Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyacinth Bucket

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Yep, my next door neighbour is just like her, she was furious recently when she discovered that Sinn Fein had attached a Vote No poster to the telephone pole outside her house. As there wasn't too many Sinn Fein posters in my area I like to think they specifically chose outside her house just to piss her off :pac:

I'd sympathise with her there, I sure would not like to see a SF poster in my street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'd sympathise with her there, I sure would not like to see a SF poster in my street.

Welcome to boards.ie Willie Frazer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

put an old car on bricks and a dog in it out on your lawn the day before her visitors are due to come and sit out in your garden looking like onslo for the laugh ;)

No No No. This is a Priiivvvate estate. Cant be doing that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Aww love it still watch the re-runs on Gold:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sorry to bringing up an old thread, but the actor who played Onslow died last night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Sorry to bringing up an old thread, but the actor who played Onslow died last night :(

Yeah - Geoffrey Hughes RIP :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19032928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Geoffrey Hughes was the chap who also played Eddie Yates in Coronation street for many years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

TheBody wrote: »
    How about half the famale population of South County Dublin.

and half the female population of north dublin, so dublin.

i knew one a few years ago, she was involved in clontarf cricket club and thought she was the dogs bollox. this was despite driving a clapped out car and being thousands in the red. she was more like voilet than hyancinth really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Growing up, we had a neigbour who drove a Toyota Crown. It was like something the Soviets would have driven Gorbachev around in, polished to within an inch of its life and luxurious inside. In reality he had crowbarred a smaller engine into it to save money and it wasnt worth a grand. He had big ideas and liked to 'keep up appearances'. He was a sound aul fella though who never had a bad word to say about anyone. Its the Hyacinth buckets of this world that forget where they came from and belittle others that I hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

and half the female population of north dublin, so dublin.

i knew one a few years ago, she was involved in clontarf cricket club and thought she was the dogs bollox. this was despite driving a clapped out car and being thousands in the red. she was more like voilet than hyancinth really

Is that the one with the swimming pool, jacuzzi and room for a pony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Is that the one with the swimming pool, jacuzzi and room for a pony?

yes, married to bruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

c is an annoying character in Keeping Up Appearances
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_Bucket

She pretends that she is upper class even though she in reality is middle class with a working class background.

I do believe the Celtic tiger created many women like her. Does anyone know any women who behave like Hyacinth "Bouquet" Bucket?

Say no more....... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711827

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Latchy wrote: »
    lol ....

I much prefered Penelope Keith as Margo in 'The Good Life ' ...she did it ever so much better .

Ah but Margo was haute bourgeoise, Mrs Bouquet was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Biggins wrote: »
    ...But yea, its a insight into the red-tape, politics and paper-shuffling that goes on in government.
    Brilliant series on two levels.

You should watch Ian Richardson in House of Cards and the two followup series

You might very well say it is excellent but I could not possibly comment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ah but Margo was haute bourgeoise, Mrs Bouquet was not.
    For sure ...Margo would have fitted into Marie Antoinette's circle of friends ,no problem .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

And poor Onslow passed away today. Was a great actor. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Eddie Yeats?

He was my hero as both characters:(

Sadly yes. Loved him as the rogue Vernon Scripps in Heart Beat, always up to mischief. He will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

phoenix999 wrote: »
    And poor Onslow passed away today. Was a great actor. RIP.

Yikes. He couldn't have been that old. RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Would never have put 68 on him, sorry to hear it, RIP Geoffrey:(

• Advertisement

He had prostate cancer. My father had the same thing. It's the scourge of all men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

When i was buying my house, i went to view a really nice house in a cul de sac estate. Houses were lovely but built very close to each other and a bit claustrophobic. I was ready to buy the place but as i left the house and stood in the front garden, a hyacinth bucket came out of every single house in the estate and all climbed into a minibus. I ran like hell from that place.
    Imagine living in the middle of a herd of Hyacinths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

mikemac1 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Oz8RjPAD2Jk

ian Richardson uttering those immortal lines, great series Richardson was excellent

And RIP Eddie one of the best characters ever in Corrie, great comedy double act with Stan Ogden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Absolutely amazing series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

RIP, Onslow/Eddie Yates x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

My next door neighbour is one in every sense. So much so I am working in my garden at the moment and she came out to ask me when i would be finished as she has visitors in the next couple of weeks and wants the grass established..

Hope you gave her a good smart answer?? or better yet mind YORE own fúckin business

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

RIP, Onslow/Eddie Yates x

He kicked the Bouquet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

keano_afc wrote: »
    He kicked the Bouquet?

He did :( and he would of loved that line I'm sure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Loved Geoffrey Hughes as Eddie Yates on Coronation Street. Poor Onslow...
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Sad news alright, he was great in both shows. RIP Geoffrey Hughes x

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Christ, Geoffrey didn't look 68 - had him in his late 50's at a guess.

Loved him in the Royle Family:

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's sad to hear of the passing of Geoffrey Hughes. Onslow was a great character, a role-model for wannabe layabout (no work, endless supply of cans, a tv that showed horse racing 24/7). As Twiggy he was very good in the Royle Family too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Abi wrote: »
    With their gay son away from home she finds they've more money to spend, but Richard has a more realistic grasp on their finances.

Gay?
    I clearly missed that reference

I know he's a sponger and constantly begging for money but I can't remember any reference to him being gay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Ah thats sad news about poor oul Twiggy/Onslo/Geoffrey Hughes. He was excellent in both shows.

Poor Cheryl will be heartbroken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Great actor. R I P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Loved him in the Royle Family:

Aye, he was excellent in the RF. Such a simple show. Couch potatoes watching couch potatoes. But it worked.

I hope they do another Christmas special or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Gay?

I know he's a sponger and constantly begging for money but I can't remember any reference to him being gay

It's been years since I've watched it but I do remember the son's "gentleman" friend being subtly mentioned occasionally in the telephone conversations where the son used to ring up looking for money.

Oh and RIP Twiggy/Onslo/Geoffrey Hughes. Great actor!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sad news, he died from prostate cancer. He'd previously beaten the disease in the late 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Abi wrote: »
    With their gay son away from home she finds they've more money to spend, but Richard has a more realistic grasp on their finances.

Gay?

From wiki
    There is also her never-seen son, Sheridan, a perpetual student at University, about whom Hyacinth constantly brags. He frequently calls home asking for money. It is strongly hinted that Sheridan may be gay, which seems to be obvious to all except Hyacinth.

Everyone except Hyacinth... And mikemac1

• Advertisement
Advertisement