Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question but I've been hearing rumors

Options
  • 06-06-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is it true a lot of colleges have dropped Irish as an entry requirement? There's 3 schools in my area and around each one everyone seems to have the same story: Most colleges have dropped the Irish entry requirement. A friend of mine said he saw something on Qualifax about it but I couldn't find it.

If it's true, does anyone know if Maynooth has dropped it? I tried looking at their website but college websites are so confusing to me :S

Quick edit, I'm looking for Joint Maths and Computer Science.

Also, I read in the Independent last August that the Irish exam is optional. I'm not gonna skip it if it is but I just want to know if I should spend as much time on it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Checked a few courses on Qualifax and they still require a minimum of an OD3 in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

As long as you've another language, most colleges, apart from the NUIs, don't require it. BUT TRIPLE CHECK YOUR COURSE REQUIREMENTS

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is it true a lot of colleges have dropped Irish as an entry requirement? There's 3 schools in my area and around each one everyone seems to have the same story: Most colleges have dropped the Irish entry requirement. A friend of mine said he saw something on Qualifax about it but I couldn't find it.

If it's true, does anyone know if Maynooth has dropped it? I tried looking at their website but college websites are so confusing to me :S

Quick edit, I'm looking for Joint Maths and Computer Science.

Also, I read in the Independent last August that the Irish exam is optional. I'm not gonna skip it if it is but I just want to know if I should spend as much time on it now.
    In general, the NUI colleges require Irish.

Requirements for NUI Maynooth

All courses seem to require a pass in OL Irish as a minimum, as far as I can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

DCU: Pass irish or english

TCD: Pass irish or another language (apart from english)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

you do need irish for maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

I'm looking for Joint Maths and Computer Science.

DIT do computer science where you need to pass either irish or english.

DIT do a separate maths course where you need to pass irish or english.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I have got a exemption. Thank god I don't have to study a useless language! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

Requirements for "core subjects" are definitely changing. You can now study arts at NUI colleges without doing any LC Maths, while similar courses in Trinity are accepting foundation. I never believed that would be possible so it's such a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Heno97

Is there a list of colleges that don't require Irish avalible anywhere?

Advertisement