Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebs= embarrassing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

saoirse-ronan-2010.jpg

All is not lost. I think Saoirse Ronan has done us proud.

220px-David_O%27Doherty.jpg

Same for David O'Doherty (funny fücker, so he is).

and Ciaran Hinds (who doesn't get near-enough recognition, IMO):

rome-serie-tv-2005-75-g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Directioner

niall horan is one to be proud of :) and some of our presenters arent bad either but generally were pretty embarrasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

All the trouble RTE got into over the Prime Time Investigates fiasco, yet they continue to give Craig (smug backstard) Doyle an income and no one says a word?????? Boggles the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

yea alot of the celebrities are mad embarassing like i always cringe when jedwards on. But then we have U2 and bonos pretty good and Niall Horans deadly aswell comes across real good with fans and in interviews :) then a few of our tv host presenters arent too bad but yea generally were a pretty embarrasing nation :L

But he called a gang on them cnuts at Dublin airport?? If thats good with fans, Id hate to see him bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wilddarts wrote: »
    All the trouble RTE got into over the Prime Time Investigates fiasco, yet they continue to give Craig (smug backstard) Doyle an income and no one says a word?????? Boggles the mind.

as much as I'v no time for Craig Doyle, I really can't compare it to falsely accusing a person of raping a woman and impregnating her

to be fair, I don't know anyone who likes Craig Doyle other than the RTE Executives and, well, Craig Doyle..

(I feel disgusted with myself, have used his name 3 times in one post:()

EDIT:
    here are some Irish "celebs" we can feel proud enough off:
    brendan-gleeson.jpg
    600full-dylan-moran.jpg
    pg-20-Graham-Linehan_90183t.jpg
    (ok, so Graham may not be a celeb in the traditional sense but he is still a f**king ledge)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

wprathead wrote: »
    as much as I'v no time for Craig Doyle, I really can't compare it to falsely accusing a person of raping a woman and impregnating her

to be fair, I don't know anyone who likes Craig Doyle other than the RTE Executives and, well, Craig Doyle..

(I feel disgusted with myself, have used his name 3 times in one post:()
    Agreed. The man seems to be on everything, even if I'm watching a youtube video, the fcuker pops up at the start. Who is he riding in RTE? He'll be reading out the news next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 spud_gunner

What I've often noticed is that Irish 'celebs' on UK TV tend to really exaggerate their Irish accent when they speak.

One pleb who comes to mind who I notice doing that is the TV presenter Laura Whitmore.

"Oh, look at me and my really cute Oirish accent!" >grins ear to ear< >grins ear to ear< >grins ear to ear< followed by fake giggling. :mad: :rolleyes:

I know the following man gets a lot of flack now - and he probably does deserve some of it for the rampant cheating on his missus at least - but I think Ronan Keating tends to just speak normally and come across as natural whenever he's on English TV (not very often nowadays though). And whatever people say about his music, the man does have some bit of talent. I'm not a fan of his music at all, but I think he's alright nevertheless.

I think the likes of Andrea Corr, Daniel Day Lewis, Bronagh Gallagher (okay, so she's from Northern Ireland..) gallagherbronagh_410x410_634275956859331250.jpg, Gabriel Byrne, Cillian Murphy and (especially) Liam Neeson have always represented our country very well and have done us proud.

I've heard (from friends of mine who have met him - they're small-time actors) that Jonathan Rhys Meyers isn't very nice, but I have to say that the guy has talent. It's a pity his drinking problem has dragged him down.

The Edge in U2 always comes across really well but, then, he seems like a very nice bloke anyway.

Also, love her or hate her, Sinead O'Connor has really helped put Ireland on the map and she definitely isn't false/phony.

When I think about it, Ireland doesn't really have many 'celebrity exports' - especially those from the younger generation, i.e. age 20-30.

Agreed - Danny from The Script is a complete embarrassment to this country.

sinead o connor comes across as someone who has about three mental breakdowns per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

sinead o connor comes across as someone who has about three mental breakdowns per week

I don't think so. The 'worst' thing I'd say about her is that she comes across as eccentric.

But so what if someone does have mental breakdowns anyway? Does that make you superior to them? You never know for sure what's going on in people's lives and how they're trying to cope with it as best as they can. Also, someone who's having a breakdown doesn't directly and negatively affect your life. If you don't want to see Sinead O'Connor on TV or whatever, you're free to change the channel or switch off the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Perhaps i'm wrong, but for some reason or other coverage of O'Connor's personal life seemed to increase in the run up to the release of her most recent album...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

There was nothing cringier than those Meteor Awards when they used to be televised and watching Irish 'celebrities' embarrassing the nation in front of the actual famous International celebrities (well the ones Rte or whoever organised it) who attended. Same with those IFTA awards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

saoirse-ronan-2010.jpg

All is not lost. I think Saoirse Ronan has done us proud.

220px-David_O%27Doherty.jpg

Same for David O'Doherty (funny fücker, so he is).

and Ciaran Hinds (who doesn't get near-enough recognition, IMO):

rome-serie-tv-2005-75-g.jpg

Totally agree and Ciaran Hinds is a superb actor.
    Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Brenda Fricker, Michael Fassbender, David Kelly (RIP), Miriam O'Callaghan, Pierce Brosnan, Patrick Bergin, Cyril Cusack, his daughter Niamh,Dervla Kirwin, Maria Doyle Kennedy,Stuart Townsend, Mick Flannery, Lisa Hannigan, Glen Hansard,............
    and thats only naming a few people who have been very successful.
    Z list celebs wherever they are from are a waste of space.
    Lets support some of our high achievers eh and stop being down on anyone who may strive for a little more than average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Z list celebs wherever they are from are a waste of space.
    Quoted for truth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Drizzella

When you bring Fair City into an argument about Irish talent you're being unfair.
    hahaha we have an equivalent in Scotland with River City... almost identical wee area with much the same cafe and scenery.. wonder if its the same companies who do these shows..must admit though you have two crackers in Jonathan and Henry from the Tudors...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 quasimoron

Jeez how miserable can you lot get. Ireland the land of begrudgery and that's the truth. I heard of Danny from the script, great singer, great band.
    I feel the problem is our collective inferiority complex and quick criticism of our own people before the dreaded Brits do so.
    As for Jedward they are harmless and while I have seen them being degraded and bullied on chat shows I have not seen the opposite. If we felt better about ourselves as a nation, we would feel less need to invalidate and put down other Irish people in the media.
    Build a bridge,get over it, and improve your own life.These people are a lot more successful than those who slag them off, so who is the fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

newmug wrote: »
    Why the fluck have you a random picture of an alien in your post?

Was that a reference to Jim Corr?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Saoirse to turned into a fine lookin ting!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Drizzella

actually the Scottish do the same type of things by putting ourselves down, and belittling folk who get on, its quite sad really...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 eisseb

You would be proud of someone who looks for 2k to visit a sick child in hospital ? ie. Mr Horan

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

eisseb wrote: »
    You would be proud of someone who looks for 2k to visit a sick child in hospital ? ie. Mr Horan

Where are you getting that from??

Advertisement