Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

muslims bringing food through airports..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

biko wrote: »
    For fun I did a search on boards for "bringing food to america" and it seems the Irish as well as Muslims like to bring fresh food to places where it can already be bought...
    Could be Irish Muslims though (I don't want to go off-topic here).

Are you counting a jumbo bag of Mr Tayto as Fresh food there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Did they tell you what faith they were? Or you labelling them muslims for their skin colour?

Whats wrong with the occasional bit of homely nibbles?

No worse than the tons and tons of stuff that slips through customs at the port each day.

every incident so far (which i seen) were all muslim, the clothes were a give away, the food they were taking, and a few even said it.

most were from india, malaysia.

not all of these people are muslim i am sure but any i have seen so far seem to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I watched it last night and there was a guy from Hawaii with a banananananana.

Why do all Hawaiians bring food through airports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

biko wrote: »
    For fun I did a search on boards for "bringing food to america" and it seems the Irish as well as Muslims like to bring fresh food to places where it can already be bought...
    Could be Irish Muslims though (I don't want to go off-topic here).

God Fucking help you if you try and bring a sandwich through JFK.
    They do not like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

A security woman swabbed my bag for what I assumed was a drug test last September in Manchester airport. She came back and told me "Sir I'm going to have to get you to talk to my manager as your bag has tested positive for explosive materials!" So I had a chat with the manager in front of all the other passengers about why I apparently was carrying explosives, told them I was a student pilot and they just let me go......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

A school friend of mine (to keep within the thread boundaries lets call him ahmad) always had the most sarcastic sense of humor ever and was going through an airport in america and said to the immigration officer " the bomb is in the other bag". Of course immigration officers are noted for their sense of humor also, but this one being the exception, well long story short, one long interview and full body cavity search later, he was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

brummytom wrote: »
    How do you know they're Muslims?

He probably means arabic...
    and so because theyre arabic he assumes theyre muslim..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

maybe their trying to built a H(alal) bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    You think it's bad just flying into Australia. They even have restrictions on the movement of fresh food across state borders:mad: Took all my nosh away just to charge extra a few miles across the border in WA.

As for the bananas, small part may be due to certain pests but a large reason is market protectionism by banana growers in QLD. Even allowing for the floods you'd buy bananas cheaper in Europe than Aus.

Homer: {Oh my God...what'll I do, what'll I do?}
    Marge: {What's the matter with you, Homer? We don't have any fruits or
    vegetables in the car.}
    Homer: {[winces] The whole trunk's full of 'em, Marge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

bb1234567 wrote: »
    He probably means arabic...
    and so because theyre arabic he assumes theyre muslim..

What? :pac:

People bring stuff they don't think they'll be able to get in the country or stuff that will cost them an absolute fortune. As long as it's declared, no problem. If it's knowingly concealed, it should be deportation and an exclusion order. Too dangerous to be risking entire industries and jobs for someone's delicacies. Anyone have experience of bringing Taytos over to Australia as a matter of curiosity? Would it be taken from you even if you declared it? It's a packaged good, can't see that being a risk surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anytime I've watched Nothing To Declare every second person was an Asian smuggling birds nest (the stuff that birds nest soup is made from). I can't fathom how someone couldn't live without it for a couple of weeks, especially as it looks vile.

On the Australian one I see a lot of Australians smuggling knives and swords. On the British version they seem more interested in cigarettes.

I haven't seen many Muslims on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Nodin wrote: »
    The horns.

And the chants of:

DEATH TO AMERICA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I dropped my folks off at the airport there earlier for their holidays to Tenerife and I watched them put ham, cheese, bread rolls, butter, chocolate, tea bags and a bag of apples into their suitcase - I've lived in Spain and not only can you get all those things there, you can get them way cheaper!:rolleyes: Boggles the mind!

Also, it's the Chinese that are notorious for the smuggling of weird food - I love watching that border control program just to see what crazy foods come out of the bags! Ducks tongues and eye balls yiiiick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I dropped my folks off at the airport there earlier for their holidays to Tenerife and I watched them put ham, cheese, bread rolls, butter, chocolate, tea bags and a bag of apples into their suitcase - I've lived in Spain and not only can you get all those things there, you can get them way cheaper!:rolleyes: Boggles the mind!

