Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail headline sneers at Dublin hosting Olympic Flame

2»

Comments

Biggins wrote: »
    Which is why you have to take every article they post with a modicum of intelligent breakdown, a possible smattering of a quiet agenda and an acknowledgement that The Mail prints whatever it prints, just to in the long term, sell their paper.

Pity, I asked for your breakdown back then and never got it. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

They called Jedward "Z list" yet they publish countless articles about the TOWIE cast, people famous for sleeping with someone else and generally people who are famous for being famous.

Not saying that Jedward are extremely talented or famous but I just thought it smacked of hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

lizt wrote: »
    They called Jedward "Z list" yet they publish countless articles about the TOWIE cast, people famous for sleeping with someone else and generally people who are famous for being famous.

Not saying that Jedward are extremely talented or famous but I just thought it smacked of hypocrisy.

Very big time!

Pity, I asked for your breakdown back then and never got it. Ah well.

I provided a very explanatory number of replies to your demands for my position.
    Sadly none were adequate for you.
    However if other readers here care to read the full thread as linked (HERE), they will see this.

Again, nice try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

MarkK wrote: »
    "... what is it doing in IRELAND?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155401/If-irritated-carried-torch-look-away-Z-listers-Jedward-run-Olympic-flame--doing-IRELAND.html

I wonder will the headline make it into tomorrows Irish edition :rolleyes:
    I wont be buying it to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The story is now nowhere to be seen on the DM site, but can still be accessed through the link in the OP. Pure cretinous scum, and just like the spineless little ***** they are they wouldn't even put a name to the article, just "Daily Mail Reporter".

DarkJager wrote: »
    The story is now nowhere to be seen on the DM site, but can still be accessed through the link in the OP. Pure cretinous scum, and just like the spineless little ***** they are they wouldn't even put a name to the article, just "Daily Mail Reporter".

It's still on the front page of the site.

lizt wrote: »
    It's still on the front page of the site.

On second glance you're right, but it's now hidden among the stories in the sidebar than the main headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Henry Shefflin - eight All-Ireland medals. Highest scorer in championship hurling history.
    Paul McGrath- 86 caps for Ireland. Regarded as one of our greatest ever soccer players.
    Ronnie Delaney- gold medallist in 1956 Melbourne Games
    Sonia O'Sullivan- silver medallist at 2000 Syndey Games

All sporting icons in one shape or another. Yet it's the appearance of those pesky Jedward twins that garners the attention. It sickens me to think that two lads who finished 6th on a TV "talent" show and represented Ireland twice at the Eurovision are not only invited to take part in the Olympic torch ceremony, but are probably more famous in today's social media obsessed world than the names mentioned above. Makes a mockery of what is essentially an unique occasion for Ireland.

Chris Moyles ran with it in London. He's hardly an olympic athlete, or even a good representative of London either, he's a príck. Same thing.

• Advertisement

Naomi00 wrote: »

Chris Moyles ran with it in London. He's hardly an olympic athlete, or even a good representative of London either, he's a príck. Same thing.

Dont forget will.i.am, who's an American and also the **** responsible for some of the most vomit inducing "music" ever released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

You know that the country's gone to shit when you rely on Jedward as national icons to represent the country for a major international event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ronnie Delaney was a touching moment, his is one of the Olympic stories, never mind an Irish one.

The 4 minute mile was the subject of so much media attention and rightly so, Bannister getting it and Landy, the Australian, also Delaney.

He was completely written off for the Olympics. Always comes across as a gentleman and an ambassador for the country.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

Quote from The Times (England) again.

This two sickening lads by the way that with a modicum of talent that they have, has used it to become very successful.
    That means they are besides themselves, employing other Irish folk as they continue in their successful work, they are helping other theatre's around the country to stay open in this times by appearing there and creating more revenues for the owner and workers there too.
    They are also still Irish residents and are still paying huge taxes into the state (unlike U2 that are using every opportunity to use loops in Irish tax laws) which means they are contributing to the welfare of the state big time.

What I find is a mockery is that we are willing (and disgustingly) going to knock these two successful lads for getting on so well, that we who think we have twice their brains, etc, have not done as well as them.

Aaaa hell, its easier to knock these two lads isn't it!

