to try the shoes on.

I would like to get them soon so I can break them in before I head off on my adventures!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

http://ie2.schuh.co.uk/womens-black-schuh-king-tube-slingback/1728097020/

These get good reviews. I have seen them in Schuh in Dublin but in the brown colour only so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got a pair last year by a brand called BioStep in Pavers out in Blanchardstown. They were pretty stylish but very comfortable as well! Served me well in NY for three months where I did a lot of walking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Have you tried Rockport? I got 2 super comfortable pairs of sandals there last year and bought another pair last week. They are in Clerys and they have a shop in South William Street. I've bought them off Amazon as well and they've worked out a good bit cheaper at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

a nice sandal, with Birkenstock comfort but not Birkenstock looks. I would like something stylish that would look nice with skirts etc.

Have you looked into Teva sandals? I love mine. They're comfy like Birkenstock and they've a few stylish Mary Janes and Wedges in their Ventura line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whatever you buy, try to get something with support in the sole, and a tiny bit of height in the heel. Any sandal with a sole that is absolutely flat will not be long term comfortable. I personally would never wear any of those Grecian/Roman style sandals as the soles are too flat.

I noticed recently that Fitflops have expanded their range and it looks a lot better than it did before. These, for instance, aren't that bad. I have two pairs of their flip flops and they are very comfortable.

ollo_flame_large_2.jpg

Hush Puppy have always been comfortable shoes, if a little dull, but they are looking better now - here is a selection from Schuh

Rockport are also another good brand for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

I know you said you looked in Ecco but I had looked several times there before I decided to try these on and they're actually really nice with skirts. I got them in tan. Have walked for miles in them and they're very comfortable.

http://www.eccoshoeshop.co.uk/ladies-ecco-sandals-ladies-formal-casual-sandals-c-12_78_79/ecco-groove-sandals-p-369

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you tried Rieker? I got a pair in Grahams on Wicklow St a couple of weeks ago and they are super comfy.

http://www.shoesinternational.co.uk/Ladies/rieker-shoes/rieker-ladies-shoes-and-sandals-2012/r/28/656/2/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Structurally Sound Mentally Unstable

Hello All!

Thanks for all your help :) I can happily report that I have purchased a pair of sandals. I got these guys:

cla-orsino-p-light-tan-l-d-030.jpg

I think this is a classic case of shoes looking nicer in person! They are super comfy, and semi-stylish. Would you believe that they are sold out all over Ireland and also are not in the Clark's warehouse anymore? I guess they must be popular. They are €60 in the shop but I managed to find them for €40 here:

http://www.shoeheaven.ie/store/product/200197/Clarks-%27Orsino-Parade%27-Leather-Sandal-%28Tan%29/

Hopefully I will get them soon. I will let you know how they go! (Looking at the picture there now, I would never have bought them online as they look kind of gicky in the photo)

Also fillefatale, I tried on the sandals you recommended. While they are much prettier in person and a very nice sandal, I wouldn't really class them as a walking sandal as they are very flat and slippy. Perfect for pairing with a skirt though!

I will keep ye up so date with the sandals when they arrive.

Advertisement