Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths any level

• 06-06-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Anyone going to do all the part (a)'s first to get a bit of confidence going, then all the part (b)'s then (c)'s at the end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

No, but you have fun with that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

You want the examiner on your side. You don't want to annoy them by playing hide and seek with your questions. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If it works for you and you're used to it then by all means. If it's just an idea that popped in to your head now and you want to try it out during the exam, i'd advise you against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Anyone going to do all the part (a)'s first to get a bit of confidence going, then all the part (b)'s then (c)'s at the end?

I'm not hugely familiar with the new project maths course, but I assume that the questions are all still sectioned off into trig/algebra etc? Wouldn't you find it a bit annoying to be swapping through all the different sections? When you do the whole question together, the part A gets you into the basics of that section, and then you're in the mentality of that type of maths for the tougher questions. Do whatever works for you but don't let it be the first time you try this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Not gonna do it on paper one, it'd just annoy me. On paper two I'll start with the shorts and do all those first. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

The examiner may not view you in a favourable light should you do that.
    He has far better things to be doing, such as collecting his holiday pay and supporting enda kenny in all things un-rational and unconstitutional.... not to mention the ever enticing thought of money for all the hard work he's done in deciding the fate of leaving cert students.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

My teacher corrected papers last year and had a case like this. She said it was a nightmare to correct and the person didn't do well. She warned us all not to do it.

Personally speaking I wouldn't as well, you'll have to keep changing your mindset for each question.

But, as someone above me said if you've been doing it all the time then why stop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I do parts of it like this. But I do the part A, leave 2-3 pages, do the next one, leave the same. By the end of the paper I've it all in a nice neat booklet that looks like it's done all at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Yeah Im just gonna do whatever comes first and follow the paper, dont see how it could make a huge difference ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Usually its a good idea to do question by question as you aren't mixing up topics in your head, its easier for the examiner and sometimes (esp on the project maths) you need to use your first answer in the second part so it would be a pain going back looking for answers.
    The part A's are easy to get ya going, then the part B's are harder and then C's are harder again, its all too get ya 'warmed up' on that specific topic.

But, if you are doing it A's, B's and then C's all along and prefer it that way then stick with it because what works for you mightened work for someone else and at the end of the day, if you have the correct answer, the examiner can't take marks off because you didn't do them in order.

Attempt all of the parts, even if you don't know what to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement