Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyacinth Bucket

• 06-06-2012 7:37pm
    Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭

c is an annoying character in Keeping Up Appearances
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_Bucket

She pretends that she is upper class even though she in reality is middle class with a working class background.

I do believe the Celtic tiger created many women like her. Does anyone know any women who behave like Hyacinth "Bouquet" Bucket?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I do but I'm rather busy eating a swan right now, so I'll check back in later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Does anyone know any women who behave like Hyacinth "Bouquet" Bucket?

Yes, Certainly.
    I lived beside one for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

She pretends that she is upper class even though she in reality is middle class with a working class background.

I do believe the Celtic tiger created many women like her. Does anyone know any women who behave like Hyacinth "Bouquet" Bucket?

How about half the famale population of South County Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Onslow ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I live in Dalkey, nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I know a lot more 'Onslows' tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I heard she was in a relationship with Pat Butcher from Eastenders.

That's not high class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh I love her! I really want to be just like her when I'm older and have people around to drink from china tea cups and host candelit suppers! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Invader_Zimmy

Oh I love her! I really want to be just like her when I'm older and have people around to drink from china tea cups and host candelit suppers! :D
    What will you do when relatives show up outside your mansion wearing tracksuits, driving a Subaru?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No, known a few in my time that have behaved like bill posters buckets if that counts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I heard she was in a relationship with Pat Butcher from Eastenders.

That's not high class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Onslow ftw!

Ohhhhhh nice!

Keeping up Appearances is a decent show, suffered from repetitive storylines though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

TheBody wrote: »
    How about half the famale population of South County Dublin.
    lol ....

I much prefered Penelope Keith as Margo in 'The Good Life ' ...she did it ever so much better .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

In the show she and her husband are working class, he goes on to retirement age and reluctantly does retire. With their gay son away from home she finds they've more money to spend, but Richard has a more realistic grasp on their finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

21st century Hyacinths: SUVs / 4x4s, children doing activities, address changers*

* Artane becomes Raheny
    * Stillorgan becomes Foxrock
    * Ringsend becomes Ballsbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's Bouquet FFS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think she played the part very well, great programme. I think we all know someone like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My uncle always refers to my mam as "our Hyacinth" ....drives her spare....(he's not all wrong)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Used to love that show so much when I was little.

"Buuuuuckeeeeeet residence, lady of the house speaking!"

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I think we all have an aunt or other relative just like Hyacinth, They always seem to have a completely different accent to the rest of their siblings too funnily enough :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    lol ....

I much prefered Penelope Keith as Margo in 'The Good Life ' ...she did it ever so much better .

She was a classic - as was/is the Tv series. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Biggins wrote: »
    Latchy wrote: »
    lol ....

I still watch the re runs, you don't get television like that any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

kincsem wrote: »
    21st century Hyacinths: SUVs / 4x4s, children doing activities, address changers*

* Artane becomes Raheny
    * Stillorgan becomes Foxrock
    * Ringsend becomes Ballsbridge

I laugh at the way houses in Ballybrack, Loughlinstown and Shankhill were demolished and new ones built in Killiney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Used to love that show so much when I was little.

"Buuuuuckeeeeeet residence, lady of the house speaking!"

Its my sister Violet. You know the one with the swimming pool and room for a pony.

Abi wrote: »

Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

She was perfect in the role and complete opposite to 'Barbara' (Felicity Kendal )
    Abi wrote: »
    Good television series as such is hard to find these days and you could get away with more back then in those pre political correct days without offending anybody ,real or imagined .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

I think we all have an aunt or other relative just like Hyacinth, They always seem to have a completely different accent to the rest of their siblings too funnily enough :rolleyes:
    Have "telephone accents" disappeared now that we all spend a large portion of our day on our mobiles. When I was young people always put on their best voice when they answered the phone. Everyone sounded like they came from Foxrock, and spoke with marbles in their mouth until they found out who they were talking to, then they could revert to their normal voice or keep up the accent if it was someone important like the priest or the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

amtw wrote: »
    Have "telephone accents" disappeared now that we all spend a large portion of our day on our mobiles. When I was young people always put on their best voice when they answered the phone. Everyone sounded like they came from Foxrock, and spoke with marbles in their mouth until they found out who they were talking to, then they could revert to their normal voice or keep up the accent if it was someone important like the priest or the doctor.

Ha my father does this. At times he acts like a snob on the phone despite being a **** covered farmer.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A great Lady though a little mad .I always felt sorry for Richard because a few men do live like that with wives who simply can't absorb practical common sense .Onslow had an easier life and they certainly exist .

• Advertisement

All this mentioning of Penelope Keith as Margo, reminded me of her TV series husband Jerry Leadbetter (Paul Eddington).
    Have to re-watch "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime-minister" again. Out with the boxsets. :D
    More ever brilliant classic stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Forget that, just imagine her starkers, bouncing on your dick with a face on her like she's just taken a bite out of a lemon dipped in battery acid and moaning like a Rottweiler is tearing the barse off her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Forget that, just imagine her starkers, bouncing on your dick with a face on her like she's just taken a bite out of a lemon dipped in battery acid and moaning like a Rottweiler is tearing the barse off her.
    It's unlikely she'd find the idea of sucking whiskey off your erect penis appealing alright;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My nan was at the theatre once, and ended up sitting behind Patricia Routledge.

Nan (not known for her whispering) turned to her friend and said "It's Mrs Bucket!!". Routledge turned around and said 'It's Bouquet, dear'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its my sister Violet. You know the one with the swimming pool and room for a pony.
    room for a pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

It's the new money types that annoy me. There's one near me...who was reared without a pot to piss in. Now I see her with her faux fur leopardskin coat, swanning off to the school in her 4 wheel drive to collect Tarquin & Guinevere

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My mother is a total Hyacinth, she even watchs the show whenever it is on UK Gold, she changes her voice when she answers the phone. She helped me buy a BMW when I was 19 and loves having everything prim and proper. She makes my father park his van behind the house incase anyone would see that old "tinkers van". She came from working class and both my parents are now both upper middle class and my father is a total onslow type character and isn't worried about having money or not.

The same woman nearly had a heart-attack when I started dating a single mother a few years ago and tried her damndest to interfere, it didn't work but not because of her. She loves to boast, especially to her family and is a typical Irish mammy in that I as her son can do no wrong whatsoever, my sister and her have war nearly every second day and she moved out of home as she just couldn't stick her.

My dad often calls my mam Hyacinth and it is a perfect description.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

It's unlikely she'd find the idea of sucking whiskey off your erect penis appealing alright;)

Jaysus dude that imagine certainly stuck with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, my inlaws are kind of like that.
    They were poor growing up, and worked their way up with a nice push along the way from the celtic tiger.

They're all about the money, the house, what you should and shouldn't do.
    They seem to think they are superior because they have money and 'stuff'.
    'Keeping up appearances' is them to a tee.

I can't stand them at all.
    As people, we just differ so much.
    I don't care for stuff, or keeping up with the neighbours, or doing what you 'should' do etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Have you seen the outtakes for Keeping Up Appearances?

If you haven't you can see them here below.

What great memories. I hope you enjoy them as I have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

All this mentioning of Penelope Keith as Margo, reminded me of her TV series husband Jerry Leadbetter (Paul Eddington).
    Have to re-watch "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime-minister" again. Out with the boxsets. :D
    More ever brilliant classic stuff.

Should be required watching before every general election, shows every political trick in the book. One of the most intelligent and funny comedies ever wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Never liked 'Keeping Up Appearances', see one episode and you've seen them all, it basically repeated the same jokes ad nauseum. And the long suffering husband, Richard, jeez what a wimp..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

my sister- dad calles her "Mrs bucket" she was raised in a corporation estate same as us- married into money and now talks with an english accent and is always saying stuff like "Lets do lunch" and "I wont eat in that cafe its common"

Will only drink red wine and thinks paying with cash in a restaurants tacky!

We all went for a meal once and she told me to give her my money and she would pay with the credit card as "I would make a show of her going up paying for my part of the meal seperatly"

Yet when she gets a few drinks into her she talks in her normal accent and starts drinking beer again!

we just take the piss out of her- drives her mad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

moaning like a Rottweiler is tearing the barse off her.

:D
    Isn't the 'barse' a part of the male anatomy?

Grew up a few doors up from a woman like Hyacinth. She dressed like part of the 'county set' in expensive tweeds and bemoaned the lack of solicitors' and doctors' wives in the area that she could go for walks with. (This to my mother, who she was walking with at the time! Not to mention the fact that she didn't register that women could be doctors and solicitors too!) She called her children pretentious names (akin to Sheridan) and would boast about them all the time.

Last I heard of her she was having her bum wiped in a nursing home.

I wish i knew a few like her sister Rose though......:D
    And a fair bit younger mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My next door neighbour is one in every sense. So much so I am working in my garden at the moment and she came out to ask me when i would be finished as she has visitors in the next couple of weeks and wants the grass established..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Is OP a CorkMan re-reg, haven't seen so many $hite threads started by one poster in a while?

My next door neighbour is one in every sense. So much so I am working in my garden at the moment and she came out to ask me when i would be finished as she has visitors in the next couple of weeks and wants the grass established..

:eek:

Should be required watching before every general election, shows every political trick in the book. One of the most intelligent and funny comedies ever wrote.

Thatcher who was in power at the time (and was also a fan of the show), once jokingly asked "Was the writers of the show listening in on her, the government departments and her advisor's?"
    She just about said it was near accurate to the real daily goings on! :pac:

...But yea, its a insight into the red-tape, politics and paper-shuffling that goes on in government.
    Brilliant series on two levels.
    One as a pure comedy (best episode for me was "The Key") and on an educational level.

Pure gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Yep, my next door neighbour is just like her, she was furious recently when she discovered that Sinn Fein had attached a Vote No poster to the telephone pole outside her house. As there wasn't too many Sinn Fein posters in my area I like to think they specifically chose outside her house just to piss her off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

put an old car on bricks and a dog in it out on your lawn the day before her visitors are due to come and sit out in your garden looking like onslo for the laugh ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement