Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyper Hype Hyper 16 Month Old

Options
  • 06-06-2012 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Myself and My OH are cracking up, our little girl is unbelievably hyper (I have loads of nephews, nieces, grew up around loads of toddlers etc) and she just never stops.

Constantly running, screaming, grapping, pulling, lately slapping and it is very draining, my OH is really having a hard time as I work full time.

A normal day would be in bed at 8.30pm, lots of hassle before she actually sleeps, wake up at 1am then 2am then 3 am and then up proper for 6.30am and then the fun really begins .We've tried ignoring her, calpol, everything you can think of and to be honest the sleeping part isn't the problem its the daytime.

Constant running around and pulling at everything, tried to discipline and using the word "No" loudly and clearly doesn't bother her one bit, if you pick her up she will strain to get down and run around.....its an absolute struggle getting her into car seat, probably sounds like every other child but trust me she is hard hard work even our relatives with kids have commented on her energy.

When she does go down for a nap we'd expect her to sleep for two hours as she would be up at 6.30 and in creche with no naps from 9am - 2.pm, also she is fed all natural fresh food, no jars or sugary stuff

She will literally not look at a cartoon for 10 seconds or get fixated on something silly like kids do for awhile.....any suggestions or routines to try?

We're generally good at sleep routines and we try to be as repeatitive as possible in everything we do with her but ever since she can walk (12 months) its getting worse

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Big Mouth wrote: »

She will literally not look at a cartoon for 10 seconds or get fixated on something silly like kids do for awhile.....

Have you considered that she may have some form of ADHD?

The reason I say that is because I've just spent the afternoon reading through some booklets the PHN gave me this morning (had my Sons check up today) and one of the main signs to look out for when it comes to ADHD is an inability to sit and watch tv for more than a few minutes or to complete small tasks that they start.

Although 16 months is still VERY young.. I'm not sure if such things can even be diagnosed until they're much older?????

Maybe have a chat with your GP about it..

I have a friend who has an ADHD child and it doesn't really infringe on their lives much, as far as I can see.. and it's fairly easily treated afaik.

Hopefully it's just a phase she's going through though.

Best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My now 20 month old son is the same.

Into everything. Wants to know what your doing, On the go all day and falling over with tiredness but still keeps going.

Firstly a 16 or indeed 20 month old wont look at tv for a long period. Colours, movement, noise but thats all they see and hear. They dont comprehend what a cartoon is.

Your OH needs to guide the child away from things and give her something else to do. Saying "No" however loudly wont do it on its own but should be used to reinforce the action of being taken away from what they are doing.

On the other hand they are smart enough to know what they are doing and will try to push the boundaries....all part of growing up.

My son wants up and then down, down and then up.
    Im afraid its all part of them learing and growing up to become useful individuals with our guidance and patience.

I'm told it gets easier....when they are 21 but I've yet to see if thats true.

Im at home at the moment but am starting work next week so my wife will have him all to herself.

Does your OH get out to parent /child groups. It will do them both good if they do.
    My wife is involved in local playgroups and with Cuidiu who have a Parent-Link support group of women in local areas. It gives my wife a chance to chat to others who have the same problem - young children :)
    If shes in the house all day with your daughter then she will go demented.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Do you think bedtime at 8.30 is a bit too late especially if she's waking at 6.30? Is she getting over tired by 8.30 especially if she's so active all day? Having an earlier bedtime of 7-7.30 might help her sleep better at night. It would have the added advantage of giving you and your wife some calm time in the evening.

I know you didn't specifically ask about sleep and bedtime but it may be a contributing factor to her behaviour.

My son is 16 months and is in to everything too. If he's doing something out of bounds I say no and distract him with something else or remove him from the situation. He doesn't always appreciate it ;) but it usually works.

I think at this stage you'd need eyes in the back of your head trying to mind them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

During the day, take her out for a walk. Walk the legs off her...take her to an open space like a park or something and let her run!

Our eldest is like that....and that's what I did and it really worked. I know you can't so it every day, but as often as you can.

I actually thought at one stage he had some issue like adhd or something...but he's calming down a lot with age.

We have a firm time out system too (naughty step)...especially if we're in the grandparents with cousins etc...he sometimes gets too worked up, give him 2 mins in time out, he calms down and comes back himself. I appreciate your daughter is a hit young for that, but keep it in mind for about 6 months time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, exercise the energy out. I know it is tough when it is lashing rain. We got some puddleducks and wellies but they sweat like crazy in them. We go to indoor play areas when it is very bad.

I have a 15 month old old who is on the go since she started walking. Her sleep was disrupted, but we bring her to some grass every day and play chasing or with the ball. She will eventually get so tired she lies down on the grass. Back to normal sleep now with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I agree with the two above posters - as much outdoor time as possible! Play grounds, parks, going for walks, whatever is handiest. I have been taking my girl on walks to the local shop to pick up bread or milk rather than putting her in her buggy lately as she loves the exercise, although it is a little slower. I have a harness for her which is great to ease the nerves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Have a check for hidden sugars as well with what she is eating, doesn't do any harm to rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

OP, I had one exactly like yours, needed a full-time SWAT team to follow him 24/7.
    I would pretend he wasn't mine when he would attack other kids in public places.
    We did all sorts of punishments, reward charts, removal of treats, naughty step & everyone's favorite, slapping.
    Notice I used the word "had" above, once he got to about 3 he started calming down, he starts school this year & a nicer young man you'd never meet.

Don't let it put you off having more kids, we've a younger daughter that's the complete opposite, justs sits & wants to play with dollies all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Do you think bedtime at 8.30 is a bit too late especially if she's waking at 6.30? Is she getting over tired by 8.30 especially if she's so active all day? Having an earlier bedtime of 7-7.30 might help her sleep better at night. It would have the added advantage of giving you and your wife some calm time in the evening.

I know you didn't specifically ask about sleep and bedtime but it may be a contributing factor to her behaviour.

My son is 16 months and is in to everything too. If he's doing something out of bounds I say no and distract him with something else or remove him from the situation. He doesn't always appreciate it ;) but it usually works.

I think at this stage you'd need eyes in the back of your head trying to mind them!

Was going to post the exact same thing. My 16 month old goes to bed at 7pm, often won't wake up until nearly 8am and still needs at least 90 minutes of sleep during the day. Anything less and she gets wound up and/or grouchy.

Distraction is also my preferred method of removing her from something. Sometimes it works, other times I'm on the verge of losing my mind... I'm slowly learning to pick my battles though and I'm finding that if I don't make a fuss when she's into something she shouldn't, that she loses interest quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

When my eldest boy was about 15 16 months he turned into a little nightmare with hitting and pinching.. a tip we got was to hold him on our knee or standing in front of us with his back to us and hold his hands across his body in a hug type position.. when they start to struggle and want to get away you say 'every time you slap/pinch/insert problem here. it means you want mammy/daddy to hold you.' then we asked him to say sorry when he did he got free . . .it took about a week but he eventually got the message and calmed down a lot . . we only need to do it the odd time now cos he's 2 and a half and can be talked out of a lot of things..
    Distraction is the only way at this age. . ;)

Advertisement