Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Show Classes

• 06-06-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm thinking of entering my dog in the local show next month, more for the experience than anything else and just need to know which class show I enter her in, she a 3 year old bitch and the options I have are

Open Bitch
    Champion Bitch
    Field Trial Bitch

I'm so green to this I don't know which to enter, any help much appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

champion bitch is a no-go for you until you gain that title. open is probably your best choice unless she's a good worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Thanks open is the they way to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What breed is your dog?

You will have to go into Open bitch.

Can i ask why you are only starting to show at 3 years old? Most dogs are showing from 6 months so you will be in a class with very experienced dogs and handlers.

Have you been to any ring craft classes yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Dymo, I started a thread here a while back with a couple of video's for tips on handling/showing your dog.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78723913

Starting at 3 will be very hard for you to do with your dog. Not impossible just very hard.

What breed is she?
    What show are you entering her into?

Hi,

To be honest it's just something that caught my eye when I found out the local town was having a show. Shes a German Shepherd bitch and shes trained up to the obedience level at Schutzhund so she is trained but not to Dog Shows or ring craft. Firstly shes not really anywhere near the breed standard she's about 8cm too tall and has a straight back so I'm not holding out for any prizes but she has an excellent coat with good pigment markings and is proportionly right for her size. Her stride is very graceful but chest area could do with being bigger. Its more for the experience than anything.

I've tried looking for ring craft classes anywhere locally but I can't find any so I'm pretty much going to be self taught and experience from going to shows. I know the German shepherd is treated differently than other show dogs as in the stacking is different and more about showing temperament of the dog.

I've been video taping myself striding with the dog just to get her gating correct.And trying to fine tune it. Also I've been getting other people to examine her and teeth so she can get used to it.

I've done a bit of research and last year there was only 3 bitches in that class.

This dog is very similar to her and its that stride I'm trying to replicate.

Dymo, I started a thread here a while back with a couple of video's for tips on handling/showing your dog.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=78723913

Any more tips greatly appreciated I know I'm going to have a busy couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Firstly shes not really anywhere near the breed standard she's about 8cm too tall and has a straight back so I'm not holding out for any prizes

be grateful for that. the KC breed standard is a disgrace and they should be ashamed of what they've done to the GSD.

if its only a local town show then there's every chance they're going on a working standard rather than KC. if thats the case and she's a capable working dog, then you have as much chance as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hi,

To be honest it's just something that caught my eye when I found out the local town was having a show. Shes a German Shepherd bitch and shes trained up to the obedience level at Schutzhund so she is trained but not to Dog Shows or ring craft. Firstly shes not really anywhere near the breed standard she's about 8cm too tall and has a straight back so I'm not holding out for any prizes but she has an excellent coat with good pigment markings and is proportionly right for her size. Her stride is very graceful but chest area could do with being bigger. Its more for the experience than anything.

I've tried looking for ring craft classes anywhere locally but I can't find any so I'm pretty much going to be self taught and experience from going to shows. I know the German shepherd is treated differently than other show dogs as in the stacking is different and more about showing temperament of the dog.

I've been video taping myself striding with the dog just to get her gating correct.And trying to fine tune it. Also I've been getting other people to examine her and teeth so she can get used to it.

I've done a bit of research and last year there was only 3 bitches in that class.

This dog is very similar to her and its that stride I'm trying to replicate.

Any more tips greatly appreciated I know I'm going to have a busy couple of weeks.
    do not be too disappointed if you do not win anything in your first show,even if you dog is a good show specimen,there is still a lot of ;who knows who; i campaigned in three shows with out any luck,that was untill the breeder of my dog took him off me and then he went best in show,after that i started to win everything with him,if you are keen get a known show person to handle him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

getz wrote: »
    do not be too disappointed if you do not win anything in your first show,even if you dog is a good show specimen,there is still a lot of ;who knows who; i campaigned in three shows with out any luck,that was untill the breeder of my dog took him off me and then he went best in show,after that i started to win everything with him,if you are keen get a known show person to handle him
    its all about the "click" its who ya know:mad:

pokertalk wrote: »
    its all about the "click" its who ya know:mad:

Sorry but thats not true. Have you shown before? I came in as a newbie in a popular breed with high numbers and faces and ive done so well with my dog, but you need to have a half decent dog to start with.

no i was told this buy a customer who has shown dogs for 20 years she is the one that used the term click

• Advertisement

i think this post kinds backs up what im saying

Sorry but i disagree. Yes there would be a certain amount of it but the people who show their dogs have been doing so for years and they are there week in week out.

