Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you do the Leaving Cert and how did you do in it?

• 06-06-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I did it in 1992.
    Got one honour in history higher level

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

1968 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

1999 - passed it only studying the morning of each exam.
    honors in accountancy and chemistry.
    And yes grammer nazis i ded almouse feil de passe english papar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The one thing I always remember most about my LC was the Irish essay I wrote. Something about a guy off his face on drugs trying to break in to my house so I bust his head with an empty bottle of buckfast. I had no idea what the **** I was writing about, didn't care either though as I hated Irish. I'd say the corrector got some "WTF?" moment reading it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

1998, 4 A's in Honours subjects, an A and 2 B's in Pass ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

5 Honours, 2 pass

I iz smart

My English essay was plagiarized and learned off word for word from a short story in readers digest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

1995 3 honours and 4 passes, all honours subjects.

And again in 96 when I didnt do a whole let better.

D3 in Honours Maths on both occasions, never in doubt :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

2009 :p

5 at honours and 2 at pass!

i actually did well in chemistry which surprised me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Must be almost ten years ago now! :eek:

Did well in it, 500+ points. Got an A1 in Honours English, after getting Ds all through 5th and 6th year, so was fairly happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

2007; 500 points. 6 honours 1 pass (and a really bad pass...D1 pass maths, I am ashamed to put it on the CV/applications that ask for grades). This was the last year that both English papers were on the same day...that takes huge pressure off that they're not anymore. I got an A1 in it all the same :) after being a C student for 2 years it was great.

2001 all honours

would have been worse if i'd been forced to endure 5th year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

550 points.

Could do the job I'm doing now if I had 0 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A1s in History and Business. I got high to low B's in AG Science, English, French, Irish. C1 in Maths, I did higher level in everything apart from Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Where To wrote: »

550 points.

Could do the job I'm doing now if I had 0 points.

I got similar points, but the course I ended up doing needed around 270 points!

I got similar points, but the course I ended up doing needed around 270 points!

In a fair world you would have graduated in half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

kincsem wrote: »
    1968 :o

1975 :)

2 honours. Was all you needed to go to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Today! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sandy Rhodes

About 3 fiddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Why do people say all honours rather than their points? Never understood this... You can do all honours subjects but get D's but I'd rate an A at ordinary level above this! For the record I did "all honours" in 2007 and got 545 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

1997. 5 honours, 2 passes. A D2 in pass maths and it was a miracle that I even got that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I remember in the Irish oral exam, being asked a question and not knowing what the hell she was asking. So just stare at her baps and say "is maith liom" (pick various verbs from the question and elaborate wildly) ending in "dul go dti an leithreas"
    Must have seemed like a right amadan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

1996 - 7 honours - 4 higher level, 3 pass level

Wish I could go back and re-do my CEO choices though. Picked a ****e IT diploma course that only needed under half the points I had. Finished the course but don't even work in IT now...Is it too late to go back to 3rd level education I wonder..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

2007 - did kinda crap. Did pass French, Irish and Maths.

2008 - did better and got the course I wanted. Dropped Maths and did honours French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

2011 (20 now)

All ordinary, and foundation maths. 230 points

mostly got A1's A2's and B's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

did it in 2000 and got two honours, the honour of doing it, and the honour of failing it

no, got a D3 in higher maths, failed higher geography, but got an A1 in higher tech. drawing, so i was happy with that

edit. dont know about anyone else, but i thought an honour was an A, B or C at higher level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

5A1s, in Maths, Chemistry, Applied Maths, History and Accounting.
    B2 in German, B3s in Irish and English. 580 points.
    That was in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

1998 - 2 As, 4 Bs and a C.

The C was in Irish and I went to a Gaelscoil. Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sorry for derailing the thread but I did my leaving certificate in 1989 with the old fashioned points system. None of this A1, A2, A3 crap. It was either an A, B, C, D.

How does this score nowadays under the new points system?

Do they give you an A1 score if you got an A or what's the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

510 points, which was way more than I needed. I'm still disappointed with how I did in maths and chemistry though... I was always top of the class for those but just crumbled under the pressure in the exams.

