Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel alignment cost?

• 06-06-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

Paid €60 today to get wheel alignment done. Took about 30min of which only about half was actually spent working on the car.

Is this the going rate or was I smoked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sounds about right. Was it 4 wheel? Laser alignment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dar83 wrote: »
    Was it 4 wheel? Laser alignment?

Was about to ask this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

4 wheel, not familiar with the various methods so wouldn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Ya ,that seems to be the going rate,I spent 60 euro for same a few months ago.The car was put up off the ground and lasers were used to align wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

€60 is perfectly reasonable if it was full 4 wheel alignment you had done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Seems in the right ballpark. Personally I have never spent more than €40-45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wow, I paid €35 about two weeks ago. Clearly prices vary greatly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

My wife's car really needs to be done. Anybody got recommendations in the Navan Road area for 4 wheel alignment?

Thanks

TheBody wrote: »
    Wow, I paid €35 about two weeks ago. Clearly prices vary greatly!!

What car have you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

JOSman wrote: »
    My wife's car really needs to be done. Anybody got recommendations in the Navan Road area for 4 wheel alignment?

Thanks

Dave McCann Tyres seems to get good recommendations.

http://www.davemccanntyres.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Thanks Rebel.Ranter

What car have you got?

2007 Ford Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

40 is reasonable, i would think 60 expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

if camber/toe etc is done 60eu is cheap.

2007 Ford Focus.

They have front and rear adjustment so if you had it done properly then €35 is extremely cheap.
    pred racer wrote: »
    40 is reasonable, i would think 60 expensive.

The problem is that people think that wheel alignment, just like servicing, is a generic term when it isn't.

Simple front wheel alignment using basic laser sight gauges is VERY different to full 4 wheel alignment, which includes camber, castor swings, thrust angle measurements etc etc on modern alignment machines.

The latter is what's required to properly align most modern cars and these machines can cost up to 50k, as opposed to a few hundred Euro for laser sight gauges.

Ireland is actually very cheap for wheel alignment, in the UK you'd pay over £100 to have wheel alignment done properly on quality equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I'm an expert on this in the last few months... 40 is the lower end of the scale and 60 is the upper end of the scale in terms of alignments.

To be fair, it all depends on how much adjustments have to be done. I wouldn't consider €60 "smoked" if there was alignment required on all 4 wheels.

They have front and rear adjustment so if you had it done properly then €35 is extremely cheap.

The problem is that people think that wheel alignment, just like servicing, is a generic term when it isn't.

Simple front wheel alignment using basic laser sight gauges is VERY different to full 4 wheel alignment, which includes camber, castor swings, thrust angle measurements etc etc on modern alignment machines.

The latter is what's required to properly align most modern cars and these machines can cost up to 50k, as opposed to a few hundred Euro for laser sight gauges.

Ireland is actually very cheap for wheel alignment, in the UK you'd pay over £100 to have wheel alignment done properly on quality equipment.

true, i know this as my honda had to be aligned in a few places until i got it right, i needed camber and toe adjustment.

basic 4 wheel lazer alignment should be relatively cheap.

this is camber and toe print out for the accord.

7160868547_1903ab50ca_c.jpg

Aye, but in the UK you can get it done right first time! :cool:

The problem for the average punter (which I am) is that we have to put a lot of our faith in the mechanic. We simply drop it off and can't really argue against anything the mechanic says as we don't know any better.

I havn't had any trouble with my guy (so far!!) and have been going to him for a long time.

if camber/toe etc is done 60eu is cheap.

Surely that's what alignment is all about - camber and toe?:confused:

• Advertisement

jayok wrote: »

not really, but i was in kwik fit for my first..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Every time I go to mechanic I end up getting front ball joints,drop links,tie rods ect ... So every time I get van back,after paying mechanic, he says you'll have to go get tracking done... Another 40 euro....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The thing is, weirdly, that many of the tyre center chains and service chains in Ireland have the expensive equipment but they don't specifically advertise the fact and there is also the problem of staff not knowing how to fully use the equipment or fully understanding the concept of proper wheel alignment. In the UK, anywhere that invests in this equipment also invests in proper training and advertising of the service as being superior to other alignment available.

The problem for the average punter (which I am) is that we have to put a lot of our faith in the mechanic. We simply drop it off and can't really argue against anything the mechanic says as we don't know any better.

I havn't had any trouble with my guy (so far!!) and have been going to him for a long time.

I agree, there is generally no way that the average motorist will have a clue what adjustment is required on their car and this can lead to people having trouble with tyre wear/pulling to one side etc etc and assuming, that because they've had 'alignment' done, that it can't be the problem.

not really, but i was in kwik fit for my first..:rolleyes:

Yeah, well with your Honda you should have found your nearest Hunter machine, everything else pales away.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Looking at your output it was a Hunter alignment that finally sorted it.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Surely that's what alignment is all about - camber and toe?:confused:

Full wheel alignment is about a lot more then that. Basic laser aligners can only do front and rear toe.