Also, it's the Chinese that are notorious for the smuggling of weird food - I love watching that border control program just to see what crazy foods come out of the bags! Ducks tongues and eye balls yiiiick!

If teabags ever start showing up as drugs in their scans, half of Ireland will be done for. While it's possible to buy tea in many places abroad, it's often Liptons, which most people seem to equate to boiled puke. I'm not a tea drinker, but frequently carry giant boxes of teabags when I go visit people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Worked in an Aussie airport a few years ago, there's these stainless steel bins with spring-loaded lids intended for disposing of food items before going thru customs. Guess what was sticking out of it one night? A great big fcuk-off Samurai sword that someone had thought better of offloading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

So I hear your a racist now father

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bluewolf wrote: »
    loads of people turn into idiots at security
    they watch everyone ahead of them unpack laptops, take off coats etc etc, they see the signs everywhere... and it still doesnt seem to occur to them to do the same thing until the security people tell them
    :mad::mad:

I travel quite a bit for work.
    This does my brain in so fcuking much.

You're in a Q for 5/10/15 mins, you see 100 people go through security, you get your turn and stand their like a moron wondering what to do :confused::confused:
    I like to spend as little time in the airport as possible as morons like these people hold me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

bluewolf wrote: »
    loads of people turn into idiots at security
    :mad::mad:

The people working there seem to turn into idiots on the first day or else its a requirement for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

dmcronin wrote: »
    Worked in an Aussie airport a few years ago, there's these stainless steel bins with spring-loaded lids intended for disposing of food items before going thru customs. Guess what was sticking out of it one night? A great big fcuk-off Samurai sword that someone had thought better of offloading!

Are they illegal in australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Wouldn't it be easier just to ban muslims from travelling at all. Think of the time it would save the rest of us. No more long queues at airports. No danger of anyone causing any more terrorist attacks. Confine them to their own country or only allow them to live in guarded ghettoes ahem sorry compounds within non-muslim countries. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    A security woman swabbed my bag for what I assumed was a drug test last September in Manchester airport. She came back and told me "Sir I'm going to have to get you to talk to my manager as your bag has tested positive for explosive materials!" So I had a chat with the manager in front of all the other passengers about why I apparently was carrying explosives, told them I was a student pilot and they just let me go......:)

I had something similiar to this happen me in the USA, I had been shooting the day before and wore the same t-shirt on the flight and went through one of those bomb detector things which spray air at you and it detected the gun residue on the t-shirt, cue alot of explaining and all my carryon luggage getting tossed out and getting scrutinized. I showed them the pics of me holding my mates gun and the same T-shirt on me. They were cool with it and I apologized and told them I never had to go through a bomb detector before, which I hadn't.

When I was in Oz in 2010, I decided to take along a packet of corn flakes for some insane reason and I declared it as food as you do having watched Border Security, I cleared much faster having declared it and had to wait for my friends who went through the nothing to declare side like around 95% of passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

amtw wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be easier just to ban muslims from travelling at all. Think of the time it would save the rest of us. No more long queues at airports. No danger of anyone causing any more terrorist attacks. Confine them to their own country or only allow them to live in guarded ghettoes ahem sorry compounds within non-muslim countries. Problem solved.

Islamistan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Confine them to their own country or only allow them to live in guarded ghettoes ahem sorry compounds within non-muslim countries. Problem solved.

Bakalakadaka street?

Yep, send them all back to Muslimania.

You sound a tad bigoted there, to be honest.

every incident so far (which i seen) were all muslim, the clothes were a give away, the food they were taking, and a few even said it.

most were from india, malaysia.

not all of these people are muslim i am sure but any i have seen so far seem to be.

Why? Did your Muslim detector go off when they were on-screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I look forward to the Irish version where they can show people up for not declaring their contact with farm animals or try and explain the suitcase that contains nothing but fags n booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its always the asians from what i can tell whenever im going through airports

mad for their tinned food they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Did it show all the Taytos and Barrys that the Irish are bringing over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sure why not, it's difficult to find Bacon Fries in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

eth0 wrote: »
    Are they illegal in australia?

That's not a knife, THAT'S a knife.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    What I can never understand is that all these people fail to tick the "Do you have any food?" box, and that's what gets them in trouble. By the sounds of it if you tick the box, they still might take the food from you (depending on what it is), but there won't be a fine or anything.

If I'm ever going to Australia I think I'll just tick that box just in case there's a stray tic-tac hidden in my luggage somewhere that I may have overlooked.

I've been to Australia once .. They spray the plane with insecticide whilst passengers are still on board and they also show a video
    It might be slightly trickier to know what's going on if English is not your first language however the video makes it fairly clear they don't want you to bring food or natural products into the country.

I declared and queued up to tell them I had a box of Butler's chocolates and probably would have provided details of what I had for breakfast had they asked.

My Aussie friends laughed at the fact I declared that but seriously the video made you think you could be responsible for Armageddon

eth0 wrote: »
    The people working there seem to turn into idiots on the first day or else its a requirement for the job

the ones in t1 were never the nicest but the ones in t2 when i was there last were lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I wish I could get a decent doner kebab through the airport in edible condition.

been watching the nothing to declare stuff and time and time again mostly Muslims seem its grand to bring all manners of items through customs.

this crap not only wastes time for officials but also other passengers.

which brings the questions

1/ why? fresh fruits are readily available at their destinations

2/ can they not read?

They do not have to declare their reliigion at customs so you have no possible way of knowing they are Muslim.
    Try watching it again without the haze of presumption and you might see things differently.
    the people trying to smuggle in food or natural products are primarily Chinese or Korean. They're not trying to bring in fresh fruits.. It's usually herbs, insects various balms, powders, tree bark roots etc. when asked they usually say it is for medicine or healh drinks so I their mind not food.
    Drugs mules are usually older South East Asian women. People who swab positive for drugs are mostly young white western men. The people lying about their work/ holiday status, previous criminal convictions or the fact they've previously worked in Oz are mostly British or Irish

If the programme was actually about legions of people who genuinely had nothing to declare it'd be pretty damn boring.
    They probably have to film for ages to come up with enough footage for one show.
    They're always going to show the extreme cases. If you've ever seen Airline or similar you will see people trying to fly on the wrong day at the wrong time without id etc. these are mostly English speaking people who presumably can read.
    These programmes are in part infotainment and part reality tv

Prejudice wastes a lot more time and resource I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

xsiborg wrote: »
    i watch the same program and you must be watching it with your muslim filter glasses on, because if it's the australian one, there are all sorts of people stopped from bringing all sorts of food into australia, a lot of them asian "delicacies" too, but then there is a high proportion of asian immigrants already in australia.

so really, theres all sorts of people stopped for all sorts, mostly people sending drugs concealed in parcels though.

yeah, take off the muslim filtered glasses like a good man! :rolleyes:

Maybe he thinks they are all Muslims as the OP himself wears a burqha while watching this show only? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

xsiborg wrote: »
    i watch the same program and you must be watching it with your muslim filter glasses on, because if it's the australian one, there are all sorts of people stopped from bringing all sorts of food into australia, a lot of them asian "delicacies" too, but then there is a high proportion of asian immigrants already in australia.

so really, theres all sorts of people stopped for all sorts, mostly people sending drugs concealed in parcels though.

yeah, take off the muslim filtered glasses like a good man! :rolleyes:

Maybe he thinks they are all Muslims as the OP himself wears a burqha, but only while watching this show? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

They should be punished by making them sit down and eat a plate of pork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Laneyh wrote: »
    I've been to Australia once .. They spray the plane with insecticide whilst passengers are still on board and they also show a video
    It might be slightly trickier to know what's going on if English is not your first language however the video makes it fairly clear they don't want you to bring food or natural products into the country.

I declared and queued up to tell them I had a box of Butler's chocolates and probably would have provided details of what I had for breakfast had they asked.

My Aussie friends laughed at the fact I declared that but seriously the video made you think you could be responsible for Armageddon

They should spray the whole of Australia with insecticide to kill off the murderous native bugs before they start on "Ants on a plane".

Advertisement