Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artex ceiling removal products

• 06-06-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Although reboarding/skimming is well discussed elsewhere - does anyone have any experience of using any of the products that have been advertised for removal of artex/stipple ceiling effects:

- Polycell smoothover
    - X-Tex
    - any other

Also after using these products - or steaming off the artex - does the ceiling need to be skimmed again before paint?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I steamed it off with a wall paper stripper. It came off in big chunks mostly.

It would be best to let it dry out, polybond then skim over.

I would never skim over the stipple directly, it usually just pulls down the loose bits...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Steamer for the win here.Also a stanley knife for srouring/slashing into the surface of the artex.

An Earlex Steamer or a Black and Decker Steamer will do the job too.

Febond is brilliant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I steamed it off and used a scraper, completely modrenised the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Just a word of caution Artex constains asbestos - ( Artex manufactured up to late 80's)
    so remove with care, using dust mask & wear appropiate H&S equipment / clothing.

Asbestos is safe until it is drilled, scratched or broken as its the tiny dust particles that are dangerous to humans lungs.

See manufacturers advice & HSA advice on safe removal.

Advertisement