Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping

• 06-06-2012 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Do people tip? Like tipping hairdressers?

I can't afford to go to a proper hairdresser salon, so i went to a hairdressing college where it is cheaper. Wash and cut for €20, so not bad.

But is there anyone a hairdresser here, if the college charges €20, do the students see any of this? Im sure they paid to the course, so i cant imagine them getting their money back with wages from the college.

I felt real guilty for not tipping the students, as i am just finished college myself but i can't afford to.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

The bigger the tits the bigger the tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I felt real guilty for not tipping the students, as i am just finished college myself but i can't afford to.
    Then you shouldn't feel guilty. If you don't have it for yourself, then you don't have it to give. The Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for. I've often given between 10 and 20 for a waiting tip, it takes hard times such as these to realise how far that money can go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If the service is good I tip and if not then I don't. If the food was not great but the service was good I would still give a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

If I have the money to spare I'll tip. If not then tough luck, they get paid anyway. I know it mightnt be alot but its something and im sure they get other tips.

i only tip in restaurants, for good service

• Advertisement

If I have the money to spare I'll tip. If not then tough luck, they get paid anyway. I know it mightnt be alot but its something and im sure they get other tips.

What if no one has spare money then they never get any tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The size of the tip is equal to how drunk I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Jesus. Again!?!

We haven't a had good go at immigrants in a while. Seems 'tipping' is taking that mantle in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Poor people like myself can't tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I pay €20 for a wash cut and blow dry from a proper hairdresser! That college is a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No. Because meals/pints/taxis cost more in Ireland because staff get a lot more basic pay than in the US, where tipping is a big thing because staff survive on it. So I'm not choosing to add to my own costs! I'd give a tip if I thought the service was particularly good for some reason, like a taxi guy going out of hiss way showing you around a strange place and not ripping you off or something like that. But not for just doing a job they already get paid to do. You don't tip in a shop and staff get paid equally as sh*t and don't usually get fed, unlike a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

hondasam wrote: »
    What if no one has spare money then they never get any tips.

Fair enough but people are still paying them for their service! Money is tight enough these days, as I've stated if i have the money I will give a tip, If not then I'll not lose sleep over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ffs, wrong thread again.
    :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Jesus. Again!?!

We haven't a had good go at immigrants in a while. Seems 'tipping' is taking that mantle in AH.

Its that time of the month again! :o

The size of the tip is equal to how drunk I am.

Brewers droop :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I only tip cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

When I was younger I pushed over some cows in a field, it that counts.

Edit: Beaten to it by Mick the wizard^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Jesus. Again!?!

We're due a review in both sectors, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I always give tips, somtimes, especially with people at work, the novelty wears off and they tell me to "feck off ya bleedin know-it-all". Best tip-always bend the knees, bend the knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I tip my Stetson as fine ladies pass and say "Evenin' Ma'am".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Watch Reservoir Dogs,there is a great scene at the start of the movie about tipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I thought you were gonna talk about cow tipping! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I used to go to the schools when I got highlights because it was half the price. They don't get any money though, so I used to try and tip if I could. But I mean nurses do placements & don't get paid, other students work hard & don't get paid. So if you consider that they are like other students, you don't really need to feel guilty not tipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As said in previous posts ,tipping is something I only do in restaurants after a good meal but it's always the norm for ladies to tip for a hair job done well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jesus. Again!?!

I was saying the other week we didn't have a taxi thread in a long time
    And then like Bus Éireann, none for ages and then we got two in a row :)

Yeah, could do with another fordingur thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

People who work hard and give you a good service deserve to be paid for it.

By the people that employ them.

I've no sympathy for the type of waster that feels they deserve a gratuity for doing their jobs properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I tip in restaurants, take away drivers, in the hairdresser's and beauticians

Used to tip taxi drivers, but they can jog on these days

humbert wrote: »
    People who work hard and give you a good service deserve to be paid for it.

By the people that employ them.

I've no sympathy for the type of waster that feels they deserve a gratuity for doing their jobs properly.
    Just as well you don't live in America were tipping is the norm .

You don't live in America do ya ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Latchy wrote: »
    Just as well you don't live in America were tipping is the norm .

You don't live in America do ya ? :pac:

It's different in America, but if tipping becomes commonplace it will happen here too. The employers will start to deduct the value tips from the normal pay for the job.

You end up with the crass, absurd situation where you the customer are paying the employee directly of your own volition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I never tip in Ireland, the reason they tip in America is because people who work in the service industry there get paid a lot less than the minimum wage so rely on tips. Here we have minimum wage so tipping is paying people twice, it's ridiculous!

humbert wrote: »
    It's different in America, but if tipping becomes commonplace it will happen here too. The employers will start to deduct the value tips from the normal pay for the job.

You end up with the crass, absurd situation where you the customer are paying the employee directly of your own volition.
    I never tip in Ireland, the reason they tip in America is because people who work in the service industry there get paid a lot less than the minimum wage so rely on tips. Here we have minimum wage so tipping is paying people twice, it's ridiculous!
    Not sure about now but It use to be the norm when I lived in Ireland to tip the lounge boys and girls in pubs which on a good day or night , might cover any shortage in wage .I don't like the tipping culture in America and would prefer to tip some individual on merit alone .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

If you cannot afford to tip then dont tip thats my rule,as pointed out earlier they tip in the states coz they get paid less and its their way of making the living,many foreigners ie me and you are asked state side open mouthed wheres the tip?If you cant afford it then you cant afford it,the holiday was expensive enough to begin with,youre hardly going to be throwing around 20's,and another thing not everybody in the states tips,those of the lower income scale or on stamps dont tip they just cant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

In theory I disagree with tipping (America's different obviously) but I always feel guilty about not tipping and end up doing it fairly often. :pac:

I don't mind tipping if somebody has done something that's beyond their actual duties - like a couple of times staff have helped me carry a tray I couldn't manage in a self-service cafe etc. I appreciate the assistance and leave a few euro.

I usually tip the girl that washes my hair at the hairdressers too and the odd taxi driver who leaves me in peace and doesn't moan about taking my cat in his carrier (even though I always check that it's ok to bring him when ordering the taxi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Tipping means something else where I'm from.

Advertisement