Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you do the Leaving Cert and how did you do in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

1996. Passed. Havent been asked for results in about 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Currently doing it. Pain in the hole so it is. -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

2009. Can't remember most of the grades but I did higher level everything except Maths and got 420. I should have done better but I was a lazy bastard who did no work until about 3 weeks before it started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

baz2009 wrote: »
    Currently doing it. Pain in the hole so it is. -_-

best of luck for rest of it baz.

hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Last year, did all honours, 550 points, and got my course by 5,
    2 A1s, English and Chemistry
    2 A2s, Biology and Irish
    2 B1s, DCG and Maths
    B2 French.
    I feel like I could have gotten higher, never really killed myself with study though so I can't complain now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

did 3 pass subjects (dropped to pass french 4 days before LC) and 4 honour subjects.

didn't fail anything, and got enough points to go to college. thats all i wanted. even got an extra 20 points, so was quite proud :)

Still remember art history essays ...

1) Newgrange, always a winner
    2) Botticelli (was a compare this painting with another by the same artist type thing. had looked him up the night before. pure luck on that)
    3) and Tony O Malley (given he had died that year, and RTE had done a program on him, i felt i was in with a chance with him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I did it twice in 2009 and 2010.

In 2009 I got 380 points.I did higher level english,Irish,french,history,chemistry and biology and pass maths.I got an A1 in english and was delighted.Unfortunately I failed chemistry,it broke my heart.I'd spent the past two years doing grinds and revision courses for it and it just never clicked for me.I got into science in dit which was in my level 6's on my cao but I didn't take it.

In 2010 I went back to a local lads school and repeated as the only girl in a normal sixth year class of boys.Thankfully I did better that time.I got 410 and got into film and broadcasting in DIT.I dropped chemistry in favour of geography and despite doing the higher level course in a year I managed to get a B in it.And I still got another A1 in english.It was a horrible stressful year and at the start I'd to put up with a load of crap off the lads but by the end I'd fitted in and was delighted I'd chosen to repeat and hadn't taken science which I'd have definitely dropped out of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

1992 - hard to believe it was 20 years ago!:eek:

One A, three Bs and three Cs. Five honours and two pass subjects (pass Irish and maths).
    Just enough points to get the course I wanted in college. Seems so insignificant now looking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

1993 - 2 As (History and English) 2 Bs (Social and Scientific and French) 1 C (Art) and I failed maths. Was exempt from Irish.

Can't remember how many points I got, but I had no real intention of going to college anyway. I planned to travel around Europe as an au pair, but ended up getting pregnant instead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Four A' levels: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. I can't for the life of me remember my exact grades but I was a crap student. I am sure I didn't fail though as I got my first choice for my undergrad at uni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I did it in 1992.
    Got one honour in history higher level

20 years ago, same as myself!

5 Honors and 2 passes. Scraped a pass in Ordinary Level Irish and an A1 in Maths.

B1 in Honors History was my achievement! Damn difficult subject that!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Not as well as I could have. Just enough to get my course as I realised the leaving cert wasnt that important went to college got a 1.1. honours degree and now work in job that I went to college for. I deal with peoples lives and money and the leaving cert wouldnt teach you or prepare you what so ever for the job. Time to start telling the kids that it isnt that important and take some pressure off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

510 in 2003.
    All hons with As and Bs except a C in Maths which I worked my ass off for and a D in Applied Maths.
    Have somehow ended up doing a Maths PhD.
    Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

430 point in 2005 but I know people with less points that own their own companies now. Fair play to them.
    Leaving cert is important but too much pressure for a young person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

did my lc in 2000 and got 440 i think. ive never actually needed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

2004 - 310pts

Got a ****e course which I didn't want but took cos I thought the mother would kill me. Dropped out after 3 months

2006 - 375pts

Got the course I thought I wanted but dropped out in the 2nd year of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

2008 - 335 points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Has anyone here heard of someone in their 30s going to a private school for a year and repeating? Or public school for that matter?

Do any public/private schools let older people in?

Or has anyone heard of someone older studying on their own for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You wouldn't attend a public school at that age

However your local VEC still runs courses for the LC at night and it's easy to sign up

For workers and for people who left school early but now want to get it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ah thanks Abi.

I had a lot going on the year I done my leaving so the interest just wasn't there. I didn't care less.

But roll on 16 years later and I've just completed an Access course. Patiently waiting results now and hopefully an offer come August!