The infa red camera based aligners, like the hunter mentioned above, are the best and most accurate by far.

Yeah, well with your Honda you should have found your nearest Hunter machine, everything else pales away.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Looking at your output it was a Hunter alignment that finally sorted it.

ya, hunter is the one.

DSCF1472.jpg

That's a screen shot from our machine. I've never used the hunter machines but the John Bean camera/image aligners work the exact same way.

Does this look ok? Which is which?

Image1397-1.jpg

Does this look ok? Which is which?

That's 4 wheel alignment, what type of car is it?

• Advertisement

w203 merc c200

w203 merc c200

Your front right camber is still off but its not service adjustable on your car.

Nothing my sledge can't fix...:D

What am I looking at on that print out? How do I relate that to your screen prints?

Nothing my sledge can't fix...:D

What am I looking at on that print out? How do I relate that to your screen prints?

Image1397-1.jpg

Left column = before adjustment.

next column = after adjustment.

Right columns(blue) = allowable tolerances.

Upper section is front axle, lower is the rear axle.

First row is Total Toe.

Second is left and right Toe.

Third is left and right camber.

Fourth is total/cross camber.

Fifth is left and right castor.

Sixth is thrust angle.

The rear is the same but without the castor angles. Hope that all makes sense.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Cost me €50 for a full alignment. Camber, caster, toe on front and camber, toe on the rear.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Cost me €50 for a full alignment. Camber, caster, toe on front and camber, toe on the rear.

That's a good price, what car is it?

• Advertisement

Is the 1st blue column the target values, the 2nd and 3rd blue the tolerances on the target value?

I see what you mean with the RF camber (total front camber is out too so).

LF and RF caster is out too.

Thrust angle barely makes it.

Rear toe ok.

Rear camber barely adjusted, was ok before.

I assume a patient and well trained guy would be able to get it pretty darn close to perfect?

That's a good price, what car is it?

E36 318is.

Is the 1st blue column the target values, the 2nd and 3rd blue the tolerances on the target value?

I see what you mean with the RF camber (total front camber is out too so).

LF and RF caster is out too.

Thrust angle barely makes it.

Rear toe ok.

Rear camber barely adjusted, was ok before.

I assume a patient and well trained guy would be able to get it pretty darn close to perfect?

Well the camber and castor readings aren't adjustable on your car as standard but they aren't off by an amount that will cause any noticeable issues for normal driving.

A decent operator with an accurate machine will be able to get the readings bang on the factory settings. A really good guy can make adjustments which will suit certain driving styles.

E36 318is.

Unless you have after market suspension components, the front camber and castor aren't adjustable on your car. With a decent machine they would have measured their readings though.

Unless you have after market suspension components, the front camber and castor aren't adjustable on your car. With a decent machine they would have measured their readings though.

HSD coilovers. Adjustable mounts. ;)

• Advertisement

HSD coilovers. Adjustable mounts. ;)

That give you camber adjustment only so.

Regardless, its still a very good price for the full set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nympho

€20 for a full wheel alignment at my local place.

nympho wrote: »
    €20 for a full wheel alignment at my local place.

I'd love to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I paid €25 this morning at Hanover Tyres in Carrigtwohill for full alignment of my 07 Saab 9-5. They have the John Bean equipment.

That give you camber adjustment only so.

Regardless, its still a very good price for the full set up.

Nope. I have caster as well. It was 7 and it was moved to about 4.5. The whole shock mount moves for caster. Only the plate in the middle moves for camber.

Its a complete rip off that's what it is. 50 is a rip off which is what a lot of places look for never mind 60 but people are willing to pay.

I got 4 wheel laser alignment with camber etc done on my GTI for 30 euro. I was shown through the whole process and shown on the screen what was off and what was being adjusted to solve it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Anybody have any recommendations for getting the 4 wheel alignment done properly in Cork and a rough price?

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Anybody have any recommendations for getting the 4 wheel alignment done properly in Cork and a rough price?

John Banks tyres in turners cross should be around 30 euro as my above post, they are dead sound in there too. Give them a quick call to confirm a price for your own car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

John Banks tyres in turners cross should be around 30 euro as my above post, they are dead sound in there too. Give them a quick call to confirm a price for your own car.

Sweet, might check them out now tomorrow or Sat.

Its a complete rip off that's what it is. 50 is a rip off which is what a lot of places look for never mind 60 but people are willing to pay.

I got 4 wheel laser alignment with camber etc done on my GTI for 30 euro. I was shown through the whole process and shown on the screen what was off and what was being adjusted to solve it etc.

Which model Golf do you have? Presumably its a MK3 or a MK5/6?

Laser systems are old tech now but if someone did a proper job for €30 then you did well.

It obviously, in no way, means that €60 for have the full range of adjustments carried out on the latest equipment is automatically a rip off though. In the same way as saying that a bottle of mobil 1 oil is a rip off when you can get oil in your local filling station for much less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement