Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you do the Leaving Cert and how did you do in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

2002, same time as the World Cup.

Had Geography and Business the same day as the Irl V Spain match. Couldn't get out of the exam hall quick enough.

Pulled 2 all nighters and survived on lucozade for the week. I was always a crammer. Thankfully I was also a bit of a nerd, did pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Why do people say all honours rather than their points? Never understood this... You can do all honours subjects but get D's but I'd rate an A at ordinary level above this! For the record I did "all honours" in 2007 and got 545 points.

The points system has changed over the years. I did my Leaving in 1990. There was no A1, B1, B2 system then, so you can't compare like with like. Also, a few friends of mine, a couple of years older, had a different system too. One of the lads I know was delighted to get 18.5 points! (But that wasn't great.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

2008- the year they switched loads of subjects round that used to be at the end to the first few days. I sat 11 out of the first 13 exam sessions.
    Got 7 honours & 1 pass (maths, though I hear theres bonus points these days for doing honours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

beks101 wrote: »
    Had Geography and Business the same day as the Irl V Spain match. Couldn't get out of the exam hall quick enough

Wasn't that match on a Sunday? I definitely remember having a hangover that day, and Saturday was always my drunk night back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

2005, 530pts :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

2002, did 8 subjects (5 HL + 3 OL) and got 355 points.

Repeated in 2003. Did 6 HL subjects and got 450 points.

2010, went back and did HL Irish and got a C3 in it after a B in OL the 1st time in 2002.

I ended up doing 10 different subjects in the leaving between all the times I sat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

And I'm not even going to say what I got reading everyone elses results :(
    You've absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Your leaving cert can be used in the points system if you intend to use them when trying to gain a college place under the age of 21. After that you may apply as a mature student, where the points system can be disregarded if you can present a genuine interest or job related history for the course you wish to apply for.

Never, ever, put yourself down. There are opportunities for everyone, it just takes positivity and determination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

missbelle wrote: »
    2003, got 410 pts did all higher level, but struggled with a few!
    English was my best subject, but man was my hand tired after 7 hrs of writing that first day!!

I actually got paper burn on the side of my hand from writing so much on that first day!! I think they have English spread over 2 separate days now though? Rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

1980....I was very disappointed that I only got a D in maths then I realized that loads of girls in my class had failed maths and began to feel better about my D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Did mine in 2007, got 395 points. My lowest grade was a C3 in English, which was very annoying because I'd gotten As in it all through 5th and 6th year. Have a degree in it now though :pac: Got B1s in Home Ec and Biology, which was pleasantly surprising. And an A in (pass) French :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Abi wrote: »
    under the age of 21.

Its 23 now. The college and CAO system is a bit of a joke in this country imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I got 545 points back in 2009, only two girls did honours maths in my school and we both got an A2 :).

Did 6 honour subjects and pass irish (dam you irish!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

1992 and Art college bound.
    Only needed passes in English, Maths and honours Art. So stress-free mainly. As I recall something between 380-400 in the end.

The portfolio was the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

1999 550pts all honours subjects. The A1 in Maths eluded me and my teacher wasn't very impressed but I wasn't too upset - back then I could have done any course I wanted outside of veterinary medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

2003- 405 points
    I definately could have done better but I just had a nervous breakdown in the middle of the exams and refused to acknowledge the leaving cert was happening. I decided after about 4 exams that I was repeating anyway so what's the point in putting effort in.
    Most proud of my A1 in English and my B1 in Art :D

2004- 425 points
    Most pointless waste of time repeating the leaving cert for me, as I decided around Christmas that I wanted to do the course I had gotten a place on with my first leaving cert anyway, so I just gave up again since it didn't matter :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I got 325 points in 2009. Miles off the points I needed for my course (biotechnology in DCU). I got no offers the following Monday from the CAO..

If there's any LC students reading this, there's a way around everything!. One year PLC allowed me to do my course and now I am loving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

560 back in the mid 90s.
    Worth about 1200 of today's points.

/controversial. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

2004, got within the usual point range for most people. Got more points than required for the course I went into.

Passed all my subjects mixture of Honours and Pass. Got an A in Honours Geography, my best subject. Lowest was in French but that was expected other than Irish anyway passed them fairly well, as well I'd have imagined I do though was expecting to get maybe one grade up in most subjects. Though overall did better in the Leaving than in the Mocks.

Did very well in my Maths as it hasn't always been my best subject but got grinds in it so that helped, didn't expect to do better in Maths than my English usually do better in English than Maths. I suppose it all depended on the papers and how much preparation I put in. Overall I did very well in my subjects, happy enough with the results, couldn't have done any better, I could have but I probably would have faced burn out if I did.

It was probably the best I had ever done overall really. I got more points than I expected to get. Was aiming to get within the range I wanted but got more than expected but at a reasonable and realistic scale for me if any higher I don't think I could have achieved that high unless I burnt out! I was wrecked from it as it was back then!

Got an A, Three B's. Three C's and Merit in LCVP. Happy out! :)

(Similar results for my Junior Cert which was a bit uncanny!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

cocoshovel wrote: »

It really is, the points for each course don't reflect its difficulty, only the demand. People don't realise how much work Arts (for example) is, as the points are relatively low due to the high number of places.

I did my Leaving Cert in 2010, 570 points with all honours subjects except maths. Those pesky formulae :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

2009. I only got 470.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

EmilyO wrote: »
    People don't realise how much work Arts is, as the points are relatively low due to the high number of places.

From watching friends doing arts I never realised it was hard :p Only joking, you're right I remember looking at the points for courses that sounded really difficult but had very low points.

I did the LC in 2006 and got 530.
    Didn't count maths as I did pass. I later met my previous Irish teacher (who had told me I wouldn't 'be able' for *junior cert* honours Irish when I was in first year, so I quite happily told them I got an A1 in LC Honours Irish :D pretty much all thanks to a different, amazing teacher)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Zero points. Skipped it and joined the army in '77.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I feel decidedly average now after reading how some people did - I got 410 points, all the way back in 1996. Thankfully internet access was nearly unheard of then or I would have done worse. Got the course I wanted though (I should say "the course I thought I wanted").

See, I don't get this thing of people suspecting they would do worse now, given the existence of the Internet. Sure, it's a huge distraction, but there were always distractions. (Way back in the early 1990s we had television. And music. And hormones. True story.) But the distraction potential of the Internet is surely vastly outweighed by its truly staggering capacity as a source of information. I did the LC in 1992 and recall that my one and only source for my special topic project for the history exam was the local, really crap, public library. That was it. Nothing else. Plus, we had no access to marking schemes then, or any of that carry-on. Rummaging in the dark, we were.

BTW, Benny, 410 is an excellent score in any year. Given the ongoing evidence of significant grade inflation, I reckon anybody who did the LC befroe 2000 should really be applying a premium of at least 20% to get a realistic comparison with scores from last year, say. There's no way the youngsters are cleverer than wot we were :D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

1996 - 8 subjects - and I got enough points for any course that year (short of having to present an art portfolio or the like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

2006!,505 points,did Arts:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

625, obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

590. Did it in 2000. Gutted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I got 580 in 2006. I was blazed for the whole 2 weeks of the exams and on E half the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why do people say all honours rather than their points? Never understood this... You can do all honours subjects but get D's but I'd rate an A at ordinary level above this! For the record I did "all honours" in 2007 and got 545 points.

