Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail headline sneers at Dublin hosting Olympic Flame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

What is it doing in Ireland then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

they have a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

It's the London Olympics not the UK Olympics so it would be odd if they just went to NI and ignored the rest of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Aaa come on... Its The Mail for crying out loud!
    What can anyone expect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

MarkK wrote: »
    "... what is it doing in IRELAND?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155401/If-irritated-carried-torch-look-away-Z-listers-Jedward-run-Olympic-flame--doing-IRELAND.html

I wonder will the headline make it into tomorrows Irish edition :rolleyes:

That shit "paper" has always been a two faced rag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wouldn't wipe my arse with the daily mail for fear of offending my ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The Olympics is awarded to a city, not a country or State. So the flame can go wherever it wishes from that city, I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm glad it came to Ireland and I have nothing against Jedward, but it did cheapen it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's heading to Scotland tomorrow, the DM hates the Scots more then it hates us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Why put the legendary Paul McGrath with those two gobsh*tes jedward - they would turn anyone to the drink!

Edit: I am not joking about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People keep confusing the olympics with something that's actually important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

wprathead wrote: »
    they have a point
    Doesnt matter a whit what the daily mail says. Most people who buy it, can't read! The remainder are too dumb to understand even if they could read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

What is it doing in Ireland then?
    Same as it was doing in Wales, which isn't on the route from Olympia to London last time I looked.

I'm glad it came to Ireland and I have nothing against Jedward, but it did cheapen it a bit.

...But this is the Mail that one week is singing the praises of Jedward - and later is doing the opposite.

One seriously has to take this paper cautiously to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What the hell is the daily mail doing in ireland? I've a bigger problem with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The Daily Mail is just pissed off that Jedward beat ingleburt humperdick in the Eurovision. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

only thing that bothers me about that article is they ask a question and then answer it in the very next line

that's ****ing stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What the hell have Jedward got to do with sports? Was MDB given an opportunity to carry the torch since she won gold medals for this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What is this former Nazi symbol doing here anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

only thing that bothers me about that article is they ask a question and then answer it in the very next line

that's ****ing stupid

Was just about to post this.

Rag of a paper, wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

karma_ wrote: »
    Was just about to post this.

Rag of a paper, wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

Well you could, and then send it back to them.
    Now, that'd be karma. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Was MDB given an opportunity to carry the torch since she won gold medals for this country?

I believe she was supplying whiskey to Jedward. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

What the hell have Jedward got to do with sports? Was MDB given an opportunity to carry the torch since she won gold medals for this country?

They were afraid her urine sample would have burst into flames being so close to the torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Biggins wrote: »
    ...But this is the Mail that one week is singing the praises of Jedward - and later is doing the opposite.

One seriously has to take this paper cautiously to say the least.

Cautiously!!!.........I think the word your looking for is Contempt! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Why are people surprised by anything that the DM says, it is the ultimate rag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

MarkK wrote: »
    "... what is it doing in IRELAND?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155401/If-irritated-carried-torch-look-away-Z-listers-Jedward-run-Olympic-flame--doing-IRELAND.html

I wonder will the headline make it into tomorrows Irish edition :rolleyes:

It begs the question, what were you doing reading that shíte in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

"It was awesome because, like, they're Jedward".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Do people not realise that this is exactly the reaction that The Mail wants?

Say what you like about it but as self publicity goes The Daily Mail wins every time.

I can understand why some english paper is peed off about Jedward to be honest!

These "Z-listers" as the paper calls them, has beaten the English entry in the Eurovision two years in a row now.

...And they are the Z-listers - not even the best in Ireland? :D

I guess that must be really peeing them off then! LOL

Where To wrote: »
    Do people not realise that this is exactly the reaction that The Mail wants?
    Say what you like about it but as self publicity goes The Daily Mail wins every time.

A bit like the head of Ryanair! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What's wrong with sneering at Dublin? :P

What the hell have Jedward got to do with sports?
    They gave England a run for their money twice in a singing contest and beat them?

..Besides, one can say the same thing about "Doctor Who" (LINK - Ooo, by the same paper! LOL)

Ya gotta love The Mail!

(Well not really!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bloody rag. I do love reading the comments section though, and thankfully the majority on this story are criticising the stupidity of the DM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Jedward say '''Thank you, guys, so much for all coming out and being so Jepic and so Jedicated to the Olympics.
    Last year we had Barack Obama and this year we have the Olympic Torch.'''

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
    . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

DarkJager wrote: »
    I wouldn't wipe my arse with the daily mail for fear of offending my ****.

besides its counter productive wiping with something that full off sh1te !!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

'I didn't know it would be a big thing with a fire on top, I thought it was a torch you would shine stuff on.'

What do they teach kids in school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What's the Daily Mail doing in Ireland?

Aholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Daily Mail wrote:
    Immigrant bastards! Kill them all!

What an appalling rag read by the interminably small-minded who labour under the misbelief that they're upstanding, intelligent and middle class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The local coffee shop were I have my break usually stocks the daily mail and the sindo. When Im finished reading the times and anything else (even hello once!) Ill read the sindo or the mail. Both of them read exaclty like political publications rather than an newspapers. I know that most if not all publications have some sort of bias but everything from those rags promotes an agenda from the letters page to the film reviews!

The last few times I read the sindo every second letter that was published was lamenting the fact that Ireland wasnt part of britian. Contrast that we something like the Irish times which included letters from royalists, republicans and those inbetween.

Regarding this latest hateful dribble its not surprising but its frankly one of the many attempts to disregard the progress the peace process has made between our two countries.

What an appalling rag read by the interminably small-minded who labour under the misbelief that they're upstanding, intelligent and middle class.

RTE top-paid presenters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why people in this country buy that toilet paper is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

it may be fun to read newspapers.......but to believe them....well??????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Loads of people on Boards were doing the same thing ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Do what I do dont buy the rag.Read it once few years ago and realised it was ****.Seems its still that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah the Daily Mail - the British newspaper that supported Hitler. It's like the diet BNP newsletter.

LOL

I read The Times (England) this evening...
    Jedward, the twin Irish singers, today became the only torchbearers to actually resemble the Olympic flame.

See: http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/226/107692603torchjed302460.jpg

You just got to laugh!
    ...Well they are - they are now multi-millionaires.
    They must be doing something right that some of us is doing wrong!

It seems begrudgery is still around in Ireland, if not just in The Mail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Henry Shefflin - eight All-Ireland medals. Highest scorer in championship hurling history.
    Paul McGrath- 86 caps for Ireland. Regarded as one of our greatest ever soccer players.
    Ronnie Delaney- gold medallist in 1956 Melbourne Games
    Sonia O'Sullivan- silver medallist at 2000 Syndey Games

All sporting icons in one shape or another. Yet it's the appearance of those pesky Jedward twins that garners the attention. It sickens me to think that two lads who finished 6th on a TV "talent" show and represented Ireland twice at the Eurovision are not only invited to take part in the Olympic torch ceremony, but are probably more famous in today's social media obsessed world than the names mentioned above. Makes a mockery of what is essentially an unique occasion for Ireland.

Henry Shefflin - eight All-Ireland medals. Highest scorer in championship hurling history.
    Paul McGrath- 86 caps for Ireland. Regarded as one of our greatest ever soccer players.
    Ronnie Delaney- gold medallist in 1956 Melbourne Games
    Sonia O'Sullivan- silver medallist at 2000 Syndey Games

All sporting icons in one shape or another. Yet it's the appearance of those pesky Jedward twins that garners the attention. It sickens me to think that two lads who finished 6th on a TV "talent" show and represented Ireland twice at the Eurovision are not only invited to take part in the Olympic torch ceremony, but are probably more famous in today's social media obsessed world than the names mentioned above. Makes a mockery of what is essentially an unique occasion for Ireland.

Quote from The Times (England) again.
    It was the first time the torch has left Britain and Northern Ireland: the idea was to pay tribute to the peace process and to acknowledge that Northern Irish athletes also competed in Republic of Ireland squads.

This two sickening lads by the way that with a modicum of talent that they have, has used it to become very successful.
    That means they are besides themselves, employing other Irish folk as they continue in their successful work, they are helping other theatre's around the country to stay open in this times by appearing there and creating more revenues for the owner and workers there too.
    They are also still Irish residents and are still paying huge taxes into the state (unlike U2 that are using every opportunity to use loops in Irish tax laws) which means they are contributing to the welfare of the state big time.

What I find is a mockery is that we are willing (and disgustingly) going to knock these two successful lads for getting on so well, that we who think we have twice their brains, etc, have not done as well as them.

Aaaa hell, its easier to knock these two lads isn't it!

For the record, by ALL accounts of those that know them, they are two of the most likeable and harmless guys you will ever meet.
    They don't drink, don't smoke, never is caught using bad language, never sneer other celebs (in the papers or outside it) as far as I know and is very, very good to their fans.
    No wonder the papers and the begrudger's hate them!

Biggins wrote: »
    Aaa come on... Its The Mail for crying out loud!
    What can anyone expect!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78982638&postcount=8

Which is why you have to take every article they post with a modicum of intelligent breakdown, a possible smattering of a quiet agenda and an acknowledgement that The Mail prints whatever it prints, just to in the long term, sell their paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Using The Daily Mail as a source? Have I fallen into another dimension? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement