Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord gais complaint!

Options
  • 06-06-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tinkerbell1608

I've recently just moved into a rented apartment. When I moved in I rang around to see about connecting up my name to the gas and electricity the best option was to go with Bord gais on it as I was informed I'd get a discount if I had both and I could get the option of getting bills sent out to me and pay them in the post office. As I'm not in a position to pay direct debit. Anyway I was quoted on the phone that I'd have to pay a €300 deposit which was fine. Until I got a bill this morning with another €300 deposit needed. I rang up and was basically told that I had to pay for each (the gas and electricity) bill so €600 security deposit which I was never told about! I was only ever told €300 even though they knew I was doing both gas and electricity! Has anyone else been miss told information like this? I'm fuming about this, I feel I shouldn't have to pay this as I wasn't told it'd be a charge for each rather than just €300 for the 2 which I was led to believe!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

These are the terms you agreed to to sign up to the service, http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/terms-and-conditions-supply/

They are separate services and as such have separate T&C's, each covers that a security deposit may be asked for. From my own experience this really only happens if you choose not to pay via direct debit.

You could always cancel with BG and go with another supplier but if your opting for not using direct debit you'll likely end up in the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tinkerbell1608

I understand that but I'm a first time customer as I stated to them and wanted both. My understanding of what the rep on the phone was saying was that I'd get it all together no one ever told me it'd be separate bills or even that gas and electricity was going to cost a total of 600€ security deposit. Not a good start!

I've a small baby, and I could just about get the 300€. Well at least they agreed to let me pay it off weekly cos they wanted it by next week.

I really do think people should be made aware of this when they're a new customer. Not everyone is gonna have the time to read through a companies terms and conditions before they go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

You could always set up a direct debit with them but just pay the bill yourself in the Post office before they can withdraw the money from your bank.

You could always set up a direct debit with them but just pay the bill yourself in the Post office before they can withdraw the money from your bank.

if you read the other threads on this forum, that leads to a world of trouble and double payments

Advertisement