Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I to late to plant strawberries?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I've just moved into a new apartment with a nice SW facing balcony that I plan to keep a few pots on.
    Would be nice to have something to take back into the kitchen from a few of the pots.
    I'm fairly new to gardening but have the bug, and this is my first attempt to grow to eat so it would be nice if it was a success!
    Should I play safe and plant some potatoes given its already mid June, or would strawberries still have a good chance to grow? Space is limited so I can't try both. Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I think I planted my strawberries late last year. Got two strawberries off them but they're looking good for ten this year. After eating the (two small hairy) strawberries, I read that people often dont let them fruit in their first year to get a better yield the following year.

Herbs are a nice one, as small pots yield relativley large amounts of herbs, where my five pea plants will do a single meal, the coriander jsut keeps on giving!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Go for it, planted some just two weeks ago and they are thriving, was actually thinking of getting some more for that area for the garden this weekend, if we are not all washed into the sea with all this rain lately.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well you can give them ago but in fairness you wont get a great crop this year, even if you planted them a couple of months ago. You could plant them up and nip out the flowers and you would get a nice crop next year. If your space is limited I don't think potatoes are for you. You just wouldn't get enough yield back for your patience and effort. If you want to grow something and get a good satisfying crop go with something like cut and come again salads. Easy peasy and quick to crop. You could get ahead and buy in some plug plants instead of sowing seeds. Carrots are a great crop to grow in a pot. Cheap as chips in the shops but satifying to grow your own. I sowed Early Namtes for baby/fingerling carrots in an 8 inch pot of compost and got a 50 back. You would expect to have to wait till about end of august for a crop though.
    So what do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Tree wrote: »
    I think I planted my strawberries late last year. Got two strawberries off them but they're looking good for ten this year. After eating the (two small hairy) strawberries, I read that people often dont let them fruit in their first year to get a better yield the following year.

Herbs are a nice one, as small pots yield relativley large amounts of herbs, where my five pea plants will do a single meal, the coriander jsut keeps on giving!

They may have been an Alpine variety, Elsanta are a much stronger variety and produce a better yield of fruit.

Advertisement