Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I fail Leaving Cert already?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Did I fail Leaving Cert if I failed English Paper 1?
    Or are both papers added to give one grade and if I do good tomorrow it's not all lost yet?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Option 2 is correct. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Let me put it this way, don't worry, as long as you answer all the questions you cannot possibly fail.

p.s. Yes it's an overall grade so don,t lose hope now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paulinap

are you completely sure?
    i couldn't find any information anywhere

ok, thanks both of you.
    feel much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes, you will get an overall grade for English. Both papers are added together. Once you made a half-decent attempt at answering each question it is unlikely you failed paper 1. And even if you did, there is still paper 2 to go and bump up your grade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

The same's true with Maths - if you fail Paper 1 you'll still have a chance to pass the exam by doing well in Paper 2, which is easier. They're both worth 50%. I kind of wish there were two Geography papers for that reason.

I totally screwed my composition.
    Show me another person who wrote only 2 pages.
    So i'm pretty sure i'm not getting more than 20% for paper 1

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Post mortems are the bane of every student. Move on and focus on the next exam. You can change the future, you can't do anything about the past. Cliche but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

paulinap wrote: »
    I totally screwed my composition.
    Show me another person who wrote only 2 pages.
    So i'm pretty sure i'm not getting more than 20% for paper 1
    The composition is worth 50% of the marks on paper one, so 25% of the overall result for English. Not vital for a pass in the slightest.

You hear of people writing 10 page essays when in reality they fit 4 words a line and only do as well as someone who wrote 3-4. So don't sweat it, two pages isn't very far off the mark.

Another point: it would be totally illogical if someone who is barely literate rushed to get as much written as possible, while his friend "Shakespeare the second" struggled with time management and scored less. It's an English exam, not a time management exam, therefore quality is the most important thing!!! You'll do fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

you don't fail the whole leaving cert if you fail English btw

• Advertisement

where did you get that?
    if you fail english/maths/irish you fail leaving cert, thats what i've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fairly comprehensively answered at this stage I think! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement