Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Crash Claim

Options
  • 06-06-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My girlfriend was in a crash in January 2010. She was injured and was assessed by the injuries board and got her letter there yesterday to accept the assessment or reject it and go to court. Her solicitor is out of the country for a while and she has to send this back soon with a decision. What she is worried about is what will happen if she just accepts this figure she was givin ? Is there fee's she has to pay? The only fee she knows about is her solicitor fee which has already been agreed. If her and the respondent both agree to accept the assessment how long does it take before she receives her claim? If she or the respondent decline the assessment and take it to court, what happens then? is she at risk of loosing her claim or what happens? She is unsure what to do or what the best decision is and would like to get a bit of feed back. She is trying to see a solicitor to talk about it. Any feed back is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Don't accept the assessment without taking advice, that's after all what your gf is paying her solicitor for. She wont know if its a fair assessment. If she accepts it that's the end of the matter and she can never get a second bite at it.

PIAB assessments in my experience are always undervalued.

I presume there is at least somebody working in the office while he/she is away. Contact the solicitors office.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Totally agree with McCrack...

The way it works is as follows. Respondent has 21 days to accept/reject the assessment. Claimant (Your girlfriend) has 28 days to accept/reject the assessment.... be careful, if no response is received from claimant then its assumed that its rejected.

If she accepts I believe the only fees she will have is her own solicitor fees.

She should speak with her solicitor, I'm sure they are not out of the country for 4 weeks.

If both parties accept, an order to pay is issued and respondent I believe has 21 days to pay. Thats it, line is drawn under it.... its over. No second bite if there are unforeseen complications etc.

Hope this helps

Advertisement