Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Engineering 2012 - Before / After thread

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The marking schemes come out usually just in time for viewing the papers at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

spurious wrote: »
    The marking schemes come out usually just in time for viewing the papers at the end of August.

Thanks. That's a lot later than I expected. You seem to be in-the-know around these parts, so maybe you could tell me, from previous years, are there ever any unofficial marking schemes made up? Here, on boards for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

I know its not the best thing to be doing anylsing my test but can anyone tell me the manufacturing process for the helmet and maybe Q (g) and Q (M) in the short Qs cause im just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thanks. That's a lot later than I expected. You seem to be in-the-know around these parts, so maybe you could tell me, from previous years, are there ever any unofficial marking schemes made up? Here, on boards for example?
    The idea of an "unofficial marking scheme" doesn't make sense. As I understand it, a marking scheme is initially drawn up after the exam. As things progress and the scripts begin to be marked alterations are made to the marking scheme to try and keep the results roughly congruent with normal distribution (Bell curve or gaussian distribution).

So in short... forget about the exam for now and focus on your remaining exams.

The idea of an "unofficial marking scheme" doesn't make sense. As I understand it, a marking scheme is initially drawn up after the exam. As things progress and the scripts begin to be marked alterations are made to the marking scheme to try and keep the results roughly congruent with normal distribution (Bell curve or gaussian distribution).

So in short... forget about the exam for now and focus on your remaining exams.

Okay, so maybe marking scheme was a poor choice of words but I just mean a collection of correct answers for each question. I just kind of assumed people do this kind of stuff...maybe not :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Lasers was very nasty. We were lured into a false sense of security by our mock papers. Got 50/50 in the mock and I'll be happy with 40/50 today. The step up was like Foundation to Higher :pac:

Some unusual questions this year, if I'm honest. Quite a few never-before-seen ones.

With my admittedly awful practical half of the exam, I needed 95+ in that exam today to maintain my average required grade. Still relatively confident of an A on the theory side of things.

Does anyone know when a (even unofficial) marking scheme will come out for this? So I put a decent number on what I got?

Also, apparently Q5 was very, very easy. A guaranteed 50 according to my mate. Kicking myself for not doing it now.

Q.5 was very handy. It was describe the processes of SAW welding and either TIG welding or MMA welding. There was also a bit of Oxy Acetylene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Okay, so maybe marking scheme was a poor choice of words but I just mean a collection of correct answers for each question. I just kind of assumed people do this kind of stuff...maybe not :P
    Oh well that's definitely happened before. I think Maybe_memories (TCD Maths student) actually did out solutions for the HL Maths papers last year. Aside from that, I haven't seen anyone draft a set of correct answers for other subjects.

Oh well that's definitely happened before. I think Maybe_memories (TCD Maths student) actually did out solutions for the HL Maths papers last year. Aside from that, I haven't seen anyone draft a set of correct answers for other subjects.

Okay, thanks for the info! :)

Advertisement