Being a single parent the full time study will be tough going but I have goals in mind and the determination to succeed, fingers crossed I can do it :D
    Of course you can! :)

Congrats on getting this far, and hopefully you'll get the course you want, fair play hon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did it in 2004.

Dont remember how i did, all i know is i got into college :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Did it in 1997, 3 hon, 3 pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

2009 The summer of EnglishPaper2gate
    ****ing love that happen I had it studied the night before and it gave me the whole day to study for HL maths and Geography which I was hoping to my points in
    535 in the end
    (Last year before they maths dumbed down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭blackwhite

2002 - 565 points.
    B in Irish, C in English and A's in the rest - all higher level.

Just a point on the honours/pass grades that people seem to be a bit confused about:

An A, B or C on the Higher Level paper is an Honours grade.
    D on a Higher Level paper, or a A, B, C or D on the Ordinary Level paper is a Pass grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

2003 - 270 points

My interest had been zapped away by the time the LC came round. Only goal was to get a certain minimum score and not fail which went according to plan.

Got to college, got the degrees and subsequent certs afterwards and now I run an IT store. :)

The Leaving Cert can suck my balls.

Half of my friends who never went to college or did LCA are doing so now as mature students. They were always under the impression that you needed to be of a certain "smartness" to be able to go to college. Now, they're flying through their courses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

460 in 2009 (I joined boards to find out what had been on other people's mock papers :D ).

I was happy enough at the time as it got me the course I wanted (Arts in UCD) but looking back I'm slightly disappointed. I was pretty half-assed about the leaving, and I'm curious to know how I could have done if I'd cared. Ultimately though, it really didn't matter at all.

I did 6 honours (got 2 As, a B, 2 Cs and a D) and pass maths because I dropped down on the day (A)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

I did mine back in 2000, got 450 points on all honours subjects except Maths (B1)
    I was pretty happy as I did only what many do and tried to cram the night before/ morning of the exam in question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

2004 - Got 295.

Contemplated repeating the year as I was only 16 and couldn't care less doing it and thought 295 was too low, but I got my course and got a 1.1 and an award in that so fuck that noise Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Did it in '94.

Honours:

Maths C3
    English C1
    French B3
    Bus Studies C1
    History B1
    Geog A1

Lower level:

Irish B3

That meant 465 UCD points which got me into my first choice Commerce. Wish I'd done something else!!

Still very annoyed with that Maths result. B1tch of a teacher!!

Best of luck to anoyone doing it - as anyone who has done it will say, it's not the be all and end all it might seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

English Higher - E
    Irish Ordinary- C
    Maths Ordinary- C
    Geography Higher - B
    Phys/Chem Ordinary - C
    Business Org Higher - E
    Tech Drawing Ordinary - C

English Ordinary - D

After failing english at higher level in 1988 i done the exam again the following year without being at school or ever looking at a book of any sort and managed a D which i was delighted with as to be honest both the papers i done were pure and utter shíte, i made up stuff about the poetry and whatever the novel was as i hadnt read it or looked at any poetry at all. I did borrow a set of cliff notes for the play but couldnt be bothered ever reading them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Funny story actually, from my LC. After the French exam I was chatting to some friends about the exam and our form tutor came over and asked us how it went. We chatted away for a while and eventually we started moving on, either to the library or home to study. Just as I was walking away he called back. He sat next to me on the bench and asked me if I was on drugs. I knew he wasn't going to officially reprimand me at this stage so I told him the truth: yes I am high.

Instead of getting angry he looked genuinely saddened, and he turned to me and said "you will never amount to anything, mark my words, you'll destroy yourself."

When the cert results came out he sent me a long letter apologising for what he had said and congratulating me on my results, which were in the top 5 or 6 in my year. He said he always believed in me and that he only said it to frighten me straight.

And here I am now: alcoholic, heroin addict and college drop out. Maybe I should send him a letter to apologise for my own lies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

2009. 520 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Jester252 wrote: »
    2009 The summer of EnglishPaper2gate
    ****ing love that happen I had it studied the night before and it gave me the whole day to study for HL maths and Geography which I was hoping to my points in
    535 in the end
    (Last year before they maths dumbed down)

2011 was the worst paper ever? Dumbed down my bolox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Did 3 honours subjects, got 285 points. Did a PLC course after that and managed to get into a course in college which has a minimum requirement of 440 points. Basically, if you mess up your leaving cert like I did and get a lot less than your predicted grades it's not a big deal, there's always ways around it if you want to do a course badly enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

1990, 6 honours, 1 pass, as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

Did it in 2005 and got 450 points.

Was bitterly disappointed because I'd been aiming for around 500, which is what I'd got in my Mocks or thereabouts but come the big day chemistry and classical studies, normally my best subjects (along with biology which I did get an A2 in), went disastrously! It was compounded by the general expectation from friends and family that I'd be looking at 500+ and although they were all thrilled anyway I felt I owed them more.

Then pretty quickly I realised the LC is only really important at the time you do it and that 450 is still a pretty decent result. I had enough points, just, to do the course I wanted in college and more or less, with a few hiccups and delays, have gotten where I wanted to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

And here I am now: alcoholic, heroin addict and college drop out. Maybe I should send him a letter to apologise for my own lies!

Really or are you being sarcastic???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

1997 (I feel old). 520 points - Insisted on doing 8 honours subjects, despite knowing Irish would never count towards the points. Stubborn.

Despite it being a good score, I was very disappointed with my English (B3) result after years of getting As elsewhere. Ditto for physics (B2 or B1 - can't recall). Put a dampener on the whole thing, somewhat lifted by an excellent result in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Funny story actually, from my LC. After the French exam I was chatting to some friends about the exam and our form tutor came over and asked us how it went. We chatted away for a while and eventually we started moving on, either to the library or home to study. Just as I was walking away he called back. He sat next to me on the bench and asked me if I was on drugs. I knew he wasn't going to officially reprimand me at this stage so I told him the truth: yes I am high.

Instead of getting angry he looked genuinely saddened, and he turned to me and said "you will never amount to anything, mark my words, you'll destroy yourself."

When the cert results came out he sent me a long letter apologising for what he had said and congratulating me on my results, which were in the top 5 or 6 in my year. He said he always believed in me and that he only said it to frighten me straight.

If you're serious, then this is the saddest story I've read in a while. I hope things turn around for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

2008-450 ponts

I did all honours, I would have got more if I hadnt wasted my time on applied maths. I messed up my irish oral completely, prods should be exempt in my opinion:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Did it in 2003. Got 450 points from 6 higher level and 2 ordinary level subjects.

Didn't do to bad out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Why do people say all honours rather than their points? Never understood this... You can do all honours subjects but get D's but I'd rate an A at ordinary level above this! For the record I did "all honours" in 2007 and got 545 points.

Cause there's actually no such thing as 'honours level'. There's only higher level and ordinary level (/foundation). A lot of people just call higher level 'honours level' cause it's the only level capable of getting an honours grade i.e. C3 or above, but that's actually the wrong name.. So if someone says they got all honours, chances are they mean all their grades were C3 or above & at higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

kraggy wrote: »
    Has anyone here heard of someone in their 30s going to a private school for a year and repeating? Or public school for that matter?

Do any public/private schools let older people in?

Or has anyone heard of someone older studying on their own for it?

Sort of. I'm doing my Leaving Cert this year and the day my French oral was on, some guy who looked to be in his 40s was also doing the French oral exam. He wasn't in our classes for the year or anything but he must've been doing stuff with it himself. So I guess it is possible yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

2010, 450 points, all honours apart from Maths :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Cause there's actually no such thing as 'honours level'. There's only higher level and ordinary level (/foundation). A lot of people just call higher level 'honours level' cause it's the only level capable of getting an honours grade i.e. C3 or above, but that's actually the wrong name.. So if someone says they got all honours, chances are they mean all their grades were C3 or above & at higher level.

Really :confused: I'm full sure it was called honours and pass in my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Got 4 A's and 2 B's. Was scorned by fellow students and teachers alike for not applying to Uni, choosing instead to go and find a job. Of the few classmates that are still left in Ireland now, I'm earning the highest wage....

What are they binmen? :P

Did it in 2010 and got 510 points, all higher level subjects..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

1966 ........ 3 Hons, 7 Passes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

2010: 530 points. It really is nowhere near as important as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

How has nobody got less then 450 points? Sure we must be a nation of geniuses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How has nobody got less then 450 points? Sure we must be a nation of geniuses!

I did.

I should have listened to all those people that said it was the most important exam of my life.

quarter of a century on I'm 43 on the dole living at home with my mother and have a marijuana addiction and do deliveries for the local pizza joint part time.

So to any kid reading this now that has their leaving cert tomorrow, get studying and some sleep. Fail this and you have no future!!!! I repeat fail and no future. Ok now I've said that - No Pressure -

Advertisement