Most people who have been in it for a long time also have very good quality dogs as they know what to choose when it comes to a quality show dog.

A newbie coming in doesnt always have champion quality as they might be showing their pet who maybe hasnt come from very good quality dogs and they could have major faults which they would be knocked on when they start showing, so therefore, they will find it hard to win.

When i started showing my dog, i was a complete novice and so was Cooper, but, he came from a line of quality dogs, his father was a Uk and Irish Champion and his grandfather was best of breed at Crufts.

I put a lot of work into him from day one and it paid off. Cooper after 4 years ended up top rottweiler in Ireland in 2011 and has 29 green stars, numerous best of breeds, group wins and placings, a reserve best in show etc etc. All this was when i handled him myself. I didnt need a face to win, as he was a good dog and overall, judges will see past a face.

Getz you said you did 3 shows and didnt win, 3 shows is nothing. I am there at every show, every week, and i dont always win, so it takes a lot more than just 3 shows to win.
    If your dog is good enough it will win, no matter who is handling it.

I dont see the point in getting someone else to handle YOUR dog, wheres the fun or reward in that?? I can take pride that all my dogs wins are down to them and the fact that they are good quality dogs that won on their own merit and nothing else and i would never, ever change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm a little mixed with the views about shows, do I think that click has a lot to do with it, YES I'm sure it has, I've spoken to people who attend shows regularly and heard of stories going on. At one show a family of breeders who judged a competition had a daughter in law enter in her maiden name so the dog could win without suspicion, so in my opinion there is a lot of who you know.

But then if your a regular at show and go every second week your going to get known around the circuit and your face is going to recognised. Judges are wary of awarding a prize to some unknown dog or breeder as it could effect their own position(People wondering why that Dog won over Champion Dog). and these people at shows have worked for their position for years to hone their craft so may feel a little put out by a new person on the scene. But at the end of the day its the best prepared dog on the day should be the winner.

andreac, Cooper a great looking dog will he be at the Kilkenny Show at the end of the month?

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I'm a little mixed with the views about shows, do I think that click has a lot to do with it, YES I'm sure it has, I've spoken to people who attend shows regularly and heard of stories going on. At one show a family of breeders who judged a competition had a daughter in law enter in her maiden name so the dog could win without suspicion, so in my opinion there is a lot of who you know.

andreac, Cooper a great looking dog will he be at the Kilkenny Show at the end of the month?

Sorry but i dont know how the higlighted bit is true. When you are in the ring with your dog, the judge doesnt know who the dogs are or who owns them as they only see numbers on the exhibitors They dont see a catalogue or names of people at all, so not sure how you saying that could be true.
    Also, not sure what you mean by a family of breeders judging a competition, as there is only ever one judge in the ring at a time and there are very rarely people all related judging at one show.

Yes, we will be at Kilkenny Show at the end of the month so if you spot us come and say hi :)

have to agree with andrea. i walked into my first show a total newbie with no idea and walked away with best bitch. second show i just tried to copy what everyone else was doing and came away with 2nd overall in breed.

granted they are working breed shows but a great dog will stand out everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but i dont know how the higlighted bit is true. When you are in the ring with your dog, the judge doesnt know who the dogs are or who owns them as they only see numbers on the exhibitors They dont see a catalogue or names of people at all, so not sure how you saying that could be true.

It was actually a show organised by a well known breeders and most of the dogs were there by invitation as these people were probably the number one breeders for this breed in Ireland. About 30 dogs from around the country were there and the Judge was brought over by the breeders and stayed in their house. The person I know who attended with his 2 dogs was really pissed off after travelling 2 hours up and down to this supreme show of this breed and only found out later that the winners all had connections.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    It was actually a show organised by a well known breeders and most of the dogs were there by invitation as these people were probably the number one breeders for this breed in Ireland. About 30 dogs from around the country were there and the Judge was brought over by the breeders and stayed in their house. The person I know who attended with his 2 dogs was really pissed off after travelling 2 hours up and down to this supreme show of this breed and only found out later that the winners all had connections.

ive heard of shows like that put on by breeders... it isnt too difficult to figure out what they're all about when there is money at stake on the outcome.

ive not heard of that type of judging at sanctioned shows but im not around KC events much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't really have any advice OP, but just wanted to say that I think one more working GSD in the show ring can only be a good thing, regardless of the outcome. I'm currently mulling over whether I really want to get into showing with my pup, he won't be bred from and any accolades he would gain would be a reflection of his breeders more so than me. It would mean an awful lot of travel and expense, and leaving my other dog at home although I think I would like to experience it to see for myself what it is that so many people get hooked on and rave about so perhaps I'm in the same boat as yourself and might do a few shows that are not too far away.

Thanks for the reply's
    but just wanted to say that I think one more working GSD in the show ring can only be a good thing

I've a long haired GSD working line old style with the straight back and big head I can't wait until the sloped back will this not be accepted in the show ring and let a german shepherd win with a strong straight back.

Hi Andrea,

Cooper is a super looking dog
    Cooper-ad-lo-res.jpg

How do you get his coat looking so rich and shiney, apart from diet is there any other tricks to get the coat looking so good

Thanks Dymo :)

To be honest i dont do much apart form good diet and hes washed regularly for the shows.

He is an indoor dog, so lives inside at night so maybe that helps with the coat too.

I used to have him on Fish Oil and Flax oil too but i havent been adding anything for a while lately, really must go and get some actually.

Just to add, the long haired G.S. isnt accepted into Championship shows afaik.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dymo :)

Just to add, the long haired G.S. isnt accepted into Championship shows afaik.

I'm not quite sure what the ruling is but white, black and long haired GSD's are considered a Shepherd fault. The long coat German Shepherd is considered a fault is that it lacks an undercoat. This limits the weatherproofing ability of German Shepherd dogs and can make them sensitive to the elements.(Which I disagree with, I have a long haired and short and its the longhaired who doesn't feel the weather) I think its a bit unfair as there are plenty of other breeds with longhaired variety's allowed in shows. And the working lines are more true to the original breeding of GSD's.

Sorry to go on a bit but I've just done a lot of research into the German Shepherds from their beginning and how they became popular up to present day.

i know i am going back over 30 years [my show years and i made up a top staffy]the problem was in the early days was that all or most judges were breeders,so it came down to that when they showed, the judge would often think when selecting a dog,that the dogs owner may be the judge at my next show,so untill you are known its hard,it wasent that my dog or i was not trained in show craft,every month we would go to the staffie north west show training puppy classes ,and at the end of the season he was awarded the top class puppy,

Most if not all dog judges are either breeders or exhibitors anyway as thats where they gain their experience and knowledge to judge in the first place.

I certainly didnt find it hard and i was not known when i started. Also my four or 5 good friends i made in dog showing, who were also not known in their breeds when they started, have all made up champions and done very well.

So ill stand by my words, you do not need to be known, you need a good dog from the word go, otherwise you are wasting your time.

even a the top, judge discrepancies can be seen,take crufts this year,the utility group judge geoff cornish together with his partner micael coad have owned many top winning bichon frises,the toy group was the second to be judged. and mr cornish,s partner michael coad was in this group with their bichon frise.surely this cannot be right.these two handlers are being allowed by the kennel club to do as they please,and closer to me andrew brace one of the UKs top all-round judges has been fined £300 over the nature of his judging in blackpool , make your own mind up ,it goes right to the top.

even a the top, judge discrepancies can be seen,take crufts this year,the utility group judge geoff cornish together with his partner micael coad have owned many top winning bichon frises,the toy group was the second to be judged. and mr cornish,s partner michael coad was in this group with their bichon frise.surely this cannot be right.these two handlers are being allowed by the kennel club to do as they please,and closer to me andrew brace one of the UKs top all-round judges has been fined £300 over the nature of his judging in blackpool , make your own mind up ,it goes right to the top.

But the Bichon is not in the Utility Group so what would that have to do with Geoff judging the Utility Group?

But the Bichon is not in the Utility Group so what would that have to do with Geoff judging the Utility Group?
    i did not say geoff was judging the utility group,reading over just what i said i can understand why you thought that.i think what was upsetting everyone was that a cruft judges partner was showing their dogs in the same show,as you know all the judges and their partners stay at the same venues and mingle

I know what you are saying, but sure at dog shows everyone knows someone so if that was the case no one would be able to judge, as everyone would seem to be doing favours as they supposedly know each other.

There would be a small amount of who you know in the ring but overall i think its quite fair and thats coming from first hand experience.

OP, I'm pretty sure you can't enter a long-haired GSD in an IKC show, definitely check before you go wasting a whole load of your time :(

OP, I'm pretty sure you can't enter a long-haired GSD in an IKC show, definitely check before you go wasting a whole load of your time :(

I'm pretty sure you can't enter long haired into competition too but I have 2 German Shepherds and its the plush coat/standard coat I have entered in the comp.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure you can't enter long haired into competition too but I have 2 German Shepherds and its the plush coat/standard coat I have entered in the comp.

Ah, I see, I'm easily confused :p

Advertisement