They didn't have the points system when some of these old fogies did it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Got 4 A's and 2 B's. Was scorned by fellow students and teachers alike for not applying to Uni, choosing instead to go and find a job. Of the few classmates that are still left in Ireland now, I'm earning the highest wage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Did mine in 2005. Feels like ages ago now! Did well enough - all As and Bs at Honours, once I had enough points for the course I wanted I was happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Last year, 500 points. I was happy with the A1 in Biology anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

2006 - 455 points. I did Ordinary level Maths and Physics and got A2's in both. Then mostly B's and a C1 in French and Irish (which was my 'scary' subject.) I never really stressed out too much about the Leaving as I would do my work throughout the year so when the time came I never really had to go mad with study or cramming. The course I wanted to do didn't need many points so I didn't push myself too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

2007 and got 420.

Thankfully, it was enough for what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

woodchuck wrote: »
    missbelle wrote: »
    2003, got 410 pts did all higher level, but struggled with a few!
    English was my best subject, but man was my hand tired after 7 hrs of writing that first day!!

I actually got paper burn on the side of my hand from writing so much on that first day!! I think they have English spread over 2 separate days now though? Rightly so!

About time eh? Was a bit mad having both English papers on day 1, then maths, Irish and I think French in the following few days...adrenaline must have gotten me through :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

435 in 2002

Honours
    A2 Geography
    B2 Business Studies
    B3 English
    C2 Maths
    C2 German
    C3 Physics

Lower
    Irish D1:o:o:o

So many though seemed to be 500+:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

cocoshovel wrote: »
    under the age of 21.

New information to me, but sad information to matures now. Thanks for that though.

When I left school I got job training and work straight way, and it built with each job. It's only when I considered a career change I discovered the mature student thing. I can't believe the age had been increased, but I do stand by the previous advice. Upskilling and further education can only stand in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

6A1s and a B1. Damn History!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I did all honours subjects and got 505 points in 2009. One A1 in Ag. Science and A2 in Gaeilge. Heap of Bs and a damn C1 in German. God I hated German.

If I had done pass Maths or something I could've gotten higher points by spending the extra time focusing on my other six subjects. However I stuck with seven honours subjects instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

loser. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

How embarrassing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

1989, all "higher" level subjects (have they stopped trying to stop the honours/pass comments in school). 1 A (maths),4 Bs (French, chemistry, physics, accounting), 2 Cs (Irish and English). Thinking about progressing to taking a degree now (23 years later) having "retired". My lack of a degree has always bemused my colleagues (accounting firms, banks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Did mine 2nd time in 2006.

I think it was something like As in Biology, Maths and Applied Maths, B in Physics, C in chemistry, B in Geography and a D in Business (it was my 7th subject so I didn't bother studying it as it came to the exam).

I think I got a C in English when I first did my LC. Although I never bothered studying Hamlet and knew just like 2 quotes from the whole play to shove them in somewhere in my essay. I was a real slacker during my first LC which is sorta why I had to do it again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

1995, i cant remember what i got, a few honours here and there. Went back to college a few years ago to do something i really love and im about to go into 4th year horticulture. Best decision of my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Was anyone else blazed doing their leaving cert, or on E half the time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

2004 -505 Points (All Higher Level)

Maths A2
    Physics A2
    Economics B1
    Irish B1
    Business B2
    Geography B3
    English B3
    French C3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Was anyone else blazed doing their leaving cert, or on E half the time?

I was pretty stoned for most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Did it in 2006, got 495 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

485 in 2010

100 more points than I needed for my course Whoop Whoop :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

And I'm not even going to say what I got reading everyone elses results :(
    You've absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Your leaving cert can be used in the points system if you intend to use them when trying to gain a college place under the age of 21. After that you may apply as a mature student, where the points system can be disregarded if you can present a genuine interest or job related history for the course you wish to apply for.

Never, ever, put yourself down. There are opportunities for everyone, it just takes positivity and determination.

Ah thanks Abi.

I had a lot going on the year I done my leaving so the interest just wasn't there. I didn't care less.

But roll on 16 years later and I've just completed an Access course. Patiently waiting results now and hopefully an offer come August!

Being a single parent the full time study will be tough going but I have goals in mind and the determination to succeed, fingers crossed I can do it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement