Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel alignment cost?

2»

Comments

Which model Golf do you have? Presumably its a MK3 or a MK5/6?

Laser systems are old tech now but if someone did a proper job for €30 then you did well.

It obviously, in no way, means that €60 for have the full range of adjustments carried out on the latest equipment is automatically a rip off though. In the same way as saying that a bottle of mobil 1 oil is a rip off when you can get oil in your local filling station for much less.

MK5.

System looked top class to me and quite new, I said "laser alignment" as I assumed this was the best type going. There was a read out on the screen very similar to the one you posted, not exactly the same look to it but it was giving the same readings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anything from 40 to 60e is fair,80 is a bit step no matter how good the equipment is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

MK5.

System looked top class to me and quite new, I said "laser alignment" as I assumed this was the best type going. There was a read out on the screen very similar to the one you posted, not exactly the same look to it but it was giving the same readings.

It may be new/fairly new but laser machines are the cheaper end of the scale these days compared to the latest camera/infra-red machines.

With a competent operator you'll still get a perfect job done though.

It could be argued that the expensive camera based machines are over kill for the average boring mobile on the road. Where they really come into their own is for precise set up of performance cars/lowered cars and when doing more advanced set ups then basic camber/toe adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It may be new/fairly new but laser machines are the cheaper end of the scale these days compared to the latest camera/infra-red machines.

With a competent operator you'll still get a perfect job done though.

It could be argued that the expensive camera based machines are over kill for the average boring mobile on the road. Where they really come into their own is for precise set up of performance cars/lowered cars and when doing more advanced set ups then basic camber/toe adjustment.

Are there many companys in the country using those systems?
    reason I ask is that when I replace my car I am considering a 30mm drop and would like to have it set up perfectly afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Last time i got this done, was fwd so only front wheels done, cost 25e in riverside ind est, in burkes in galway that was last year. i did ask around first and most places were 50e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

im with nissan, it entirely depends on the car. I had to get a hunter system to fix my accord.

some cars are fine with lazer, others need more precise equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nympho

I'd love to see that.

Got a wheel alignment done about a 2 weeks ago and that is what it cost me. Quick and easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Ireland is actually very cheap for wheel alignment, in the UK you'd pay over £100 to have wheel alignment done properly on quality equipment.

£90 in my local place.

mhigh86 wrote: »
    Last time i got this done, was fwd so only front wheels done, cost 25e in riverside ind est, in burkes in galway that was last year. i did ask around first and most places were 50e.

Again, what type of car is it? The fact thats its FWD means nothing about what adjustments a car requires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Again, what type of car is it? The fact thats its FWD means nothing about what adjustments a car requires.

Oh sorry, hadn't read all comments, it a corolla, they told me only can adjust front wheels, i thought it had to do with being a fwd.:rolleyes:

mhigh86 wrote: »
    Oh sorry, hadn't read all comments, it a corolla, they told me only can adjust front wheels, i thought it had to do with being a fwd.:rolleyes:

This is why proper wheel alignment costs more, your car has front and rear adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Anybody recommend anywhere in North Dublin to get a proper full alignment? My Jeep is pulling to the left slightly and dont want to try Advance but it's the only place left in Swords!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Phoenix Tyres beside Croke Park.
    Proper job, proper equipment. Proper guys.

Gatster wrote: »
    Anybody recommend anywhere in North Dublin to get a proper full alignment? My Jeep is pulling to the left slightly and dont want to try Advance but it's the only place left in Swords!

Which Jeep is it? Most Wranglers and Cherokees only have front adjustment, but the rear live axle can go off center which can only be corrected by aftermarket parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Do most garages use the recommended alignment settings as set out by the manufacturer for the car when laser alignment is being performed?

• Advertisement

Veloce wrote: »
    Do most garages use the recommended alignment settings as set out by the manufacturer for the car when laser alignment is being performed?

They should have, otherwise they can't do it correctly.

Any of the computer alignment systems normally have the settings pre programmed, you just have to select the specific type of can your aligning.

The highest spec machines have settings for world wide vehicle models so Japanese or US imports can be selected.

Which Jeep is it? Most Wranglers and Cherokees only have front adjustment, but the rear live axle can go off center which can only be corrected by aftermarket parts.
    It's a Grand Cherokee. I'm booking it into McCanns in Blanch when I get a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Paid €60 today to get wheel alignment done. Took about 30min of which only about half was actually spent working on the car.

Is this the going rate or was I smoked?

Were your tyres wearing unevenly?

Just wondering as folk are getting this done when theres no need. Particularly if the car is driven mainly on good roads.

Unless theres uneven edge wear on tyres or you have seriously kerbed the front wheels it shouldnt need to be done at all AFAIK, but I am open to correction!

Were your tyres wearing unevenly?

Just wondering as folk are getting this done when theres no need. Particularly if the car is driven mainly on good roads.

Unless theres uneven edge wear on tyres or you have seriously kerbed the front wheels it shouldnt need to be done at all AFAIK, but I am open to correction!

I always wonder how people drive a car every day and yet don't that the alignment is off unless the tyres wear! Wearing the tyres unevenly means the alignment is fairly badly off. It can be off in several ways without causing noticeable tyre wear.

While the alignment only being slightly off may not be an issue for your average runaround, but it would be noticeable to anyone with a feel for handling/feedback or for performance vehicles.

I always wonder how people drive a car every day and yet don't that the alignment is off unless the tyres wear! Wearing the tyres unevenly means the alignment is fairly badly off. It can be off in several ways without causing noticeable tyre wear.

While the alignment only being slightly off may not be an issue for your average runaround, but it would be noticeable to anyone with a feel for handling/feedback or for performance vehicles.

Is tyre wear not the actual evidence of misalignment?

Regular visual cheks should show up if the wheels are at odds with the road.
    I'm not talking high performance cars, ordinary family cars run on budgets.

If the tyres are ok save the money, its not going to improve anything nor will you feel any difference.

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote: »

sounds like a steering component, bushing, tie rod etc has failed.Any knocking heard over bumps?

Much play in steering when parked?

Maybe best to get steering checked first because if any of the tie rods have to be replaced it ll have to be aligned after that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

60 euro for alignment seems very expensive to me.
    The most I had to pay was 30 euro for alignment and that was with 3 different cars and it included both front and rear wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Probably going too easy

sounds like a steering component, bushing, tie rod etc has failed.Any knocking heard over bumps?

Much play in steering when parked?

Maybe best to get steering checked first because if any of the tie rods have to be replaced it ll have to be aligned after that anyway.

All that has been checked when it was in for a full service last week, there's no untoward play or sounds, and no wear on the suspension or steering components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Front wheel Alignment is Linear across the front wheels and corrects Longitudinal Toe...... angles measured 1. Solution rating 0

Four wheel Alignment is still Linear and corrects Longitudinal Toe, but in this case the rear wheels will be used as a scale to establish the rear centre line ( Thrust Angle ).....( Assuming ) the rear is central? then the result will be a centred steering wheel.... angles measured 1, reference points 2. Solution rating 1

Four wheel Laser Alignment...... as above don't be fooled!

Full Geometry is three dimensional and the only one for the MX.... or any other car. Angles measured 15+. Solution rating:- Absolute. >> Where can this be done in ireland

Is tyre wear not the actual evidence of misalignment?

Regular visual cheks should show up if the wheels are at odds with the road.
    I'm not talking high performance cars, ordinary family cars run on budgets.

If the tyres are ok save the money, its not going to improve anything nor will you feel any difference.

Yes it is of course, but its the final sign.

If the alignment is off enough to wear the tyres unevenly then anyone with a licence will be able to feel the problem before the tyres wear as the car will be pulling to one side, shimmying over bumps and uneven surfaces, poorly handling etc

You mention saving the money if the tyres are ok, if wheel alignment is off, even if not enough to visibly wear one side of the tyre, it will still be wearing the tyres faster then if it was perfect, meaning the tyres have to be replaced sooner, this does not save money. Also, misaligned wheels create more drag, meaning more fuel consumption, this does not save money.

Front wheel Alignment is Linear across the front wheels and corrects Longitudinal Toe...... angles measured 1. Solution rating 0

Four wheel Alignment is still Linear and corrects Longitudinal Toe, but in this case the rear wheels will be used as a scale to establish the rear centre line ( Thrust Angle ).....( Assuming ) the rear is central? then the result will be a centred steering wheel.... angles measured 1, reference points 2. Solution rating 1

Four wheel Laser Alignment...... as above don't be fooled!

Full Geometry is three dimensional and the only one for the MX.... or any other car. Angles measured 15+. Solution rating:- Absolute. >> Where can this be done in ireland

There are many places doing full 3D camera based alignment in Ireland, I haven't got a full list but I certainly know a few.

There are many places doing full 3D camera based alignment in Ireland, I haven't got a full list but I certainly know a few.

would it be expencive ?

would it be expencive ?

Well my place has it and we don't don't charge more then €65 for maximum adjustment.

its an mx5 i want it done to as they need to be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I got my MX5 done by the NissanDoctor last week - transformed the car, it felt itchy on the road (tramlining) before the alignment job, now it's as straight as an arrow.

I elected to go for the factory standard settings, but ND offered to enter some more aggressive camber etc in there if I wanted it.

franksm wrote: »
    but ND offered to enter some more aggressive camber etc in there if I wanted it.

so you have adjustable camber arms ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

The MX5 has by default.

Here's some info courtesy of http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/alignment.php

Front
    Caster: 5.0 degrees
    Camber: 1.0 degrees negative
    Toe-in: 1/16", 0.15° or 9 arcminutes total (1/32", 0.075° or 4.5 minutes per side)

Rear
    Camber: 1.5 degrees negative
    Toe-in: 1/16", 0.15° or 9 arcminutes total (1/32", 0.075° or 4.5 minutes per side)

Some info here too http://www.miata.net/garage/alignment/index.html

cant wait to read it l8r

so you have adjustable camber arms ??

MX5's have factory adjustable rear camber.

OK OK you have me converted!

Advertisement