Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Engineering 2012 - Before / After thread

• 06-06-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am so screwed for engineering tomorrow... Does anyone have any short notes or know any site with short notes that I could read and possibly get to pass the exam tomorrow... Doing Higher Level, just hoping to pass or maybe try and get a C anyways...

All help appreciated..

Thanks,
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

Whats everyone covering tonight for engineering? i no english is much more important but it has to be done

hmf300 wrote: »
    Whats everyone covering tonight for engineering? i no english is much more important but it has to be done

Must have a good look over the laser, sorted for short questions and questions 2,6 and 8. Undecided whether I'll do question 5 or 7 yet, I'll do both if I have time

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    Must have a good look over the laser, sorted for short questions and questions 2,6 and 8. Undecided whether I'll do question 5 or 7 yet, I'll do both if I have time

what are you using for theory? the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Ill be doing question 2, 4, 5 and 6 these are the easiest in my opinion! I took notes from past paper answers on examinations.ie its cery repetitive!

• Advertisement

hmf300 wrote: »
    what are you using for theory? the book?

Yeah the book, goban engineering website and our teacher put his notes on our USB

Ill be doing question 2, 4, 5 and 6 these are the easiest in my opinion! I took notes from past paper answers on examinations.ie its cery repetitive!

Not a fan of question 4 at all I rather 7 and 8.

Not a fan of question 4 at all I rather 7 and 8.
    Actually que 4 is the easiest question on the paper very little on it got 50/50 in the mocks! But sure attempt all!

Actually que 4 is the easiest question on the paper very little on it got 50/50 in the mocks! But sure attempt all!

How are you set for the laser question? And what are you hoping for in Engineering? If I get anything higher than 60% in the written test I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Do the answers to all questions need to be fairly identical to the marking scheme to score full marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Do you get log tables?

I must say I'd be disappointed with anything less than 75%

Engineering is by far the easiest test you will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Do the answers to all questions need to be fairly identical to the marking scheme to score full marks?
    Not really, no. As long as it's correct and relevant to the question you'll get full marks.

Do you get log tables?

I must say I'd be disappointed with anything less than 75%

Engineering is by far the easiest test you will do

Yeah ask for them

Not really, no. As long as it's correct and relevant to the question you'll get full marks.

Thanks for that. Im really worried that I'll go down from what I got in the mocks (B1)

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Im really worried that I'll go down from what I got in the mocks (B1)

I got 62 in the mock but didnt do the laser question. Have you a good project?

These are the marks I hope to get tomorrow
    Q1 A-45 marks B-25 marks
    Q2- 40
    Q6- 35
    Q7- 35
    Q8- 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Given up on this, it's such a boring subject for me and although I nearly completed both projects (didn't get day practical together) It will be a miracle if I pass... Why oh why did I choose this subject :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Damianlegend

Given up on this, it's such a boring subject for me and although I nearly completed both projects (didn't get day practical together) It will be a miracle if I pass... Why oh why did I choose this subject :(

y man im fu***d is well..not gonna bother finishing off my portfolio..and im screwed for the theory..i mite just pass it tho..

what should i look over before the test lads? plastics,metal and lazer? where would i get answers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

y man im fu***d is well..not gonna bother finishing off my portfolio..and im screwed for the theory..i mite just pass it tho..

I done a crap portfolio, my lunar roving vehicle is going to come apart... (when I last checked it some screws may have been changed as they where not screwed with nuts... Either someone removed my screws or I never put them in).. My LRV is running though the wheels fall off though its a horrible mess...

Maybe I will pass but holy crap like some of the sh1t they ask you in the exam is irrelative imo.. I never used any laser machines in all my 6 years so why do I need to know about them? The whole course is a complete balls... If only my school had Technology instead...

EDIT: All I actually know for tomorrow is Lasers and Brinell and Vickers... Maybe be fit to label some diagrams or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mockgenius

Wasn't the worst of tests but was definitely harder than most years

was tough enough but i got alot of the answers answered. finished after an hour.. anyone else finish very early?higher level of course

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I thought it was fairly handy.
    Lasers were probably my worst question

I thought it was fairly handy.
    Lasers were probably my worst question
    Everything went gr8 accept lasers hard enuf question!!

Didn't like it all. No stress/strain or load/extension graph and no circuit at the end of Q8

Didn't like it all. No stress/strain or load/extension graph and no circuit at the end of Q8
    Question 2 part b was weird this year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Did they finally go for some novel questions this year in Engineering? I was afraid of that happening last year but aside from a few "new" questions the questions were by and large recycled from past years.

Edit: Just had a look at the paper. A small amount of the questions *looked* a bit different but aside from that I can't see much out of the ordinary.

For some funny reason I had a feeling that it was going to be one of those graphs for question 2 and I never looked over it :( The laser question was a disaster too :(
    My grade will definitely be worse than in the mock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭CWF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Lasers was very nasty. We were lured into a false sense of security by our mock papers. Got 50/50 in the mock and I'll be happy with 40/50 today. The step up was like Foundation to Higher :pac:

Some unusual questions this year, if I'm honest. Quite a few never-before-seen ones.

With my admittedly awful practical half of the exam, I needed 95+ in that exam today to maintain my average required grade. Still relatively confident of an A on the theory side of things.

Does anyone know when a (even unofficial) marking scheme will come out for this? So I put a decent number on what I got?

Also, apparently Q5 was very, very easy. A guaranteed 50 according to my mate. Kicking myself for not doing it now.

Advertisement