For the record, by ALL accounts of those that know them, they are two of the most likeable and harmless guys you will ever meet.
    They don't drink, don't smoke, never is caught using bad language, never sneer other celebs (in the papers or outside it) as far as I know and is very, very good to their fans.
    No wonder the papers and the begrudger's hate them!

it's easy to knock them because they're fully grown adults that act like 10 year old's. Seriously what the **** is wrong with them? they obviously have a medical condition and i'm not joking, it's not an act they put on that's the way they are in real life.

One of our top sports people should have been carrying the torch not those two clowns. I don't care how much money they have made from Abrakebabra
    ads, it's embaressing that they are selected as a representation of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its better than nothing. Its not like any time in the near future we're gonna see Dublin olympics 2039 or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Naomi00 wrote: »
    It's the London Olympics not the UK Olympics so it would be odd if they just went to NI and ignored the rest of the country.

You should perhaps watch the BBC weather report sometime. It never fails to go to NI and ignore the rest of the country.
    I simply thought that is the way it is........is it not???? 1

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    You should perhaps watch the BBC weather report sometime. It never fails to go to NI and ignore the rest of the country.
    I simply thought that is the way it is........is it not???? 1

With things like the weather I would say it's more a case of people in the North paying their TV licence which funds the BBC. We don't fund them at all so why should they bother giving us the forecast or local news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

We should have got the Queen over put her in a jogging suit and let her do a few laps of the Phoenix Park holding the torch. Maybe that would keep the Mail happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

As much as it pains me to say this, I do agree with the Mail. I get the feeling that if Ireland was hosting the Olympics we probably wouldn't want the UK muscling in on our glory so why did we do it to them? We're not even hosting the Olympics ffs!

As much as it pains me to say this, I do agree with the Mail. I get the feeling that if Ireland was hosting the Olympics we probably wouldn't want the UK muscling in on our glory so why did we do it to them? We're not even hosting the Olympics ffs!

It saddens me that people don't bother to check the actual facts behind this matter.

1. The twins are actually members of an athletic sports org.
    John and Edward were also members of the Lucan Harriers Athletic Club and Dundrum South Dublin atletics club and have competed in several Irish athletic tournaments...
    LINK
    The twins, who are huge athletics fans and former international athletes themselves...
    LINK

2. They run races and marathons (the latest one was in L.A.)

It was the first time the torch has left Britain and Northern Ireland: the idea was to pay tribute to the peace process and to acknowledge that Northern Irish athletes also competed in Republic of Ireland squads.
    LINK

4. They are heavily involved with promoting sports!

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUToJggSVAs

* http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/sport/general/Iwan+Thomas-4053.html

...But its easier not to acknowledge this and just take the piss out of them!

omega666 wrote: »
    ...they obviously have a medical condition and i'm not joking, it's not an act they put on that's the way they are in real life.

So SUPPOSING IF they - or anyone - had a medical condition (of similar nature or not) then its ok to take the piss out of them and knock them, intimidate them, for that or they with a supposed condition, still becoming successful despite this?

I feel its not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Since when did Jedward become our ambassador's for everything?

Still, wouldn't insult my poo by using the DM to wipe it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have no time for the DM but i think theyre right to question why two arsehóles were chosen to hold/run with the torch!

CJC999 wrote: »
    I have no time for the DM but i think theyre right to question why two arsehóles were chosen to hold/run with the torch!

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I read the article and it was no way derogatory to Ireland, it wonders why the jedward fellows were allowed to carry the torch like the black american guy in england.

Some people love to think the daily mails main agenda is all about being anti irish.

They're one of the most popular papers in Ireland so thankfully not everyone still has that chip on their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

So what if they carried the Torch!? Ireland a nation of moaneeee holes!! Kick everything down! Miss the bigger picture at whatever cost…
    The mail knows it readership!!

MOAN moan moan moan …….

I read the article and it was no way derogatory to Ireland, it wonders why the jedward fellows were allowed to carry the torch like the black american guy in england.

Some people love to think the daily mails main agenda is all about being anti irish.

They're one of the most popular papers in Ireland so thankfully not everyone still has that chip on their shoulder.

The problem with The Mail is that a simple check by any journalist would answer the question they posed.

Hell, the answer is above in previous posts (see 70).
    ...But no, its easier to take the piss out of two successful lads that have made money, have represented Ireland internationally in sports and singing than actually bothering to learn some facts.

Quality newspaper reporting - not!

Sadly, whats worse, is that some of our own people go along with it in blindness of acknowledging real details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

One seriously has to take this paper cautiously to say the least.

Or better still for one not to even take the Daily Mail in their hand at all.

Unless to wipe their arse of course.

Advertisement