I really think there should be a LOT more emphasis on continuous assessment for everything. Don't know if there has been any change in recent years, but 'back in my day' I think it was just art and home ec that had some projects before the exams that counted towards your final marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

And I'm not even going to say what I got reading everyone elses results :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I showed up and somehow, by the will of the gods, suppressed the apathy enough to not fail the bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

1996 - 7 honours - 4 higher level, 3 pass level

Wish I could go back and re-do my CEO choices though. Picked a ****e IT diploma course that only needed under half the points I had. Finished the course but don't even work in IT now...Is it too late to go back to 3rd level education I wonder..??[/Quote

It's never too late :)
    I did mine in 03 after taking 2 years off after the jc to "find myself". All was going well until something really ****ty happened and I was out of school for 2 months beforehand.
    Can't remember exactly the points I got but I did very well considering.

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Why do people say all honours rather than their points? Never understood this... You can do all honours subjects but get D's but I'd rate an A at ordinary level above this! For the record I did "all honours" in 2007 and got 545 points.
    because people were posting they got honours grades, so i got those grades in honours subjects. => All honours
    I dont care about being more specific, it's not a competition and i dont care what you rate more highly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

2001 5 honours and 2 pass I think. After 9 years of college I can't really remember

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

1989 Six Bs in higher level, 2 Bs lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Got 405 points with an honour in French and Geo.
    Ordinary level Maths and Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Last year, i got 465 which is over what the course i wanted needed so i was happy :)

I can't actually remember my points, 400 out of the A's at honours but no idea what the other ones were worth. Nearly 13 years ago, the memory gets a little hazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Ten years ago now, I think there was some football thing on at the time.....

Got 470 points, two As, two Bs and two Cs (ALL HONOURS), only needed 350 or thereabouts so I was happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

bluewolf wrote: »
    because people were posting they got honours grades, so i got those grades in honours subjects. => All honours
    I dont care about being more specific, it's not a competition and i dont care what you rate more highly...

I meant it as a genuine question. Not as some competition about points. How I see it is that someone who worked their ass off to do well at ordinary level deserves just as much credit (if not more, imo!) than someone who scraps a pass at higher level by doing just enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah the whole "I got an honour grade" thing when they dont state what exact level (ordinary or higher) confuses me too. Seems a bit silly to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

2006. 540 points.

All As except that shameful shameful C1 in maths :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

LC 2001

480 points

Biology H A1
    English H B2
    Geography H B2
    Maths H B3
    Art H B3
    French H C1
    Irish O D2 :o

Can't believe I can actually remember my grades! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

2007, 570 points. Was delighted at the time but looking back now I probably could have done better, considering studying was the only thing I was ever good at and my lack of hobbies, talent or friends meant I had much more time to waste studying than other more socially-adjusted teenagers.

Still, Leaving Cert was the last time I actually succeeded anyway academically; the biggest lesson 4 years in college taught me was that I'm actually quite a bit of an idiot. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I feel decidedly average now after reading how some people did - I got 410 points, all the way back in 1996. Thankfully internet access was nearly unheard of then or I would have done worse. Got the course I wanted though (I should say "the course I thought I wanted").

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

2003 A in history was my best:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Sat six honours subjects - two As [English+History], one B [Economics], one C [Accounting], two Ds [Maths+Physics]
    Two pass subjects - one C [French] and one D [Irish]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Not sure if the leaving cert is the equivalent of the GCSE's or A levels in the north?

Anyways, did 9 x GCSES in 1994, passed all but one with grade C's and above. (got 4 A's actually in a few)

Then 3 x A levels in 1996, History, grade B, English, Grade B, maths, grade.C

Went to uni after that for three years, left with nothing except a great ability to hold beer and talk crap :mad:

Learnt a lot about student girls from the country though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

2003, got 410 pts did all higher level, but struggled with a few!
    English was my best subject, but man was my hand tired after 7 hrs of writing that first day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Got 21 old UCD points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

3 years ago, all honours w/ 510 points.
    A1 in Bio and A2 in Geography and (somehow) English.

Went into a course where I needed ~ 360 points fwir.

• Advertisement
Advertisement