Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets

Options
  • 06-06-2012 6:52pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mine has a nice big crack in it, don't know where it came from anyway since I'm buying a new one anyway, whats the difference between one for 50 quid and one for 140? :confused: For regular training/commuting/racing...

A 150 quid helmet isn't going to make me 3 times faster than one for 60. Whats the deal with the expensive helmets? What can they offer that the cheaper (decent) ones can't? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

They all have to meet the same standards so from safety perspective there's zero difference between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

You need to ask yourself in order of importance:

1. Do I look good in it?
    2. Does it look expensive?
    3. Does the colour match my bike?
    4. Does the colour match my tri suit / bike gear?
    5. Is it likely to give me helmet hair?

Once you are happy with all of the above then you can consider buying a specific helmet :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah thats what I thought griff, just thought I'd ask in case I was missing something blindingly obvious. If I ever buy a non-sperm shaped helmet for €150+ I'll be leaving the price tag on it so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Not sure I agree with saying that they all have to meet the same safety requirements so are all the same. I come from a kayaking background and although what you are saying is true that all helemts have to meet the same standards this doesn't mean that the more expensive ones don't exceed the standards that the cheaper ones just meet. In kayaking alot of the more expensive helmets offered more protection and exceed the EU guidelines on what protection they offer.

Not sure if this transfers across to bike helmets but might be worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

joey100 wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with saying that they all have to meet the same safety requirements so are all the same. I come from a kayaking background and although what you are saying is true that all helemts have to meet the same standards this doesn't mean that the more expensive ones don't exceed the standards that the cheaper ones just meet. In kayaking alot of the more expensive helmets offered more protection and exceed the EU guidelines on what protection they offer.

Not sure if this transfers across to bike helmets but might be worth looking at.

But is one thats 150 three times safer than one thats 50 :confused:

• Advertisement

I think to get a helmet certified you just need to 'pass' the requirements. I'll see If I can download the relevant bs standard in work tomorrow and I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I agree Griffin, you do just have to get a helmet to pass the requirements to get a certification, but this does not mean all helmets meet it to the same level. Again I come from a different background but some of the expensive helmets offered better all round protection and were made from better material, it should be noted though that just becuase a helmet was more expensive didnt necessarily mean it was better as some helmets were just more expensive because of their brand name.

Elvis, not sure they offer three times more protection but if they offer better protection it might be worth some of the extra money. All depends on the level of protection that they offer.

Again just want to stress that this might not even be relevant for cycling helmets, just from my kayaking background it was relevant.

I agree Griffin, you do just have to get a helmet to pass the requirements to get a certification, but this does not mean all helmets meet it to the same level. Again I come from a different background but some of the expensive helmets offered better all round protection and were made from better material, it should be noted though that just becuase a helmet was more expensive didnt necessarily mean it was better as some helmets were just more expensive because of their brand name.

Elvis, not sure they offer three times more protection but if they offer better protection it might be worth some of the extra money. All depends on the level of protection that they offer.

Again just want to stress that this might not even be relevant for cycling helmets, just from my kayaking background it was relevant.

no death, no wheelchair and a face that looks semi normal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

no death, no wheelchair and a face that looks semi normal:D

On the face aspect - remember the shades too. Cheap ass shades shatter and scar. #BeenThereDoneThat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

In general as you pay more you start gaining additional qualities in the helmet such as
    • lighter weight
    • more ventilation
    • more advanced materials
    • Cooler paint scheme
    It's not always the more expensive helemts that give the best results.
    In motorbiking there can be real snobbish attitude to what helmet you where but they all meet the same criteria. The tests done to allow them to meet certification level don't always replicate what will happen to the helmet in a crash either. I had a friend who had a very bad accident hit a fence head first span round hit the fence again and ended up losing his leg. If it wasn't for his helmet remaining intact when others would have failed he wouldn't be around today. His helmet that day cost <€100 compared to other he had > €500.

• Advertisement

Had a quick look at the BS standard for cycle helmets (EN1078: 2012), interestingly the same standard is used for helmets for roller skates and skateboards with no differentiation between same, so technically these types of helmets are bike friendly!!

The standard lays down minimum requirements for various components and variables including construction, field of vision when worn, shock absorption and the retention system i.e. the strap. Some parts are strange, the standard says the chin strap cannot be coloured green :confused: For shock absorption two tests are used, one to simulate a drop of approx. 1.5m onto a flat surface, and one to simulate a drop of approx. 1m onto the edge of a kerb. The helmet has to be able to absorb the shock from such impacts to a specific degree and once this has been done the helmet can be BS / EN marked. There is no grading system for exceeding the standard although I'm sure some helmets do exceed it more than others but it should be borne in mind that this being an EN / BS standard the basic requirements would be pretty stringent.

That said, you still only have a bit of plastic lined with polystyrene to protect your head if you come off :(

tunney wrote: »
    On the face aspect - remember the shades too. Cheap ass shades shatter and scar. #BeenThereDoneThat

Yep, never leave home without my Oakleys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Mine has a nice big crack in it, don't know where it came from anyway since I'm buying a new one anyway...

Just on the off chance that your existing one is a Giro, they have a replacement programme under which you can get a reduced price replacement for up to 3 year old lids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So basically, performance wise THIS is no better than THIS. As I thought, mad difference in prices like...

Never really considered the safety thing but it's not something that they tend to put on their specs. I'd consider paying the extra if it was more likely to save my life in a high speed crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

there could be a difference but I would not bet on it and of this 140 euro a lot is design.
    In germany stifftung warentest does quite regularly helmet tests I will have a look if I find it .

All i can say is BBB makes usually super solid stuff at v good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

http://www.test.de/Fahrradhelme-Schutz-fuer-Gross-und-Klein-1672183-1671027/

there is a pdf which has test all helmets got a good result
    tested from 19 to 90 euro
    and the winner where the 40-55 euro helmets
    MET and giro tend to test quite well.
    unfortunately bbb not a very common company in germany

anyway like a wetsuit the fit of an helmet is v important and also how the straps are fixed . if they are to lose the protection of an helmet goes down significantly.

Hope that helps a bit .

So basically, performance wise THIS is no better than THIS. As I thought, mad difference in prices like...

Never really considered the safety thing but it's not something that they tend to put on their specs. I'd consider paying the extra if it was more likely to save my life in a high speed crash.

I have the 2nd one i think and thankfully i've never had a use for it and i hope i never do:)

Advertisement