Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For Animal Handling Experience (Cows/Sheep/Pigs)

• 06-06-2012 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a vet student at UCD and I need to spend some time over the summer working with cows/sheep/pigs but I'm new to Ireland and I'm having a lot of trouble finding places that would be willing to allow a student to come and help out.

I had a few leads from classmates, but I haven't been able to reach anyone or set anything up.

This is probably a longshot, but does anyone know of any places where I can do volunteer work with animals that aren't cats/dogs? I live in Dublin but I'm willing to travel anywhere in Ireland to get some hands-on experience so.

Oddly enough, while the vet school requires we do this; they offer no help in finding places to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Hey op you might get a better response in the farming forum or even someone willing to give you some time. You could always try an open farm, there are a fair few around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Hey op you might get a better response in the farming forum or even someone willing to give you some time. You could always try an open farm, there are a fair few around the place

Thank you! I will check out the farming forum.

I hope this doesn't sound strange, but what is an open farm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What about contacting ballyhaise and seeing would they take you for a few weeks? http://www.teagasc.ie/training/colleges/ballyhaise/ It's up in cavan and they have accommodation on site, I'v spent 2 days up there for lambing and it's pretty hands on. Although as far as I know the college had to pay to send us so it's probably not the free volunteer work your looking for.

Pretty sure there's a farming section on boards you could post on too, might be someone there that would be willing to take you in in exchange for hard labour! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

A open farm is where you bring your kids to see the farm animals and feed and pet them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

A open farm is where you bring your kids to see the farm animals and feed and pet them

Ahh! Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Give gurteen agricultural college a ring. They have dairy/beef/lamb. Ive been there for nursing experience and I know they regularly take vets.

Its a bit late in the year for lambing and calving but im sure there would be something going on for you to learn from.

Advertisement