Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Riding Fitness

Options
  • 06-06-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I recently started sharing a gorgeous skewbald gelding named Garfield, owned by a boardsie.

I stopped riding five years ago, and bar a few odd days haven't really rode since. While my mind never forgot how to ride, my muscles sure did!

The muscle pain I am getting used to, and I know my muscles will get back used to it too.

The problem I'm having is my own fitness now. Yesterday, I was out of breath after five minutes! I'm a slim girl but I am very unfit when it comes to any kind of cardio. To my friends, sitting on a horse doesn't look like much exercise but I know it is! Did anyone ever experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Yes, me too! I've just started back horse riding a few weeks ago after over a year off after breaking my foot and ankle.

My legs get really tired after an hour or so in the saddle, particularly my thighs, I can feel the muscles have been used. I've been googling exercises to try strengthen them up again but I think the only thing that's going to help is more time in the saddle!

I lifted small weights (5lbs) while I was out of action so my arms are still in pretty good shape and I do sit ups anyway so that's helping my position and I try to adopt my riding seat even just sitting at my desk in work :P Another exercise I like to do is the Plank - if you're not familiar with it, google it, it is great for toning all your core muscles.

For cardio maybe try fit in as many walks as you can during the week - building up to brisker walks and maybe even a few mins jogging if you can? I used to do a lot of running and hope to get back into it over the summer. It's mad how quickly you can lose fitness - I used to help with leading kids ponies on weekends and would be walking and running alongside them for a few hours over the course of various lessons - now 10 or 15 mins walking the arena and I'm exhausted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

That's an interesting question; so often we focus on our horses' fitness instead of examining our own.

I used to work in an office environment, and I began to found it to adjust to riding on weekends after having spent the week sat behind a desk. I kept my fitness up by cycling heavily, which although not always ideal work for the muscles you want strengthened for riding, is a fantastic aerobic exercise and should improve your cardiovascular health in spades.

Also, it's Summer, and it's a shame not to take advantage of exercises which incorporate the outdoors. If you're not into cycling, tennis is another sport which is 'in season' in terms of the climate, and is pretty challenging from a fitness point of view.

You mentioned tired muscles; I find it helpful to start any riding session by doing some stretching atop your mount - bend to touch the point of your right boot with your left hand, and so on. Exercises like this improve your flexibility and can be a valuable addition to the warm up process.

Also ride! As Valentina suggested, nothing will work on the muscles you need for riding like riding itself. It will hurt at the beginning, and you will have to put up with a lot of groaning, but doing something you clearly enjoy will hopefully diminish some of your pain until the point when your body is more capable of responding to the demands that riding can make.

However, cardio intensive workouts like tennis and cycling are something that can be nice enhancements for your fitness away from the stables, and because of their rigorous nature can be really good for getting fit quickly while enjoying yourself at the same time.

Yes I had forgotten about exercises in the saddle. I remember when I was learning to ride many years ago we always did our stretches as well as 'around the world' and 'threading the needle' etc. I must see tomorrow can I still do any of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Don't forget "the scissors"! That was a great challenge, don't know why we leave these things behind at pony club. They could be a valuable tool for lots of adults:pac:

Oh no I hated the scissors! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

My instructor has recommended pilates for strengthening core mussles which are essential for numerous things :)

Advertisement