Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

muslims bringing food through airports..

• 06-06-2012 4:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

been watching the nothing to declare stuff and time and time again mostly Muslims seem its grand to bring all manners of items through customs.

this crap not only wastes time for officials but also other passengers.

which brings the questions

1/ why? fresh fruits are readily available at their destinations

2/ can they not read?

Comments

• *Sitting back, popcorn at the ready*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

How do you know they're Muslims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What about the sneaky hang sandwiches.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

2/ can they not read?

2/ they can read - aribic

1/ pinapple bomb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

brummytom wrote: »

The horns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

brummytom wrote: »
    They have bombs in their luggage also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

They are halalin a laugh

loads of people turn into idiots at security
    they watch everyone ahead of them unpack laptops, take off coats etc etc, they see the signs everywhere... and it still doesnt seem to occur to them to do the same thing until the security people tell them
    :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i watch the same program and you must be watching it with your muslim filter glasses on, because if it's the australian one, there are all sorts of people stopped from bringing all sorts of food into australia, a lot of them asian "delicacies" too, but then there is a high proportion of asian immigrants already in australia.

so really, theres all sorts of people stopped for all sorts, mostly people sending drugs concealed in parcels though.

yeah, take off the muslim filtered glasses like a good man! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This is surely a parody thread.

Surely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Ah casual racism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Most of the people bringing in food seem to come from countries that aren't predominately Muslim, so singling out the Muslims is a load of old cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I bring loads of irish food back to Sweden any time I go home. black/white pudding, sausages, mcCambridge bread...

People like stuff from home. big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The passengers from the Orient always seem to get their collars felt trying to get into the colonies

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

bluewolf wrote: »
    loads of people turn into idiots at security
    they watch everyone ahead of them unpack laptops, take off coats etc etc, they see the signs everywhere... and it still doesnt seem to occur to them to do the same thing until the security people tell them
    :mad::mad:

I purposely don't do any of those things, and try to make it as slow as possible. The way i figure it, if everyone did that, the system would grind to a halt and they would actually have to think of a more effective and efficient system, rather than the security theatre they have now.

Will never happen, i know, but at least i'm doing my part....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Muslims stock up on food , Irish stock up on fags and booze :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

If its happening in the EU, they know dam well they will get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

been watching the nothing to declare stuff and time and time again mostly Muslims seem its grand to bring all manners of items through customs.

this crap not only wastes time for officials but also other passengers.

which brings the questions

2/ can they not read?

I've seen alot of Vitamise and Chinese on the show, I just assumed it was their proximty to Oz. Never actually knew they were Muslem though.

:rolleyes:

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I bring loads of irish food back to Sweden any time I go home. black/white pudding, sausages, mcCambridge bread...

oh it's a big deal in oz jaykay, things like bananas and stuff, they're ferociously strict in australia because they dont want any kinds of foreign bacteria or bugs, infections, etc, entering their country and risking harming their own native flora and fauna... :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Just so long as they don't bring any chuzzwazzers into Australia, it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ the stupidity of the op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Ah casual racism!

don't worry im sure a mod will lock this soon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I'd love a bag of duck tongues right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

The majority bring caught with food,plants,seeds etc are Asian. They use a lot of them for medicinal reasons. Stupidly they also bring in stuff to plant which is a big no-no in oz, as they are afraid of the soil being contaminated and diseases spreading to other plants. I think you need to edit your post OP.

irish-stew wrote: »
    I've seen alot of Vitamise and Chinese on the show, I just assumed it was their proximty to Oz. Never actually knew they were Muslem though.

Squint and imagine
    this when you watch it again. It'll become clearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

What I can never understand is that all these people fail to tick the "Do you have any food?" box, and that's what gets them in trouble. By the sounds of it if you tick the box, they still might take the food from you (depending on what it is), but there won't be a fine or anything.

If I'm ever going to Australia I think I'll just tick that box just in case there's a stray tic-tac hidden in my luggage somewhere that I may have overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I remember seeing one Chinese woman with a jar of live bugs munching their way through the rotten contents. She insisted that the bugs were medicinal and that she eats one if she gets a headache.

yup, they're gas, they get handed a piece of paper before they check their stuff in, and have to write down any food items or other stuff they need to declare, and then when they get to the check in area they claim they didnt know about they had to declare foodstuffs, so the airport personnel shows them on the back of the card where it's written in their language.

i remember one guy who i think was forced to pay $600AUS to get his cuban cigars back that were given to him as a birthday present! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Every time I fly into Helsinki, I have a rake of rashers, sausages, Clonakilty white pudding, stuffing for chickens, Irish whiskey marmelade for the missus, marrowfat peas and a lot of other stuff you can't get in Finland ---:)

I bet the Finnish customs are always muttering to themselves about those fcuking Irish atheists bringing in food, like there was a famine or something ---:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

once, just once I want to watch one of those border control shows and see little chinese man try to smuggle a Mogwai into Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

A dingo ate my baby!

A dingo ate my baby!

bloody muslim dingos.

shhh dr bollocko is on now.... no more casual racism is allowed

Now now, I get the feeling people aren't taking the OP seriously.

(S)he raises some interesting questions which I'll now address one by one:

1. Can Muslims read? Based on visual observation and subsequent comprehension-checking of the Muslims in my class, I can confirm that at least... Ah, that's already more effort than it's worth.

*sigh* Allah be with the days when trolls would actually put a little work into their posts to appear legitimate and sucker people into arguing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

*Sitting back, popcorn at the ready*

You cant bring that in either as it will do something to the local flora and fauna and desecrate the local ecology or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I've seen alot of Vitamise

Is this some oriental vitamin or tonic drink? If not it should be "perk up - have a vitamise"

tin79 wrote: »
    Is this some oriental vitamin or tonic drink? If not it should be "perk up - have a vitamise"

its a posh yakult

Now now, I get the feeling people aren't taking the OP seriously.

I resent that. I take this kind of thing very serious indeed. I even tucked me lad back inside me y-fronts to reply.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I always marvel at that program too.. Chinese girls arguing that their huge consignment of sweets is not actually 'food'..

"No Food"
    "Do you eat it?"
    "Yes"
    "Then it's food"
    "NO FOOD!!!!
    and repeat x 10

Those security guards must have the patience of saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

jaykay74 wrote: »

Tried to get my brother to smuggle Bachelors beans when I was living abroad, customs weren't having any of it. Threw my beans away, the brats.
    What type of food is it the Muslims do be trying to sneak in anyway? Maybe the cans of chickpeas just aren't quite the same in oz? Or is it more sinister foodstuffs?...

• Advertisement

Tried to get my brother to smuggle Bachelors beans when I was living abroad, customs weren't having any of it. Threw my beans away, the brats.
    What type of food is it the Muslims do be trying to sneak in anyway? Maybe the cans of chickpeas just aren't quite the same in oz? Or is it more sinister foodstuffs?...

tell the truth.... it was a bean bomb.... your evil plan to fart a plane out of the sky was foiled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Can we bring whiskey into a Muslim country where consumption of alcohol is prohibited by law?

And what happens to somebody who tries to take an Irishman's bottle of Jameson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I imagine it would take all manners of stuff to make a bomb. Those pesky Muslims - stealing the notoriety of the Irish for bomb making.

It's an Al Qaeda plot to smuggle a bomb into Australia to destroy the production offices and casts of Home and Away and Neighbours in order to send western morale plummeting.

They had once planned to assassinate Paul Hogan, but then everyone forgot him.
    The flamin' galahs! They're worse than the hoons from Yabbi Creek! I wish they'd rack off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mostly Muslims

Did they tell you what faith they were? Or you labelling them muslims for their skin colour?

Whats wrong with the occasional bit of homely nibbles?

No worse than the tons and tons of stuff that slips through customs at the port each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You think it's bad just flying into Australia. They even have restrictions on the movement of fresh food across state borders:mad: Took all my nosh away just to charge extra a few miles across the border in WA.

As for the bananas, small part may be due to certain pests but a large reason is market protectionism by banana growers in QLD. Even allowing for the floods you'd buy bananas cheaper in Europe than Aus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Every time I fly into Helsinki, I have a rake of rashers, sausages, Clonakilty white pudding, stuffing for chickens, Irish whiskey marmelade for the missus, marrowfat peas and a lot of other stuff you can't get in Finland ---:)

I bet the Finnish customs are always muttering to themselves about those fcuking Irish atheists bringing in food, like there was a famine or something ---:D:D

It doesn't matter to the Finns.
    Bringing in Irish food from Ireland would bother the Aussies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For fun I did a search on boards for "bringing food to america" and it seems the Irish as well as Muslims like to bring fresh food to places where it can already be bought...
    Could be Irish Muslims though (I don't want to go off-topic here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

A Muslim can be any skin colour. Ireland would not be a Target.

biko wrote: »
    For fun I did a search on boards for "bringing food to america" and it seems the Irish as well as Muslims like to bring fresh food to places where it can already be bought...
    Could be Irish Muslims though (I don't want to go off-topic here).

nah the airport security keep the food then sell it back to ya in the airport food outlets at exorbitant prices

• Advertisement
Advertisement