Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend smartphone?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

• Hi, could anyone recommend a smartphone? Nothing too flash, want it mainly for accessing email and internet, not that interested in apps, basic camera is OK, touchscreen, am bill payer with Vodafone, not too expensive. Don't understand any of the jargon or terms...thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Any preferences of manufacture or operating software?

Budget?

What do you currently have, and like/dislike about it?

And welcome to boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 flymac

Hi Davy

Thanks for your prompt reply! Now you are talking about operating s/ware and I haven't a notion - have an ancient NOKIA - dropped it in the sea so have to get a new phone but needed one anyway - one which makes it easier to check email and acccess the Net - only use phone for calls, texts, checking email and would like to be able to search the Net too with ease. Hardly ever use camera, no interest in apps - am a bit of a Luddite really, just want simple functional but fast phone. Would rather not spend over 100-150 as not interested in gizmos but don't know if that is possible. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

flymac wrote: »
    Hi Davy

Thanks for your prompt reply! Now you are talking about operating s/ware and I haven't a notion - have an ancient NOKIA - dropped it in the sea so have to get a new phone but needed one anyway - one which makes it easier to check email and acccess the Net - only use phone for calls, texts, checking email and would like to be able to search the Net too with ease. Hardly ever use camera, no interest in apps - am a bit of a Luddite really, just want simple functional but fast phone. Would rather not spend over 100-150 as not interested in gizmos but don't know if that is possible. :-)

I wanted to see if you wanted to stay with nokia or would you move to android based phone etc. Nearly all phones will do with what you have asked for.

Are you renewing a contract with vodafone, or are you buying PAYG from them?

I will be staying with Vf as I am part of a group scheme bill pay with them at work - don't care about platforms - wouldn't recognise one if it hit me. From the little I have just read on Wikipedia about Android, sounds great so would have no problem moving to an Android sys, but then do not use apps so not sure if it matters what sys is...really out of my depth here - I am an Nissan Micra car driver - just want a car that goes and is reliable, neat, easy to park, unremarkable :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Jarren, will check those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, it probably would be good for you to go into a shop and try a few models out with an assistant.
    Smartphones come in all shapes and sizes and there is the old row between apple and android etc.
    Try some and see which you think is best for you.

Or watch some reviews/comparisons on youtube to get into the lingo
    There are plenty around like this

Advertisement