Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebs= embarrassing

• 06-06-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Lately, I've noticed a growing trend with Irish celebs on tv shows particularly in Britain. They are a pure embarrassment. That Danny o Donaghue on the voice was atrocious. There he was sitting next to the legend that is Sir Tom Jones and he going on like he knew as much or had as much experience. Also on celebrity juice, st.paddys day gone by, they had Kian Egan and Amanda Byram, who came across as pure tits, really big headed, far from a lad that grw up in the arse hole of Sligo. These are just two examples. Are these people really the best exports we have? Because they are making a holy show of the country. What ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

watching Danny on the voice was just cringing , the whole fist pumping he was doing when acts where performing, what was that all about ? made me just want to give him a slap. He's a nob.

Kian Egan is big headed, another nob.

While Jedward are funny and all that, they are clowns. Irish clowns at that. A lot of people actually hate them. While all us Irish assume they are loved.
    Was it really necessary to put the on the Eurovision 2 years in a row :rolleyes:

Ireland really has nothing going for it entertainment wise. The voice Ireland - shocking and cheap, no talent.
    Fair city - fairly sh*tty. It's more like a comedy show, never seen acting so bad in my life.

We do have a few successful people though, U2 are one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

When you bring Fair City into an argument about Irish talent you're being unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

Ya you are dead right. The Irish tele is just cat. Do ya know another thing that is embarrassingly bad? 'As Seen On Tv' on tv3. The biggest pile of sh1te i ever had the misfortune of watching. Glad someone else noticed I was expecting to get the head taken off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

When you bring Fair City into an argument about Irish talent you're being unfair.

How so? Some of them in fairness are just useless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

What I've often noticed is that Irish 'celebs' on UK TV tend to really exaggerate their Irish accent when they speak.

One pleb who comes to mind who I notice doing that is the TV presenter Laura Whitmore.

"Oh, look at me and my really cute Oirish accent!" >grins ear to ear< >grins ear to ear< >grins ear to ear< followed by fake giggling. :mad: :rolleyes:

I know the following man gets a lot of flack now - and he probably does deserve some of it for the rampant cheating on his missus at least - but I think Ronan Keating tends to just speak normally and come across as natural whenever he's on English TV (not very often nowadays though). And whatever people say about his music, the man does have some bit of talent. I'm not a fan of his music at all, but I think he's alright nevertheless.

I think the likes of Andrea Corr, Daniel Day Lewis, Bronagh Gallagher (okay, so she's from Northern Ireland..) gallagherbronagh_410x410_634275956859331250.jpg, Gabriel Byrne, Cillian Murphy and (especially) Liam Neeson have always represented our country very well and have done us proud.

I've heard (from friends of mine who have met him - they're small-time actors) that Jonathan Rhys Meyers isn't very nice, but I have to say that the guy has talent. It's a pity his drinking problem has dragged him down.

The Edge in U2 always comes across really well but, then, he seems like a very nice bloke anyway.

Also, love her or hate her, Sinead O'Connor has really helped put Ireland on the map and she definitely isn't false/phony.

When I think about it, Ireland doesn't really have many 'celebrity exports' - especially those from the younger generation, i.e. age 20-30.

Agreed - Danny from The Script is a complete embarrassment to this country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This ****in eejit was in the paper as recently as yesterday

orlaith.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What I've often noticed is that Irish 'celebs' on UK TV tend to really exaggerate their Irish accent.......... gallagherbronagh_410x410_634275956859331250.jpg

Why the fluck have you a random picture of an alien in your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

There's a surprising amount of bitterness here...

Yes, Irish people who appear on reality tv shows to make a tit out of themselves are embarrassing, but they're not unusual - for every one Irish Georgia Salpa there are 10 British Towie cast members or 5 Kardashian-Hiltons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Degsy wrote: »

orlaith.jpg

Who is she? Obviously not up to date on the celeb scene.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Who is she? Obviously not up to date on the celeb scene.

Big Brother 2006 contestant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

xzanti wrote: »
    Big Brother 2006 contestant.

Orlaith Mcallister.

I couldn't remember it until you said what she was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Talafornia makes Irish celeberties cool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Its a sham. Its all about who you know. Our PR is the same!

It just makes me sick that talentless gob****es [KIAN EGAN, KIAN EGAN, AND KIAN EGAN] are so arrogant, obnoxious and annoying, when you have genuinely talented people who are completely down to Earth

I cannot stand Jedward either. I think they have genuine mental health issues, and they've been downright bxstards to some people on chat shows in the past year

There's far too big a 'do you know who I think I am' vibe in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

How so? Some of them in fairness are just useless!
    Its not fair to include them in irish talent, however if it was lack of talent they are top of the list

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

orlaith.jpg
    Is that yer one from nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Lately, I've noticed a growing trend with Irish celebs on tv shows particularly in Britain. They are a pure embarrassment. That Danny o Donaghue on the voice was atrocious. There he was sitting next to the legend that is Sir Tom Jones and he going on like he knew as much or had as much experience. Also on celebrity juice, st.paddys day gone by, they had Kian Egan and Amanda Byram, who came across as pure tits, really big headed, far from a lad that grw up in the arse hole of Sligo. These are just two examples. Are these people really the best exports we have? Because they are making a holy show of the country. What ye think?

Just curious, what age are you?

I don't mean that to sound any way other then the question itself..

Reason i ask, is because i have noticed that for a long time now, and i thought i was just a cynical d1ck.

So.. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and decided i was being too harsh...
    I couldn't build that bridge... The gap between me, and wannabe, or "are" celebrities, is too great.

Apart from maybe one or two, i dislike nearly every "celebrity" Irish or not.

So, to answer your question-ish.. I did think like that, but now think it's just ALL "New age" celebrities, not just the Irish ones, maybe we just notice our own, that little bit more.

Before someone says it. NO, IT'S NOT BEGRUDGERY, I just think most of them are %&$(£)"holes

Maybe our parents thought the same of people that tried to be more then they are, back in their day?

That's all "Calebrities" are.. Nobody's with a passion for trying to make people love them, for nothing. Doing nothing, being nothing, and maybe having a slight talent at singing (Acting doesn't require talent anymore, just looks)

I'm slightly drunk after the Match tonight, but i believe i will stand by this... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I know the following man gets a lot of flack now - and he probably does deserve some of it for the rampant cheating on his missus at least - but I think Ronan Keating tends to just speak normally and come across as natural whenever he's on English TV (not very often nowadays though). And whatever people say about his music, the man does have some bit of talent. I'm not a fan of his music at all, but I think he's alright nevertheless.

Agreed! Music is pure cheese, but hes a genuinely sound bloke

and hes doin a lot to help unsigned Irish acts get off the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

gubbie wrote: »
    There's a surprising amount of bitterness here...

Yes, Irish people who appear on reality tv shows to make a tit out of themselves are embarrassing, but they're not unusual - for every one Irish Georgia Salpa there are 10 British Towie cast members or 5 Kardashian-Hiltons.

True but I think Ireland has more then their fair share of bigheaded twats. As someone else mentioned, the bigger a celeb you are, eg. Liam Neeson, seem to be more humble and down to earth they seem to be.

It's the ones like Kian Egan, who was basically a back up singer in a mediocre band reckoning he's the next Elvis Presley! Sorry to mention him again, he's getting an awful doing here! The sane goes for that Danny lad from the uk voice, virtually unknow before it, turned music mogul over night!

They do no favours for themselves or the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

newmug wrote: »
    Why the fluck have you a random picture of an alien in your post?

Listen, that 'alien' (who I thought few people would know by her name alone - hence the accompanying, and yes, bit random, photo) has done pretty well for herself in the acting field, so she can thank her talent for that (as opposed to her, erm, 'unconventional' looks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Graham Norton, Daragh O'Brian & Terry Wogan have done well for themselves over in the UK and not shamed us. I think maybe its the newer celebs who are the problem.

• Advertisement

Larkenn wrote: »
    Graham Norton, Daragh O'Brian & Terry Wogan have done well for themselves over in the UK and not shamed us. I think maybe its the newer celebs who are the problem.

Ya true, but I think these people have a genuine talent. It's more the people who reckon they're something special but aren't you know?

I don't know about anyone else but it's the people like Derek Mooney, Mark Cagney, Brian Ormond, Kian Egan, Jedward, Louis Walsh and I could go on and on.

IMO these people are embarrassing bad. I know were a small nation but surely we've better than Brian Ormond! We are lucky with some actors and the people you've mention but all leave and we're stuck with the flutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    watching Danny on the voice was just cringing , the whole fist pumping he was doing when acts where performing, what was that all about ? made me just want to give him a slap. He's a nob.

Kian Egan is big headed, another nob.

While Jedward are funny and all that, they are clowns. Irish clowns at that. A lot of people actually hate them. While all us Irish assume they are loved.
    Was it really necessary to put the on the Eurovision 2 years in a row :rolleyes:

Ireland really has nothing going for it entertainment wise. The voice Ireland - shocking and cheap, no talent.
    Fair city - fairly sh*tty. It's more like a comedy show, never seen acting so bad in my life.

We do have a few successful people though, U2 are one example.

Not all Irish assume jeward are loved :rolleyes:

U2 are successful but that wasn't the question ;) Bono is the biggest embarrassment ever to come out of Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

What I've often noticed is that Irish 'celebs' on UK TV tend to really exaggerate their Irish accent when they speak.

One pleb who comes to mind who I notice doing that is the TV presenter Laura Whitmore.

Chris O'Dowd, CHRIS O'DOWD!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Dont forget Brendan O Carroll, Jesus what is wrong with the english people?

I dont think I have ever seen anything less funny or embarrassing and yet they love it.

Dont forget Brendan O Carroll, Jesus what is wrong with the english people?

I dont think I have ever seen anything less funny or embarrassing and yet they love it.

I really don't find that man funny. He's been round for years, was always Sh1te then he dresses in drag and he's funnier then Tommy Tiernan in the early days? Not a hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Rasheed wrote: »
    I really don't find that man funny. He's been round for years, was always Sh1te then he dresses in drag and he's funnier then Tommy Tiernan in the early days? Not a hope!

Agreed, walking barefoot on an upturned plug is funnier

Agreed, walking barefoot on an upturned plug is funnier

:D Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 faris kreshan

orlaith.jpg
    the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Rasheed wrote: »
    Thank fcuk; I thought I was the only one who finds O'Carroll painfully unfunny, even embarrassingly so. And the British love Mrs Brown's boy (think it got a prime time saturday night slot on the Beeb, didn't it?). God help them. Oh yeah; Tiernan isn't funny either.

However;

orlaith.jpg

Let's not be too hasty!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Directioner

yea alot of the celebrities are mad embarassing like i always cringe when jedwards on. But then we have U2 and bonos pretty good and Niall Horans deadly aswell comes across real good with fans and in interviews :) then a few of our tv host presenters arent too bad but yea generally were a pretty embarrasing nation :L

Advertisement