Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a few tips before moving to Cork

Options
  • 06-06-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey!

I got a job in Cork and I'm moving in July. So i need a few tips about were to live. The job is located in Mahon Area. So i would want something close to Mahon, it should be a calm area with low criminality,and safe. Any area that fits in that description?

I have looked around in Blackrock, is that a good place to live in? And what about Mahon and Beaumont?

Sorry if i put the thread in wrong section.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well you've just ruled out living in mahon so... As usual most areas cross over a bit...parts of blackrock(plush area) are a bit rundown ,parts of Mahon ( known as a bit rough ) are really nice ... Anywho Cork city is kinda small ..decide how your getting to work... Walk bike car bus . And then go live in the city centre anyway...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6 miroklose

I would prefer if it was in walking distance.

Jacobs island ( just across dual carriageway from Mahon point shopping centre)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Jacob Island seems a bit expensive. What about "Brickfields Skehard Road" or Oak Lawn Coakley?

miroklose wrote: »
    Jacob Island seems a bit expensive. What about "Brickfields Skehard Road" or Oak Lawn Coakley?

I'll be honest, not a part of town I'm so familiar with that I'd know the estates ... Skehard rd is fairly long , probably good and bad bits... I like the " feel " by blackrock village around the pier ect. Wouldn't think it's exactly a crime centre but it's prob not brill either depends a bit on what yr used to. Also depends what u want lifestyle wise. As I said earlier I'd live on the edge of the city centre, and cycle the 2.5 /3 miles to Mahon

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Just thought if yr walking or cycling u could live in rochestown on the other side of the river there's a foot bridge and path along the root of the old railway ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I think you might do better with this thread in the Cork City forum ... moving ...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Well just look up the bus routes if you intend to live outside the mahon peninsula or you could cycle.
    Lots of places to rent in Mahon, Blackrock and Douglas.
    You should really have a weekend down and scout around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i would recommend blackrock. i lived there for 3 years and it is a really nice area. depending which end you live in you are within walking distance of the city centre too which is nice. its only a short drive out ot mahon too

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corkipedia

You can't go wrong living in Blackrock if your are working in Mahon. Not sure if you are driving or walking to work. If you are walking Brickfields is a fair old trek.

Mahon is good too. Mariners Hall is a fairly new apartment complex in Mahon and isn't as expensive as Jacobs Island. Anywhere near Skehard Road would be best if working near Mahon Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ballintemple is a nice spot too..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

have u started language lessons yet and make sure u apply for ur Cork passport as well :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okay, thanks!

So if my salary would be around 1750 (before tax) per month, and the rent for an appartment would be around 750. Would that work? I have no idea for insurance,water,electricity etc.. prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Okay, thanks!

So if my salary would be around 1750 (before tax) per month, and the rent for an appartment would be around 750. Would that work? I have no idea for insurance,water,electricity etc.. prices.

That would not leave you a lot to live on really, you should consider a house or apartment share, less rent and you will split bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Markcheese wrote: »
    Skehard rd is fairly long , probably good and bad bits...

??? Sorry mate, but what are you on about? There aren't good and bad bits of Skehard road. It's all grand. A nice safe area.

The number 210 bus goes to Mahon. You can easily cycle to there from Ballinlough, Ballintemple, Blackrock, or Douglas. The bus route goes along the skehard road, in into the city center (grand parade) via the ballinlough road.

Well, I'm pretty sold on a few appartments/houses on skehard road. The only problem is the price. And as murphym7 said it won't leave me much to live on. So does anyone else have any suggestions on places?
    My salary before tax each month will be 1750. I'm single. So, suggestions?
    I want to rent, not buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Well, I'm pretty sold on a few appartments/houses on skehard road. The only problem is the price. And as murphym7 said it won't leave me much to live on. So does anyone else have any suggestions on places?
    My salary before tax each month will be 1750. I'm single. So, suggestions?
    I want to rent, not buy.

If it's 750 I presume you're looking at renting alone? If that's the case I doubt you'll be doing much better than 700 unless it's a dive...
    After tax you're talking 1,561, so that's tight enough.
    Your best option is to share an apartment/house so rent is less, as are bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

House/Apartment share is the way to go. There are some short leases in the area for 300/400 euro/month, or alternatively you can rent a room from some student accommodation for the summer months (mostly are not close to the area but you won't commit for a year lease and it will let you have time to look around and take a decision not in a rush)

Advertisement