Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MASS SPEC - MASS APPEARS TWICE IN SAME SPECTRUM

Options
  • 06-06-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Just made a product as part of a Research project, and after running through LC-MS, the parent ion mass has appeared twice. I personally have never seen this happen before, so have you any ideas? A dimer issue has been suggested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Actually, I have seen this. Before I did my PhD in cancer, I worked a few months at the Dept. of Chemistry at the Uni of York and was doing MS routinely. I saw - numerous times - ion masses that were multiple-times the parent (i.e. some even more than double). I was however working with sugar molecules (hexa- and penta-saccharides).

Which molecules are you working with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Are they same using TOF? Are they same using high mass accuracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It sounds like something extremely hydrophobic is lodged on your column, for example detergent. This will make your column a non homogeneous surface and will cause the double banding you have described. If you or anyone else are running samples always spin filter to remove detergent. Give the column a complete flush through for several hours but depending on the detergent the column may need to be replace. They are notoriously difficult to remove once they stick onto a column.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It sounds like something extremely hydrophobic is lodged on your column, for example detergent. This will make your column a non homogeneous surface and will cause the double banding you have described. If you or anyone else are running samples always spin filter to remove detergent. Give the column a complete flush through for several hours but depending on the detergent the column may need to be replace. They are notoriously difficult to remove once they stick onto a column.

If you have detergents, you would probably see it in the spectra though?

I can only speak from biological sample analysis, but the more common detergents (or detergent products) have common diagnostic ions.

Advertisement