Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in a rural rut.

Options
  • 06-06-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had an old work mate over last night we were both made redundant from our jobs in a sawmill last christmas with no sign of any work we had a debate on creating our own employment we are both like minded and open to new things but we could not come up with one single idea,i guess living in a small town in Offaly we just have except there is little opportunity out there. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on rural enterprise is or is it just large towns and cities where opportunities are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You can create a business anywhere. It's the location of your market - the people who are going to buy your product or service - you need to be concerned with.

Do either of you have a passion for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

Location can be anywhere ..think of eworking ..an app developer can write apps from anywhere in the world. You have to think of what you can do /make that others will pay for! The store can be virtual but what can you offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Don't get down mate - at least you and your workmate are thinking. It's a start and if you keep at it you never know where it could lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

You can create a business anywhere. It's the location of your market - the people who are going to buy your product or service - you need to be concerned with.

Do either of you have a passion for anything?

+1 find something you love doing. There are opportunities everywhere.
    The problem is seeing it and then knowing what to do.

Keep ideas flowing and you will hit one sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mentor1

Firstly !! you are savy enough to come on to such a helpful forum, most of the '' lads '' ( male/female ) on here are so helpful.
    So here goes : woodcarving, fencing, wood pellets, wood steaks, small wood mill business yourselves, log cabin franchise ( houses, sheds, outhouses etc , extra rooms etc etc )...... a fire log product ( non sparking wood ) hollowed out logs filled with coal slack ( open fire ), wood mulch for gardening,

List your skills : look at the way Holland exports so much stuff for such a small country ....'' study their export products ''. Can you get into organic growing of produce on leased farm land ??

A garden centre ....shrubs, saplings, Barna sheds, ........... vehicle power washing....... Truck stop food unit ( if suitable location )..........some sort of Service Business ie : machines, delivery,
    Lads !!! ...two heads better than one etc etc.........keep the passion for getting out on your own .....be ambitious with your plans but get genuine businessplanning help if you need it from someone who cares about the two of you........................not the bullS~~~~ you get from Enterprise Boards who tick boxes......you'll waste so much time . There's just to many opportunities out there at the moment ...............GRAB one of them and do it well ................you'll do great !! both of you !!! best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Thanks for all the posotive feed back guys.
    As i look at my own talents,after my leaving cert i did an apprenticeship as woodmachinist and now at 30 thats all ive worked at,its hard to walk away from what you know best but with the timber industry nearly none exsistent at this stage i often lie awake at night thinking if i could just think of a niche sector to get into. As regards my hobbies i have a passion for horse racing(not betting) just a love for the sport itself and i often thought there is no merchandise available for horse racing fans but its tough to come up with any ideas of what i could create or sell.When i look at my own town its on the shannon and with lots of tourists coming of the boats(not as many as there use to be) i often thought what could i sell them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Hi Bizzyb

This lad was ina similar situation to yourself, economy was making business slow

http://www.gameball.ie/

Sells mainly online, obviously the market abroad for these is much better.

Might give you an idea, maybe you could do something similar?

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Hi Bizzyb

This lad was ina similar situation to yourself, economy was making business slow

http://www.gameball.ie/

Sells mainly online, obviously the market abroad for these is much better.

Might give you an idea, maybe you could do something similar?

Ye i think i seen this guy on Nationwide before a great idea,guess you just have to think outside the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Well any other ideas come into your head,Same situation as yourself,Ina rural area...Im thinking of a few ideas..Chip wagon maybe or selling 2nd hand tyres

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Well any other ideas come into your head,Same situation as yourself,Ina rural area...Im thinking of a few ideas..Chip wagon maybe or selling 2nd hand tyres
    Ye im looking into some water based tourism ideas i think the river is really under used here when it comes to tourism but i still haven't come up with a killer idea yet! Plus i feel the pubs and hospitality business' would benefit from a tourism business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement